What is the best energy efficient window for Dallas Texas

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
DallasTexas

What is the best energy efficient window for Dallas Texas

#1 Post by DallasTexas »

Hi,
I live in the Dallas-Ft Worth Texas area and need to replace 5 arched windows in the front of my house which faces North.

I have been doing research on window stats and companies and have found quite a bit of information out there but I dont quite understand how it all relates to my area.

I have been looking at two window manufacturers which are NT Windows(Traditions) and Sunrise (single hung). I can't find too much information on NT Windows but there is an abundance of information on Sunrise.
Both products seem to offer good U-factor and SHGC ratings but I dont know what their 2014 Air leakage, Water Tight, Wind Load or Forced Entry or R ratings are.
My questions are:
1) Is there a window manufacturer that offers a better window than the two
mentioned above for my area?
2) Which of the two windows are superior (i.e. energy, durability, warranty) and why?
3) Is there a dealer in my area that installs both? I have only been able to find
dealers/installers that deals with one or the other but not both
4) Do I need to be concerned with all of the ratings mentioned above? Can they be
found anywhere?
5) Is triple-pane glass, foam filled seals an overkill for my area?
6) Is krypton filled gas an overkill for my area?
7) Which balance system is superior? Block and Tackle or Constant?

This is the first time I have ever had to replace windows and your help would be greatly appreciated.

randy

Re: What is the best energy efficient window for Dallas Texas

#2 Post by randy »

Are these arched operating windows or arched fixed windows?

1) I don't think there are better choices in manufacturers, but the Sunrise double hung is a better choice than the Sunrise single hung since the single hung is not internally reinforced. In Texas, purchasing a vinyl window that is not reinforced is a non-starter for me.

2) I'd rate the NT Traditions of the Sunrise single hung, but not over the double hung. Sunrise has the better warranty. Both are available with Cardinal's Low-E366 glass which is what you'll want.

3) Any dealer who sells Sunrise in Texas can get NT without any problem, just not the Traditions. The Presidential is an equivalent window though, and worthy of consideration.

4) Yes, the ratings of a window are always important considerations. Ask the dealers for copies of the AAMA ratings on the windows.

5) yes

6) yes

7) They're both good choices and will serve you well for the life of the window. Personally I prefer the block and tackle as I think it provides smoother operation, but that's really just preference. Don't let that be a major factor in choosing.

DallasTexas

#3 Post by DallasTexas »

Randy,

Thank you so very much for your help; it is very much appreciated.
The Windows I am in need of replacing are operable and not fixed.

Just a few more questions if you don't mind.

1) You had mentioned the Presidential window but I am not familiar with that one.
Can you tell me who manufacturers it?

2) Do you know of anyone in my area that you would recommend I contact?

3) I read somewhere that having triple pane windows would noise down.
Since my windows are in the front, would triple pane windows cut down on
noise alot more than double pane glass or would I be able to tell the difference?

4) If I have even more questions, would you object to me giving you a call?

Thanks again for your help!

randy

#4 Post by randy »

1) The Presidential is another line by NT Windows. The Traditions is basically just a version of the same window, but used to allow a contractor to private label.

2) Unfortunately, I'm sorry but I don't.

3) Triple glazed has never been proven to reduce noise appreciably that I'm aware of. You'd be better off going with offset glass (3/16" over ⅛"), or stepping up to laminated glass.

4) You are welcome to call me and I'll help however I can.

DallasTexas

#5 Post by DallasTexas »

Randy,
Thanks again - You have been a great help!

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

DallasTexas wrote:Randy,
Thanks again - You have been a great help!
Randy is a great resource to this board and the Lonestar state.

Thank you Ultra Windows!!

:D :D