window caulking

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
neubee

window caulking

#1 Post by neubee »

Well the contractor has finished installing my new vinyl siding; they installed aluminum-covered brick mold trim and j channel around my old windows so they can be easily replaced in the future without removing the siding. My ignorant question is this: should caulking be applied around the windows, and if so, where? Thank you for your help!

TheWindowNerd

Re: window caulking

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would normally caulk the capping to the window and the capping to the J channel.
Some siding crews I have had them blind caulk the J channel so you would not see it, that is not the norm.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

If the windows had nail fins I would not caulk the j, only where aluminum meets window.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:If the windows had nail fins I would not caulk the j, only where aluminum meets window.
+1

If the window is finned, it is well enough sealed there. I would prefer to let the J-channel expand and contract freely and independent of the window.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 on all of the posts above: It depends :mrgreen:
We would need to know all of the details of the window/siding installations to say definitively one way or the other. Sometimes caulk is advisable there, other times it would be only an aesthetic preference, perhaps even not ideal.
Best thing would be to talk to your installer about it.

neubee

#6 Post by neubee »

Thank you for your responses. Here's a photo of the window trim. It looks like they caulked the vertical edge where the trim meets the window, but is that enough? I thought the window edge should be caulked all the way around, but I'm not the expert and that's where I appreciate your help!
As for nail fins on these older windows (1989) I don't know if they have them. (They are Caradco wood windows with vinyl outside.)
Attachments
caulking.jpg
Here's a photo
(185.15 KiB) Downloaded 813 times

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

They added a drip cap so that is a good sign. Since they are 1989 wood windows with brickmold I'd guess that there is probably not a nail fin. That does not necessarily mean that those areas need to be caulked, its hard to say without know how everything was put together. For instance they could have put an extra bend on the brickmold trim that extends behind the J.
I can tell you why they didn't caulk however, because the j channel, brickmold, and window joints are all pretty flush. That doesn't leave much of an edge to caulk to for a clean bead. Even the best caulkers can look like amateurs when that is the case. I can't say that this is necessary so be careful about demanding it, but you could ask if they would put a nice little bead of clear around the perimeter. That would at least give you peace of mind and not show as much if the caulking is not perfect.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

If you're thinking of replacing those windows in the future the sealant between the j-channel and brickmold capping return would be more of a hassle regarding future work. I personally don't think that you need it in your case especially since you have almost parallel surfaces like Homesealed mentioned. If you had larger gaps or offset reveals of the marrying surfaces, I would want caulking there.

When I do new siding with older windows I bend a return flange to the capping to be fastened to the face of the sheathing and then taped like a new construction flange. However, if new windows are going to be potentially installed in the future that flange would have to be cut off in place and that's not fun for us to do. I do like the drip cap and trim formed capping detail. I can't believe I'm seeing a face nail, but that's just me be fussy as I clad most of my capping on as opposed to nailing it.

neubee

#9 Post by neubee »

Just a bit more information for you: Before re-siding there was no brickmold trim around my windows. I had awful water damage to the sheathing where the masonite siding failed so I am maybe over concerned but do not want to lie awake nights wondering if water is getting behind the new siding. Also have never had vinyl siding so want to be sure it's been done right. I will be speaking with the contractor in the next couple of days to go over my project...

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

I like doing it like Mike and would do it that way with nail-fin or not . Are there any pictures taken before the siding was applied? I would also be concerned about anything they did after seeing that face mounted nail,one way to f-up a nice wrap. Did they do this on more windows? Caulking is best when used only when needed, not knowing what they have done. If I was to caulk the J like they did I would not just do a side, I would go all the way at this point since it would look only partially caulked. I would not run a drip cap when I am replacing siding though it would not hurt. That nail is like a zit on someone's forehead though, can't stop staring.

neubee

#11 Post by neubee »

here's the wrapped window...
Attachments
before siding.jpg
(31.43 KiB) Downloaded 838 times

toddinmn

#12 Post by toddinmn »

That is wrong. Hopefully thery properly flashed it to sheathing and then ran flashing again for the tyvek, even if they did that (unlikely) the flashing would still be wrong since it is flashed at the bottom and the sides are under it. I'd Google "how to flash a window" and watch some of the bids. Pay close attention how they do the sills and head of the window.

Delaware Mike

#13 Post by Delaware Mike »

Good grief! Correct WRB and tape flashing are all of about 2 pages of directions and all over Youtube. It's so easy that I bet a Gieco caveman could do it, yet 9 out of 10 times we see things all wrong. I've just about given up hope for humanity.....................

fridge2020

#14 Post by fridge2020 »

These are all of the new construction framers that lost their union jobs and now do remodeling. Now they aren't just screwing up new construction, but remodeling projects as well. I hired a guy that supposedly installed 15,000 windows, mostly new construction but some remodeling. Guess what he does, same thing. Wrap the tyvek into the opening and tape all 4 sides. come on.

Delaware Mike

#15 Post by Delaware Mike »

That may just be the way that he was taught back in the day. It's not uncommon for the WRB to be tucked and fastened into the jambs prior to the flanged window being installed. That's actually one of the recommended AAMA methods regarding the WRB termination methods. I forget the exact classification of the several methods but they are numbered and we see this method more popular on the East Coast. I will refer to my Installation Master manual when I get a chance to clarify. I would never cover the bottom flange with tape of completely seal with sealant as that defeats the purpose of the water pan drainage system.