Schuco in MN - is this a typical Schuco bid?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
window_flunky

Schuco in MN - is this a typical Schuco bid?

#1 Post by window_flunky »

o.k., I'm not very knowledgable about the whole vinly window scene, but it looks like there are some great window minds on this board. Last week I agreed to an in-house Shuco "estimate" in my MN home. Windows were 5 sliders, all fairly close to 42 x 54, wood-look interior.

After a long presentation, I received a "You must buy now for our one-day only price" of $5600". This was down from their initial list price of $8900, since they were offering us their "We're dropping our pants for you" price which they said was at cost.

I absolutely loved the look of the Shuco's, but expressed a bit of sticker shock (I hadn't been pricing vinyl windows, but would have guessed nice vinlys to come in at around $3500). I was given a condescending little speech on how naive I was, and how I was the only person in at year who thought their prices were high. I got another little lecture about how they couldn't believe I would compare Shucos to Andersons, which I'd brought up as an example of a quality window that I thought would be far less than Shucos. But in their words, Andersons are "junk" anyway.

Don't get me wrong, the window itself I loved, and it looked downright elegant, well-made, and I'd love to have them in my home. It's just the $1100+ per window (and the first friendly, than insulting sales pitch) that I find off-putting. Has anybody else experienced Shuco in MN? Any info or thoughts would be welcome.

harpo

#2 Post by harpo »

It's a shame that some sales reps are so shallow that they think they can say things like "we're dropping our pants" or the real corker "this is at cost". Profit is not a 4 letter word. For a salesman to think a customer would buy the premise that a window company would sell, install, and warranty a window job for no profit is just plain crazy. And you know what they say, once a liar, always a liar.

Schuco sliders are a pricey window and when you add woodgrain, it gets real pricey. when replacing some sliders, you have to add inside stops, casing, etc. Depending what has to be done to your house, that might not be too bad of a price.

As far as the buy tonight to get the price stuff, that dealer probably has a "rehash " program and if the salesman doesn't get the sale that night, it will be handed off to someone else to do what it takes to get the deal. Therefore the saleman is forced to krank up the pressure to get the deal on the first night or they get nothing. It's a shame that dealers with a great window like schuco have to do stuff like that. I hope it catches up with them.

So no one else thought that his windows were expensive? Oh sure, you bet. Did he really expect you to buy that one? It's a shame that you got that treatment -- it is a good and unique product but with all the "tin man talk" you received, I don't blame you for being put off.

Where in Minnisota are you located?

Guy

#3 Post by Guy »

Well there are only two Schuco dealers I know of here in MN. I know one of them is fairly new to Schuco and really doesn't use the high pressure stuff. So that narrows it down some what. The Schuco slider happens to be e gem of a window. It's by far the best on the market. If your sold on the Schuco then just find out who the other dealer is and give them a call. The only two I know of are Sealguard Systems and Renaissance Exteriors. You can pick the other and give them a call. Just don't bash one or the other because of pricing. Good Luck!!

WindDoze

#4 Post by WindDoze »

window_flunky

As Guy said, there are two Schuco dealers in MN. If your experiance mentioned above was from my company...I apologize, and would like to know who your rep was offline. If it wasn't....I encourage you to look around.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#5 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

The Schuco Slider is a great window and it's worth more..............but thats a little high. Remember who signs the check, this time of the year you should be able to negotiate with the dealers. Andersen makes a slider I consider to be an excellent product (and the only one they make that I do) but its wood and full jamb and probably priced just as high, but it's something else to look at. Top shelf vinyls should run around $750@ for that size with those options including cladding. So is a Schuco worth that much more..............not really, I would call the Schuco man back and offer him about $750.00 less............he'll take it.

turnkey

#6 Post by turnkey »

heres some real advice without plugging what "I" sell. in my opinion""" pella , anderseN, silverline, napco, = low end junk! great buys worth every penny would be in my "OPInioN" Great Lakes Windows, Milgard, Peachtree, Schuco, each of these companies of the opinion of good have great lines of windows. remember knowledge is power , do your homework. all of the sites i mentioned have very very good websites. packed with information , Great lakes even does the math for you. good luck with your window venture.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#7 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

So Pella and Andersen are junk, and your comparing them with Silverline. What planet are you from? Go take a look at the Andersen 400 slider with the fiberglass ext........open it play with it. I find it hard to believe they make such a unit after looking at my Renewal sample. The Pella Designer series same thing........their not junk. They may not be a value, but their not junk. And than to applaud Great Lakes..........I just put in 200 of their single hungs..........now that I call junk. Great Lakes has always been overpriced but they do make two very premium windows in the Plygem and Uniframe but again pretty pricy, and btw Schuco is not in that class .........have you ever seen one? the thing is built like a brick s... house. Knowledge is power.......yup your right, but let's not forget a very big word VALUE. Combine that with a couple of smart pills and the consumer can do battle with the blue suede shoe people. I don't see this business changing any time soon, in fact it's going to get worse b'4 it gets better because the supply far exceeds the demand. The good news for the consumer is lower prices.

usmarine0352

#8 Post by usmarine0352 »

That is a shame that that happened to you.

If you still want Schuco, it is a great product.
Last edited by usmarine0352 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

ppj

#9 Post by ppj »

window_flunky

How did things turn out?

ppj

#10 Post by ppj »

Oops, posted twice by mistake, dang slow internet. Sorry.