Glass Breakage

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tluke

Glass Breakage

#1 Post by tluke »

Hi All,

I had some new windows installed a couple of weeks ago. After the install, I inspected the windows and everything looked good. This morning I noticed that an interior pane of a dual glazed window had a crack that spanned the upper right to the lower right corners (arcing through the center) of the casement window.

We have not operated the window since the inspection and neither my wife or I have hit the window.

Therefore the question for you guys - Is it common for windows to spontaneously crack? And if so, what is the cause.

Thanks if advance,

Tom

TheWindowNerd

Re: Glass Breakage

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

That would more than likely be a "stress" crack. Either wind or temperature caused a fault in the glass to become a crack. It will be covered under your warranty. Normally if you make it through the first year you will not see anymore.

The fault that I mentioned earlier is typically caused during the window/IGU mfg process. The concealed edge of the glass has a small ding or chip that with force applied will generate a crack.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1, common occurrence. As Nerd said, some type of "jarring" event to the glass will cause a crack to shoot from any imperfection on the edge of the glass. Could be wind, operation, extreme temperature, or rapid temp changes. Not a big deal, and also as Nerd said, most times you will see this happen in the first year or two if ever.

tluke

#4 Post by tluke »

Thanks guys! I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge!

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

+2

Stress crack and quite a normal occurrence and covered repair.

fridge2020

#6 Post by fridge2020 »

Sounds like a stress crack to me