Schuco 4000 or Sofia Line??

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
xgastudios

Schuco 4000 or Sofia Line??

#1 Post by xgastudios »

Hi guys,

I'm looking to replace my windows (and siding), and have had a few companies come out. I'm in the west burbs of Chicago and currently have failing, single pane, 25 year old wooden Semcos.

The two windows that I'm looking at are the Schuco 4000 series - triple pane w/ krypton, and the Sofia line from Feldco. The Sofia line is a double pane with a mixture of argon and krypton. My quotes are this:

19 double hung and 4 awning windows.

The Schucos are gonna run me 14420 installed
The Sofia line windows are at 9900 installed

So, are the Schucos THAT good to justify such a price difference?

Is there really that big of a difference between double and triple pane windows?

Thanks for your help!

Matt

steelersfan

#2 Post by steelersfan »

What spacer does that other one have? The TPS, I've been told, rocks.

I love the look of the Schuco too. Nice low gloss vinyl and beautiful lines.

Might not be worth the extra amount for you, however. Schuco just felt more quality to me that anything that I had seen.

Have 31 on order and can't wait to get them in!

jdegeorge

Schuco

#3 Post by jdegeorge »

I just got an estimate last night for 14 double-hung and 4 casement Schuco's for $16,000 (New Jersey as opposed to your area). I'm happy wih the quote.

I've spent a lot of time on this web site today looking at post after post, and everyone seems to love the Schuco window. Most saying that it's the last window you'll ever have to buy...of course it has to be properly installed!

I never heard of the Sofia line, but then I never heard of Schuco until recently either!

Cost isn't the only consideration for buying a good window.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

XGAStudios,
I am curious how you came to get estimates from 2 such different quality windows.
The Felco's are advertised heavily in Chicagoland, but so far Schuco has not been advertised that heavily here. Did you see the Schuco's at a home show? How did you hear about them and find a dealer?....just curious for market research.

xgastudios

#5 Post by xgastudios »

Hey all,

thanks to all who replied already. Window4U, my parents had some work done by a local company (not sure if its ok to mention names here) and they suggested that I get in touch. When I did they brought the Schuco 4000 series and said that this is the best window around. So I'd have to say word of mouth is how I came across Schuco.

I guess that this is a fair price for the Schucos, but I'm still wondering if it is overkill. At almost 200 bucks more per window is this really the window that I need to have.

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about the Feldco Sofia series? I was told that they are made here in the Chicagoland area. They seem pretty well built too.

Thanks again.

Matt

HoffmanTL

#6 Post by HoffmanTL »

xgastudios,

I've taken a look at the Feldco Sofia's at a friend's house and they are in no way on par with the Shuco's. They're okay, but they're no Shucos. Feldco advertises heavily in the Chicago because I believe they are based out of the area (Schiller Park?).

I've heard some second hand stories about some hidden charges and bait and switch techniques with Feldco, but I have never dealt with them personally, so I can't say for sure.

I'm got a few Shuco's on order (from Window4u!) and I can't wait for them to show up. It's been windy here for the last couple of days and I'm tired of the drafty and whistling old windows I have :D

Window4U (IL)

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Thanks for coming and visiting the forum "HoffmanTL". You were my first sale from the home shows this year....and first in line for installation. Should be anyday!

HoffmanTL

#8 Post by HoffmanTL »

I've gotten so much great info from this board, so I thought I would throw my 2 cents in on something I have a bit of knowledge on (Feldco windows). The advertised prices for an installed DH from those guys just seemed a little too good to be true.

BTW, I didn't actually attend a home show, but I think my order was right after one of the shows in Schaumburg or Palatine. My wife and I (along with out overactive Westies) are looking foward to having draft-free windows!

Window4U (IL)

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Oh yeah. You are so close to the home show that I was in that I forgot for a minute how I met you. Sorry Tom, ....I'll blame it on a lack of sleep. :oops:

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#10 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

xgasstudios-this one tme were gonna permit this, did you call window4u for an estimate. He's in the chicago area and sells Schuco (Strong Windows) to the moderators this one time won't hurt.

xgastudios

#11 Post by xgastudios »

Nope, I did not. I have decided on Windows1 Siding1 to do my windows and siding....

I had no idea that it was a problem to ask about this stuff. I thought that it was ok to ask for opinoins.....

Matt

Window4U (IL)

#12 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Whoa Another Window Guy.
I really appreciate your thinking of me, but I don't want to bid his job or any such thing.
We pros are not here to troll for jobs from posters. If we did, it would put us in a very aukward position and would put into question the honesty of our advice.
Thanks anyway for the thought.

HoffmanTL

#13 Post by HoffmanTL »

xgastudios,

So which windows did you decide to go with? Did you go with the Shuco's through Window1Siding1?

xgastudios

#14 Post by xgastudios »

I'm going to finalize things with windows1 siding1 later this week. I'm doing windows, siding, and doors through them. I'll update here as things progress. Thanks to everyone for their input! I feel the I am an educated consumer and feel that I am getting a good product at a fair price.
Matthew