Thermal Industries vs Okna in WI

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rexman2000

Thermal Industries vs Okna in WI

#1 Post by rexman2000 »

Looking at getting some replacement windows in Waukesha, just outside of Milwaukee. I have a quote for Thermal Industries and one for Okna, both highly rated companies, both similarly priced. It is the Okna 500 deluxe, and the Thermal Industries model is a custom unit manufactured specifically for this company. I was considering the Alside mezzo as well, but I'm disqualified that option based on my research. So the okna seems to get all kinds of love here and in most of my research, but I'm not seeing much on Thermal Industries. It sounds pretty impressive with the custom build, but some feedback would be great. I also read somewhere that Thermal had a chapter 11 or some sort of bankruptcy proceeding a few years back, but the details are sketchy. Any input on that and whether or not it should be a concern?

randy

Re: Thermal Industries vs Okna in WI

#2 Post by randy »

Good decision to dismiss the Alside Mezzo, it's really not a window that should be considered by most homeowners with a reasonable budget and an interest in buying windows that perform well year after year.

In an environment with extremely cold winters, keeping indoor air in and outdoor air out is particularly important. Okna's Air Leakage rating is one of the best in the industry, making it a great choice.

The second part of the equation is getting an installation that doesn't undermine the performance of the window. If your quote on Okna is from HomeSealed, you've found one of the very best. If it's not, I'd recommend getting him out to see how his installation stands out from the competition.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

If they are in your area, contact HomeSealed. Great bunch of guys over there and Brandon is an outstanding person.
He posts on this very forum under " homesealed". You can also search his name and hit his contact button. He is one of the best contractors i had the pleasure of meeting, he has actually helped me a few times.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I wouldn't put much stock into the idea of something being made specifically for that guy.

Get a CPD number and compare the products that way.

In your climate, no reason I wouldn't be looking at triple pane as an option.

Be sure to compare air infiltration rates as randy stated as well.

rexman2000

#5 Post by rexman2000 »

Been lurking for a bit, thanks for confirming those thoughts for me.
What about the Thermal window though? I can't find much out about it. I just want to get all the facts before I choose. TIA

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Most of them are a pocket sill window which I don't care for in a freezing climate.

Not sure what model they are quoting.

fridge2020

#7 Post by fridge2020 »

TI did have a "reorganization" not too long ago. Old design, old technology, average performance at best, and an unstable financial situation (from what I can tell) do not bode well. In a day and age where manufacturers are dropping like flies, I'd be a little scared about that line and anyone that carries it. That is mostly speculation, but so was the thought process before Gorell went under, and Republic, and Serious, and ...well, you get the picture. Again, just speculation on my part.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I also would suggest the Okna, I use it often and have great results.

As to installers, the other part of the 200% proposition, you would be foolish not to contact Homesealed if in their service area.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

TheWindowNerd wrote:
As to installers, the other part of the 200% proposition, you would be foolish not to contact Homesealed if in their service area.
+1 Brandon has a top notch installation program at Homesealed. He's the "Aaron Rodgers" of the window installation game there in Wisconsin. :mrgreen:

Go Bears! (next year)

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#10 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Brandon, I'm going to cut you off before you even think to reciprocate my compliment in a future post. DO NOT tell anyone I'm the "Jay Cutler" of the window installation game here in Illinois! :lol:

Go Bears! (next year)

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

I was never impressed with Thermal Industries. You might want to throw a discount double-check towards Homesealed as Brandon has a stellar reputation.

rexman2000

#12 Post by rexman2000 »

So you are saying that Thermal is the Jay Cutler of replacement windows? :lol: just kidding. I'm leaning toward the Okna line at this point, although the better half is still pushing for wood. Thanks for the input

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

The way that Aaron Rodgers played last night....He could be the TI of windows too!!