Softlite hung window movement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
DAR

Softlite hung window movement

#1 Post by DAR »

I had six Softlite Elements double hung windows installed three years ago in my house. I had a question about the bathroom double hung window as after I set the locks for this window and you move the both panels up or down about 1/8” or a little more. I had the dealer look at this play in the window and said that it was ok no problem. Do you think my dealer is right, I have to push the window down to make sure that the bulb seal is down tight? :roll:

TheWindowNerd

Re: Softlite hung window movement

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Once the window is locked and the lower sash is down all the way do you feel any air infiltration?
If not then you are OK.

DAR

#3 Post by DAR »

When lower sash is down all the way I do not feel any air infiltration. I just don't thing I bought this window to make sure it was down on the seal after closing it evertime.

Thanks for your information.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Most of the time don't you open and close the lower sash? So you would normally be pushing it down so that it makes contact anyway.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. That amount of movement is engineered into the product to deal with movement that comes with temperature change. The key is whether or not you feel any type of air leakage after normal operation. You should not. If you do, that is when it would be advisable to have things checked out.
There are products with FAR more than 1/8" slop, the ELements is pretty tight.

DAR

#6 Post by DAR »

What brought this up was when cleaning the windows we saw the movement in this small bathroom window. The other windows we have are more than twice the size have little to no movement in the frame. So it brought up why the littlest window had the most movement of all the windows.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Impossible to say, there are plenty of factors that could go into it, from the travel that is considered allowable by manufacturer spec, to the installation. Again, as long as it is operating and sealing properly I would not throw up any red flags based on this issue alone.