Which is the most reliable replacement window on a budget???

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mfer2k

Re: Which is the most reliable replacement window on a budget???

#16 Post by mfer2k »

No I appreciate your thorough reply HomeSealed. I mean the company has been around 10 years and has maintained these prices the whole time so I just don't know what to think. It definitely sounds fishy but I'm going to see what I can figure out when they come over based on just openly asking the guy about his business and looking at the product.

When companies bring vinyl window samples to your home, what kinds of tests should a consumer do to try to make an opinion on the quality of the product?

fridge2020

#17 Post by fridge2020 »

People operate shady businesses all of the time, many times undetected for years. Most times what goes around comes around at some point. The other guys are right, even a cheap window can't be installed for that price if things are on the up n up. It doesn't take much to be considered "a business", he probably doesn't have all of the needed insurance, licenses, etc, or let them lapse. I know one guy in particular who has "a business" that hasn't paid taxes in 15 years. He owes 6 figures and is on a payment plan. He has already messed that up a few times, next time he supposedly will be locked up. Business won't survive that. Highly doubt that people would choose to work with him if they knew that info, even though he has been "in business" for 20 yrs. I would not work with any company that does not have a physical office and showroom, stellar record with the BBB and Angie's list etc, ask for proof of insurance and licenses, make sure that they pull permits, etc. It won't be surprising that all of the options in that price range will be disqualified at that point.

mfer2k

#18 Post by mfer2k »

I do look for a lot of those things which is what makes it stranger. They're fully licensed and insured and are certified or affiliated with:

ENERGY STAR® Qualified
Earthwise Group
Good Housekeeping Seal
BBB A+ Rating
American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA)
National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC)
Aller-Guard®
Microban®
ERG™ Energy Reflective Glass
Envirosealed™
Duralite®

Something has got to give though I guess...

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#19 Post by masterext »

[quote="mfer2k"]I do look for a lot of those things which is what makes it stranger. They're fully licensed and insured and are certified or affiliated with:

ENERGY STAR® Qualified
Earthwise Group
Good Housekeeping Seal
BBB A+ Rating
American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA)
National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC)
Aller-Guard®
Microban®
ERG™ Energy Reflective Glass
Envirosealed™
Duralite®

What ???? They have an affiliation with the BBB but i guarantee they arent directly affiliated with the others.
If it works out, more power to you although i cant imagine a deal like this in the land of make believe , never mind the real world. That said, good luck, you seems to have it all figured out. This post is getting old.

HomeSealed

#20 Post by HomeSealed »

As Nerd said, those are not dealer specific affiliations. They are primarily affiliations of the Earthwise group and some are just brand names for some of the window features. Duralite for instance is a glass spacer system, which may or may not even be in the windows that you are being quoted.
On the BBB rating, did you look the company up and see that for yourself? Otherwise that rating could belong to Earthwise as well.

mfer2k

#21 Post by mfer2k »

I wanted to follow up after getting quotes by both the Earthwise window as well as Okna. I think the dealer for the Earthwise windows was going to do an okay job and the product looked okay also, but I really didn't like the look of the welded corners, it was very inconsistent from one corner to another. I also just think I'll sleep better after going with the dependable window of the Okna.

Before the Okna dealer left I asked him if that's the best he could do and he said he would upgrade me from the 400 series to the 500 series if I let him know by next week. I'm sure that's a big sales tactic they use often but I'm going to go for it anyway. Just out of curiosity, do you guys think there's much of a difference between the two? It's pretty much just putting locks on the screens and insulation inside the frame I think, is that significant?

He also quoted me on the Elegante patio door. Do you guys have any opinions on this door? Does anyone know if these doors come with screens standard? I forgot to ask.

Lastly, he was pushing half screens rather than full screens (full screens are an extra $12 per window). My father was telling me that full screens look better than half screens from looking at the house from the outside. I hear that you get more light in from the upper sash with the half screens. The dealer also said the full screen is much more difficult to remove and put back on. What are people's thoughts on this?

Delaware Mike

#22 Post by Delaware Mike »

Full screens are typically more difficult to get in and out especially to clean the sills. I really like the OKNA full screens with that being said but they can be trying at times. Full screens do give most vinyl windows the look of modern wood clad windows from the exterior. If you're only going to mess with the screens like once or twice a year I'd say go with them, if you want to change them out seasonly and perform lots of cleaning to your new windows stick with the half screens.

Elegante patio door are super nice. I love installing them. I personally have a decent Sugarcreek (ProVia) vinyl slider in my own house installed back in 2003 and I can't wait to rip that thing out and put an Elegante with internal blinds and brushed nickel hardware in it's place. Screens are standard with pretty much all quality vinyl sliders out there except for those rock bottom stripped down units out of Depot or Lowes so no worries about extra cost with your Elegante.

The 500 is a better window than the 400 in my opinion. I like the master frame much better.

TheWindowNerd

#23 Post by TheWindowNerd »

great comments by DM.

mfer2k

#24 Post by mfer2k »

I don't plan on doing lots of maintenance throughout the year so it sounds like full screens are the way to go.

The Elegante sounds great, I'm sold.

Thanks for your input.

HomeSealed

#25 Post by HomeSealed »

Great advice from Mike. On the screens, the full units will provide a higher end look, as well as the ability to vent both the upper and lower at the same time. That said, many people prefer that clear view out of the sash, so half screens are by far the most common.

On the door: Excellent product. Top performing door on the market (AI and U factor), and it is a VERY substantial piece. If there is one word of warning that I may give, it would be that given the heft and seal of the unit, it is not a one finger operator. It is certainly able to be operated by everyone including small children, but you will notice that it offers more resistance than whatever unit it is replacing due to all of the weatherstripping and tight tolerances.

On window, the 500 series is a must IMO. The 400 is fine, but the 500 has a completely different frame which is a bit more stout. The locking screen and foam filling are the "Deluxe" upgrade package, available on 400 or 500 series models. I'd highly recommend that as well.

Wise choice on the windows btw. Definitely an upgrade in product (even the 400), and more than likely on the dealer as well.

mfer2k

#26 Post by mfer2k »

Oh okay, I must've gotten confused between the 500 series and the deluxe upgrade. Is there an easy way for me to tell from looking at it that it's the 500 series (and not the 400 series) when they install it?

Moments ago I verbally agreed to terms over the phone and I'm excited for the install. Just to confirm, is it standard to make a down payment of 1/3 of the contracted price at contract signing?

bgbrock

#27 Post by bgbrock »

is it standard to make a down payment of 1/3 of the contracted price at contract signing?
Yes.

HomeSealed

#28 Post by HomeSealed »

Anywhere from 25-50% down is pretty standard.

To tell the difference between the 400 and 500, the easiest way is that the 500 series has a utility groove around the perimeter both interior and exterior. It also has a single layer foam wrap around the frame from the factory. The 400 has neither of those.