South Atlanta window options

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bulb120

South Atlanta window options

#1 Post by bulb120 »

Thanks to everyone who posts on this forum, it has been very helpful. I'm replacing (DIY) 21 wood single-pane windows with white vinyl windows. Twenty will be double hung (11 32x54, 7 32x74, 2 24x62) and one is a picture window (48x62). I don't have access to several of the brands I've seen recommended here (Okna, Polaris, Kensington, Home Guard) but I do have some good options.

For reference before I list the quotes... I've not considered top-of-the-line models because of budget constraints. I'm not looking for "fancy" options but I do want something well made that will last. I'd like a thin frame design (more glass area) because of the tall (74") windows. Its a small thing, but my wife and I don't like the look of a top sash bottom rail that sticks up to hide the lock latch from outside (like the Soft-lite Imperial LS or Atrium 8700/Lansing 80).

Here's the quotes I have so far and my thoughts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Soft-lite Pro - $5300 - Currently my top pick but I'd like to inquire about the Bainbridge. How do these two compare aesthetically? (my concern with Soft-lite is that I don't have a place to go see an actual window before I buy)

Sunrise "Sunrise" - $6200 - Too expensive unless there's a compelling reason

Ply Gem Premium - $5500

Simonton 5500 - $5200 - Not really considering because of thick frame (less glass area)

Simonton Asure - $4000

Alside Mezzo - $3800 - I know it's low-end, but I include it because it's my lowest priced option and I liked the looks/feel of the full-size display model. (I got American Craftsman, Atrium/Reliabilt/Lansing, Vinylmax, and VIWinTech quotes around this same amount but am no longer considering them after reading this forum.)

TheWindowNerd

Re: South Atlanta window options

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think ya should get to look at a sample of the SL Pro before you buy. For 21 windows the supplier should get or borrow a sample.

I am not an Alside fan, but in the past year I have had two clients request the Mezzo, which we installed for them. No problems or complaints thus far. Order with the reinforced sash.

bulb120

#3 Post by bulb120 »

Thanks WindowNerd. I would definitely get the reinforced sash with the Mezzo. As far as I can tell, I'd be sacrificing air infiltration and design pressure if I went with the Mezzo (I'm guessing mostly because of the relatively thin vinyl wall thickness). Do you think the Mezzo is poorly made (i.e. likely to fail in some way in 5-10 years) or they just made appropriate tradeoffs to lower the price? (I'm not convinced I need super low AI and a high DP - I've just used these as an indicator of a window likely to last longer).

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I realize you are doing the work but I would encourage you not to skimp here.

Under $300 for a premium window is not expensive by any stretch.

I wouldn't touch the Asure or the Mezzo personally. The 5500 is bulky as all get up as well.

Check the Soft-Lite offerings out and look for a Bainbridge or Imperial LS.

bulb120

#5 Post by bulb120 »

I've asked about the Bainbridge, but the supplier is unsure of whether or not they can get it or the Barrington. What options would I have to specify to make the Barrington equivalent to the Bainbridge (if possible)?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:I realize you are doing the work but I would encourage you not to skimp here.

Under $300 for a premium window is not expensive by any stretch.

I wouldn't touch the Asure or the Mezzo personally. The 5500 is bulky as all get up as well.

Check the Soft-Lite offerings out and look for a Bainbridge or Imperial LS.
+1. As a pro, I'd only use the SL Pro and Sunrise models off that list. Those prices are pretty reasonable as well.
That said, I'd second WoW's recommendation on something like the Imperial LS. Reason being is the the more narrow lined products like the Sunrise and Pro while good, are not as installer friendly and can take some "finagling". The more stout offerings like the LS are more DIY friendly. The Mezzo and Asure take that thin line thin to the extreme, and IMO are not in the same league as far as quality.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

With a quality installation you should be fine with the Pro. I've installed them in the past and it's a decent mid-grade product. I much prefer a more stout and higher engineered sash design like that of the Imperial LS as not only does the overall size of extrusion thickness warrant a more square and true frame, but the higher end offerings typically feature tri-point weatherstripping to master frame contact which will give you better performing air infiltration test results. Soft-Lite has one of the very best sills in the vinyl industry so that's good for you. Read what Homesealed preaches. He knows his stuff!