Another need help with windows choice, Vytex, vs Soft-Lite..

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
keithl

Another need help with windows choice, Vytex, vs Soft-Lite..

#1 Post by keithl »

So I was set on Sunrise Vanguard windows, but the only seller in town messed up my order twice and was somewhat more expensive ten several other choices. Okna 800 is available, but only through one reseller that has been unresponsive. I have one quote from a very popular vendor in Atlanta that carries many brands, but has a hard push on Vytex Fortis. He has quoted me $8730 for 14 windows compared to the unresponsive vendor who quoted me $8950 for the Okna 800. The Sunrise Vanguard order that got messed up twice was around $9500. The Vytex dealer says I can get Soft-Lite Elements for around the same money as the Vytex, but they have been mostly selling Vytex for over 10 years and have minimal issues which is why they push them so hard.

House currently has wooden single pane double hung with storm windows. Drafty as We rarely open windows so my main priorities are AI, noise insulation and something that looks decent. I plan on being in the home for a long time so want these to last, but they will get minimal use.

I am in Atlanta and most of my house is in shaded areas so I am more concerned with air infiltration and noise suppression that VT and UV ratings.

Any thoughts? Is there another option I am missing? My GC on my remodel really was pushing Alside Mezzo due to their better warranty, more glass area, better locks.

Thanks in advance!!

randy

Re: Another need help with windows choice, Vytex, vs Soft-Lite..

#2 Post by randy »

While other here know more about Vytex, The Soft-lite's Elements is a solid window with great ratings. It's certainly one of the top three windows, in terms of performance, on the market today.

Alside is not a product that I would recommend to anyone. Between the flimsy vinyl, bad design, and extremely poor customer service, it's a low-end choice IMO.

keithl

#3 Post by keithl »

How would the Soft-Lite Pro compare as the Vytex guy is telling me the Elements is a restricted to certain dealers brand.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

I thought the Vytex sales rep was telling you that he could get the Elements for you if you preferred it. Was I reading your post wrong, or did the Vytex sales rep back away from his original statement?

The Soft-lite Pro is a step down or two from the Elements. I'd recommend sticking with either the Elements or the Imperial LS.

keithl

#5 Post by keithl »

I must have misunderstood him, because when I follwed up with him he said he could get the Pro. I think while they "carry" several brands I think they do not try hard with anything other than Vytex. Can't believe how hard it is to find dealers for certain makes/models seems a bit anti-competitive some brands are. Can only find one Sunrise Reatorarions dealer in area, one Soft-Lite Elements and one Okna dealer. As unresponsive as the Okna/Soft-Lite dealer was I may need to try him. He just kept mixing up the quotes.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Keith,

If you want to email me, I can make an inquiry with the dealer that you met with.

Sometimes, despite out best efforts, things can slip through the cracks.

The Vytex window is a pretty solid window once you start looking at their upper end lines and the Fortis is pretty good. Clean lines and pretty good numbers.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above. The Okna 800, Sunrise Vanguard, and Softlite Elements are three of the top performing vinyl windows on the market. I don't think that you could go wrong with any of the three to be honest. Pick which one you like best, or better yet, pick the contractor that you find most reliable and trustworthy.
The Vytex and SL Pro are both solid, albeit a step down from those top three.

keithl

#8 Post by keithl »

Yeah that is where I am at right now. The Sunrise Essentials price is still $1800K over Okna 800, but Okna dealer is MIA. I can get the Vytex Fortis for about $400 more than the Okna 800, but that dealer has been super responsive and has hundreds of positive reviews. Unfortunately Okan and Soft-Lite dealer is the same, although the Vytex guy says he can get me Soft-Lit, but keeps mentioning the Pro line. Trying to see if he can get the LS line.

I did call Okna today and they confirmed in GA there is only one dealer, but they are evidently working to correct that. They also have forwarded my info to their internal sales team to see why my dealer is unresponsive as in the end they loose the sale. They were easy to get a hold of and very accommodating. Seems the Vytex Fortis is not a bad window and the dealer seems to be the go between for warranty issues so the bad rep Vytex has in that area may be buffered by the dealer.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

No reason that the Essentials should ever be bought, not to mention at a higher price, over the Okna 800.

Keep me posted and we will see that you get steered in the right direction.

randy

#10 Post by randy »

Wow! The Sunrise Essentials is waaaaaay overpriced. It's not even close to being in the same league with Okna 800 or even the Soft-lite Pro.

keithl

#11 Post by keithl »

randy wrote:Wow! The Sunrise Essentials is waaaaaay overpriced. It's not even close to being in the same league with Okna 800 or even the Soft-lite Pro.
The Sunrise dealer in Georgia is know for high prices. I don't mind paying for quality and service, but there are too many options so I guess Sunrise is out. Will wait if Okna has any luck waking up the local dealer, if not then I guess Vytex it is, unless I can find another Soft-Lite dealer in town.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Hang tight for the Okna, they are very good windows.

keithl

#13 Post by keithl »

I emailed Soft-Lite and they passed my info on to Zen Windows. The Zen owner emailed me quickly and once I supplied sizes had me a quot ein less than an hour. Seems they sell a private label Soft-Lite window. They could not tell me what Soft-Lite they equate to and his initial pricing was $9900 so $1500 more for private Soft-Lite than Soft-Lite elements form the unresponsive dealer. He wants to push me into triple pane for $11,300. I am in Atlanta not Minnesota, he says it is more energy efficient and help deaden more sound. Boy window shopping is really rising to the top of the most hated things list, worse than cars or anything else.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

It can be a PITB if you get a couple of dingbats in your quote line up.

The Elements and the Okna 800 are likely the cream of that crop but if dealing with the guys is a grind, the Soft-Lite Pro and Imperial LS are solid as well.

keithl

#15 Post by keithl »

Thanks for the advice. I would live to get the Okna, but not looking good. No response from dealer. He had an amazing price. Ironically for giggles I called Window World and for same Windows in the 4000/Mezzo with all the options loaded up they come in at $6800, for 500 more I want the Okna's bad. I am going to see the Vytex guy to confirm what he can and can't get in the Soft-Lite lineup.