any suggestion for the vinyl windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
frank45

any suggestion for the vinyl windows?

#1 Post by frank45 »

Hi, i live in IL and i am planning to replace the aluminum windows to vinyl windows.one contractor quotes the 23 double hung windows for $13,000. and he recommend alliance and richards rbs performance plus. both with low e insulated glass and argon gas. Are them good brand and priced reasonable? if there is any other brand recommended around this price range? thanks a lot!

TheWindowNerd

Re: any suggestion for the vinyl windows?

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

There are three mfg that I would suggest:
Sunrise Vanguard or Restoration, Okna/HiMark , or Soft-lite.
On the surface your budget seems reasonable for 23 windows @ ~ $565.
There are two major components to replacing windows, the window and the install.
How do ya tell if a window is good? what are the basics that you need to have? Durability and performance with beauty. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Durability is sometimes expressed in the warranty. Minimum full twenty year warranty.
In performance it is easier because the windows are tested. Look for a double pane window with low e argon and a U value of .26- .28.
Another important test is air infiltration, how much breeze draft or air leakage will the window allow. Look for the actual test numbers, not a pass or fail number. In AI you want to be .09 or less, prefer .05 or less for best results. So the lower the number the better.
Installation I will comment on later.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Solid advice above.

Stay with the upper lines of each of those manufacturers as well. Sunrise Vanguard/Restoration, Okna Insul-Tec/EnviroStar, Soft-Lite Imperial LS/Elements.

Home Guard's Innovations is a nice piece as is the Kensington Quantum II.

Do you require and interior laminate?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Good advice above. How reasonable the budget is depends on what options you need ( ie: a woodgrain laminate, grids, exterior color, lead safe procedures, etc). If you are looking for a basic white on white with double pane glass, the price quoted is not out of the question. You can get a MUCH better window than those you've seen so far for that price or a little bit more.

frank45

#5 Post by frank45 »

TheWindowNerd wrote:There are three mfg that I would suggest:
Sunrise Vanguard or Restoration, Okna/HiMark , or Soft-lite.
On the surface your budget seems reasonable for 23 windows @ ~ $565.
There are two major components to replacing windows, the window and the install.
How do ya tell if a window is good? what are the basics that you need to have? Durability and performance with beauty. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Durability is sometimes expressed in the warranty. Minimum full twenty year warranty.
In performance it is easier because the windows are tested. Look for a double pane window with low e argon and a U value of .26- .28.
Another important test is air infiltration, how much breeze draft or air leakage will the window allow. Look for the actual test numbers, not a pass or fail number. In AI you want to be .09 or less, prefer .05 or less for best results. So the lower the number the better.
Installation I will comment on later.

Thank you for your advice. My situation is the we got a total amount about 20,000 from the insurance company hail damage during the summer time. among the three contractors ,one salesman suggest we use the money to replace the old window and siding instead of the roof and siding. that's why i am here looking for advice and thanks for everyone's help!

randy

#6 Post by randy »

So your insurance company determined that your roof sustained damage from hail, but the contractor is recommending that you leave the roof alone and instead use the money for new windows? :roll:

If the insurance company finds out they could cancel your policy. If they didn't cancel it outright, they could issue you a notice of cancellation, giving you a fixed amount of time to put a new roof on before the policy is cancelled. What happens if your roof begins to leak down the road? Should the insurance company be responsible since they paid for a new roof but you chose to use the funds for something else?

Your contractor is giving you poor advice, IMO.

frank45

#7 Post by frank45 »

randy wrote:So your insurance company determined that your roof sustained damage from hail, but the contractor is recommending that you leave the roof alone and instead use the money for new windows? :roll:

If the insurance company finds out they could cancel your policy. If they didn't cancel it outright, they could issue you a notice of cancellation, giving you a fixed amount of time to put a new roof on before the policy is cancelled. What happens if your roof begins to leak down the road? Should the insurance company be responsible since they paid for a new roof but you chose to use the funds for something else?

Your contractor is giving you poor advice, IMO.
the roof was approved partially and the contractor says its just cosmetic damage, that's why he recommend to change the window, but thank you for your advice!

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Big +1 to randy's advice. Not only would be allocating the funds to other areas be a form of insurance fraud, but insurance companies are not inclined to dole out funds unless you have a legitimate problem. Hail damage may only look like cosmetic damage, but it compromises the integrity of your roof and should be replaced. Based on your description, this contractor is uninformed at best (doesn't know much about roofing), if not unethical at worst (just wants to sell you the project with higher margins).
Either way, I'd move on to another company and get the items fixed that the insurance company is specifically paying for.

frank45

#9 Post by frank45 »

HomeSealed wrote:Big +1 to randy's advice. Not only would be allocating the funds to other areas be a form of insurance fraud, but insurance companies are not inclined to dole out funds unless you have a legitimate problem. Hail damage may only look like cosmetic damage, but it compromises the integrity of your roof and should be replaced. Based on your description, this contractor is uninformed at best (doesn't know much about roofing), if not unethical at worst (just wants to sell you the project with higher margins).
Either way, I'd move on to another company and get the items fixed that the insurance company is specifically paying for.

thanks again!

fridge2020

#10 Post by fridge2020 »

Good advice from the other guys. Keep everything above board and you should be okay.
I don't think very highly of the 2 windows that you have seen.