Schuco Sliding Door: Removable?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ewl

Schuco Sliding Door: Removable?

#1 Post by ewl »

Hi:

Would any of the Schuco experts be able to tell me whether it is possible to remove the doors from a Schuco sliding patio door? Both the sliding pane and the fixed pane? We had one installed about 10 years ago in our basement and the door is unusually small at 5 feet. We've got a sofa in the basement that won't fit through the 24" opening and can't find any information on whether the doors can be removed or not, and if so, how to do it.

Many thanks in advance!

(It's been a long time since I've been on this forum and while we are quite happy with all the Schuco windows in our house, I'm disappointed to learn that the company packed up and left...)

Windows on Washington

Re: Schuco Sliding Door: Removable?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am sure Dave will be along very shortly but the answer must be yes. All the panels (at minimum the active panel) must be removable.

Post up a picture and I can get you started although I am not intimately familiar with that specific door.

ewl

#3 Post by ewl »

Thanks for the reply. Here's a photo of the door. I'm sure the sliding panel must come out, but for some reason I have it In my head that when they installed it they made some point about how the fixed door couldn't be lifted out-- or something. Maybe I'm thinkin of one of the other Schuco sliding windows we have, though.
Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpg
(26.07 KiB) Downloaded 293 times

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

That looks like the 2nd generation slider that Schuco manufactured which was only for a brief time from like 2006 to 2008. I only installed one of them and can't remember how it was shipped to me in regards to if I had to assembly the master frame and drop the panels in, or it came fully assembled?

If the inactive panel has any type of jamb panels that seem to have a seam as they meet the face of the frame you can see it a putty knife gently worked into that seam will start to lift this "pocket cover" off of the jamb. We typically see several stainless phillips screw heads locking the inactive panel into the frame to this area.

The active panel may need the bottom rollers adjusted down to allow proper positioning in reference to the head framing to allow it to be lifted upwards which allows the wheels to move off of the mono roller track. Sometimes there are to head cavity stops of pocket covers that may need to be removed?

Carol Vanderfield over at Schuco USA should be able to answer your questions too.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Mike gave you some great information.

Here is a little video that shows where the adjustment location is another a door (similar).

You may find that just removing the active panel will give you enough clearance to move whatever you need to in or out.