Single Picture/Single Hung Hybrid to Two Double Hungs

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
FusilliJerry

Single Picture/Single Hung Hybrid to Two Double Hungs

#1 Post by FusilliJerry »

How involved would it be for an installer to remove one large (approx.) 64X66 window that consists of a center single hung and two outer picture panes into two double-hung windows? This is a 1920 South Philadelphia rowhome with original brick exterior. From what I can tell, two standard windows are what was original construction and I think would look better than a casement or picture/single double hung hybrid. The window there now is some horrendously cheap 70s vinyl unit that does not have a square, tight component to be found, leaks air like a sieve, and seems like it would fall out onto the street with a good shove.

Windows on Washington

Re: Single Picture/Single Hung Hybrid to Two Double Hungs

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not difficult at all.

Figure on full tear out charges, new interior casing, and unit charges.

You will also have to deal with Lead Safe (RRP) costs.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I have done some like that in Philly.
Last one I remember we took out a small 3 lite bow and returned it to a twin DH.
Turned out great.

FusilliJerry

#4 Post by FusilliJerry »

What kind of money would I be looking at all things considered, with an OKNA 800 dual double-hung, 3 pane, full lamination, cocoa brown exterior? Or would you perhaps recommend something else? My top concerns are actually sound attenuation and low maintenance.

Ball park; I fully understand that you can't hang your hat on a description.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

The " ball park" price would probably be close to what your contractor quoted you.
If you have a good installer/ contractor , you are set. It would be both unfair and difficult for us to comment on price.

FusilliJerry

#6 Post by FusilliJerry »

masterext wrote:The " ball park" price would probably be close to what your contractor quoted you.
If you have a good installer/ contractor , you are set. It would be both unfair and difficult for us to comment on price.
Here's the thing. I'm saving money for this; socking a bit away out of each check into a "window fund". I haven't even gotten a quote yet because I want to know ABOUT where to be with that fund. I don't want to call someone in for a quote and find out I'm way off.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

some where between 2400 to 2500.
white, GBG, full screens.

FusilliJerry

#8 Post by FusilliJerry »

Follow up; wound up getting 4 Okna 500s in bronze, triple pane, full screens. Two to replace the window I had mentioned before and two more for the second floor to finish off the front of the house. I like the windows except I wish the lower track that's exposed to the outside was also bronze.

Ultimately disappointed with the installation. I contacted OKNA directly for a list of contractors and they had one contact me. Should have just contacted you guys directly.

They broke a piece off one of the stick-on stucco sills and wouldn't fix it because it was "loose" (broke off as a piece from what I could tell before or after was a solid piece of form stucco) . Somewhat sloppy caulking (not awful), one flashing panel was dented which I had to all but twist their arm to replace. Never cleaned the windows so there's lots of little caulk smudges on the glass and vinyl I'll have to try and remove one of these days. 3 of 4 screens were defective. He fixed one there but ran out of screen so he took the other 2 back with him. Said it would take a couple days to get them back. Got spray foam (admittedly not much more than a couple thin long drips that weren't super apparent) on the biggest flashing panel. I complained and he said he'd clean it off when they brought back the screens (caulk wasn't set so you couldn't wipe with any pressure) and said if it doesn't come off he'd replace the flashing. Cool. 3 weeks later the screens are back and he just used touch up paint on the foam so now there's semi gloss paint on a flat piece of flashing. Don't even know if it's worth complaining further about but it sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

Some may see the result and say I'm being knit picky but to put it in perspective I spent more than 3 times what I paid for my car for 4 windows. This is one of the first times I figured I'll get what I pay for and pulled the trigger on windows 2-3x what friends and family said I should have spent. When they came to install I feel like they looked at some of the less cared-for or dated houses surrounding me on the block and figured hey, this is good enough.

I feel like a horses ass for not contacting the installers who post here directly. In any case I want to thank you guys for your help.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

FJ,

Feel free to post up a few pics. We can take a look and let you know what is worth fixing and what is normal.

Eric

FusilliJerry

#10 Post by FusilliJerry »

I appreciate that.

I only noticed this one today:
Last edited by FusilliJerry on Thu May 28, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FusilliJerry

#11 Post by FusilliJerry »

Also noticed they never re-caulked underneath the sill they repositioned.

Delaware Mike

#12 Post by Delaware Mike »

Bronze caulking can be a real pain to tool but what they ran as a bead is unacceptable by any means. I see a whole different breed of window installers when it comes to city work. Looks like the capping was run short and attempted to fill gaps with bronze Quad with a large diameter cut nozzle without tooling. I guess no WD-40 or paint thinner on the truck.

No one caulks but me on my projects as I can tell what mechanic knows about caulking by the way he cuts the nozzle on a tube of sealant.

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

The capping doesn't look like it is lapped correctly in the 3rd picture down and is bent outwards.Hard to say if the sill was damaged before.
The caulking does look bad, I typically avoid tooling on the exterior if possible.
Mike; No one has yet cut a tube correctly therefore no one caulks but you? I'd love to see the way you cut your tubes.

Delaware Mike

#14 Post by Delaware Mike »

Todd, I simply my sealant tubes in reverse. Most guys cut their angle leave the blade to leave the nozzle at the longest point which always leaves a funny mangled burr on the end. This is the part of the nozzle that rides against the exterior face of the bead. Never made sense to me. I simply place my tube and nozzle on something stationary like the plastic top of my Werner 4' or 6" twin ladders and cut downward so that the last part of the utility knife blade is cutting the inner angle of the nozzle. If a burr or not so nice of a cut is there it doesn't matter. I always make sure to have ample amounts of utility knifes and blades around too.

I too don't really like to play too much with exterior sealants if I don't have to. Sealants like silicones and some hybrids with light body are easily tooled and wiped right off of one's hands. Quad, Geocel, and NPC Solarseal are a nightmare to get off your hands without designated wipes or solvents.

toddinmn

#15 Post by toddinmn »

Makes sense to me, I like cutting it with a hand miter shear.