Looking at Mid-Grade Vinyl Insert Windows....Plygem?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
AllGoNoShow

Looking at Mid-Grade Vinyl Insert Windows....Plygem?

#1 Post by AllGoNoShow »

First post! I live in western NY in a 30 year old home with terrible single pane windows (glazing is cracking off everywhere) with triple trac storms. When it gets in the single digits I can't even see out the windows they get so covered in condensation.

I'm going to be replacing the windows myself and having a contractor do the metal trim work outside. I've done a few different cheaper houses with HD American Crapsmen replacements and, for what they were and the $80k houses they went on, I was happy with them. I've moved up to a little nicer house (still only worth a $160k) and would like a better quality replacement window but budget is a priority. I am only going to be in the house another 8 years max.

Most of the windows are double hungs which are 36 inches wide by 53 tall. Realistically I want to stay at or under $400 for the window itself. What companies should I be looking at? I got a quick quote at the HD for Anderson 400s but they were in the $520 range with the light dividers on the upper sash. My contractor neighbor recommended Ply Gem windows and I have been looking at the Pro versions but have not yet had the opportunity to stop by the building supply place and get a quote to see if they are in the range I am looking at.

I am using the search function but alot of the discussion seems to center around the manufactures who offer the BEST (read $$$) options, not necessarily the mid-level ones. Am I on the right track with Ply Gem and/or who else should I be looking at with my budget in mind?

Windows on Washington

Re: Looking at Mid-Grade Vinyl Insert Windows....Plygem?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What part of Western NY?

Plygem isn't bad but at that number, I think there are better options.

Have you checked with any of the building supply houses around you?

How many windows are you going to need here?

AllGoNoShow

#3 Post by AllGoNoShow »

Rochester, NY

Im going to stop by B&L wholesale which is a big supply house but i havent gotten there yet. They sell Plygem and a bunch of others that dont seem to get great reviews on this board like Silverline.

16 windows total.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Post up what other brands they sell and we will give you some directed feedback.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Those products are pretty much "All show no go" as far as performance is concerned. Compare u-factor (apples to apples glass) and air infiltration ratings.

AllGoNoShow

#6 Post by AllGoNoShow »

B&L supply has : plygem, certainteed, vinyl window designs llc, silverline, ecoshield, kolbe, viwinco

ABC supply has: amcraft, atrium, hurd, simonton, trimline, vinylmax

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

The better offerings from Plygem and Simonton are probably the best of those lists.

I'd check one other option though, and that would be to contact manufacturers of some of the top performing lines that you see regularly recommended. Ask them for dealer recommendations in your area, particularly if they have one that will sell DIY. Most dealers don't, but there are some that do. Your budget is not completely unrealistic to get a premium vinyl window cash and carry.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

The ABC's in my area carry Soft-Lite , they're typically not on the displays and the desk people don't know they carry them. The Soft-Lite Pro would be there top offering in Soft-Lite and is a pretty good window at what it does.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Good point by Todd. There are a few other good windows available at supply houses as well. The Softlite pro is is their third tier product, but the best that you'll find from them at a supply house. Personally I've soured on the way that they do business.
You may also find the base Sunrise model and the Polaris Ultraweld. I'd prefer either one of those.

AllGoNoShow

#10 Post by AllGoNoShow »

Got a couple quotes and the Plygem Premiums seem to be pretty comparable price wise to the Simonton 5500s. Looking at about $280-290 for a 36x54 (with grills in upper sash) and $330-350 for 36x65 (these are 60/40 sash models which I guess adds a chunk). Cost is for window only. Both windows have the argon/lowe with identical u-factor (.3) and similar SHGC (.24-.27). How are those prices?

Biggest problem I have is the color options. I have tan/beige trim with tan/biege windows currently and want them to stay this way. Simonton has an extruded tan that matches pretty close but the whole window is this color (even the interior which now is currently white with white trim on all of my windows). Plygem does do co-extruded colors with a beige on the outside and white on the inside which makes me lean there way.

Any suggestions on the Plygem Premiums vs. Simonton 5500s. The more lumber yards/home improvement centers I look at the more it looks like these are my two best options.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Plygem now owns both lines. Six of one, half a dozen of the other IMO. Despite the fact as I mentioned earlier that they are the best of the list that you provided, neither are anything more than average plus or minus. I still think that you may be able to find something like a Softlite Pro or Polaris Ultraweld via distribution if you search hard enough. Both would be an upgrade IMO.
On price, sounds about right.

AllGoNoShow

#12 Post by AllGoNoShow »

Has anyone ever heard of Encore windows from Seaway? Just found out a neighbor sells them. Their performance numbers seem great (they advertise air infiltration of .01 and even their lowest line has .26 u factor)

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#13 Post by masterext »

That window( Seaway) seems very solid. I saw it a few years back and thought it looked good. You have my ok. I saw their high end line which i think you are referring to.

AllGoNoShow

#14 Post by AllGoNoShow »

Of the windows commonly recommended on here (okna, sunrise, prolite), do any offer a coextruded version that allows a beige exterior with white interior? Seems that is my big limiting factor as I don't wamy a painted surface on one side

randy

#15 Post by randy »

Sunrise offers a co-extrusion white interior with beige exterior, at least in their Vanguard and Restorations lines.