Looking at Mid-Grade Vinyl Insert Windows....Plygem?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HomeSealed

Re: Looking at Mid-Grade Vinyl Insert Windows....Plygem?

#16 Post by HomeSealed »

+1.
... The only thing I'd add, is that I wouldn't be too concerned about a painted exterior. Wood windows, metal windows, the trim around the windows, etc all have painted exterior surfaces. Vinyl color coatings are really no different, have come a long way, and are very durable. I would not hesitate to use it on my own home, and in fact have done so for family and friends.

AllGoNoShow

#17 Post by AllGoNoShow »

Well the one distributor in my area(upstate ny) for sunrise will not sell to me without an install.

I got a quote for Seaway Encore Windows (they come coextruded)and they are identical in price to the Plygem premiums if I go with the intercept spacer. If I upgrade to the super spacer it is an additional $15-30 depending on the size of the window. Is that additional price worth it to get the super spacer?

My neighbor says he has been selling the Seaways for 20+ years with hardly any problems. The u factor/shgc is .26/.26 with the Seaways (.25 with super spacer) and .29/.27 with the Plygems. The only thing that is making me apprehensive about the Seaways is the lack of info on the internet on them.

HomeSealed

#18 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd pick the Seaway's with the super spacer.... I'd actually probably take the Sunrise installed by an authorized dealer, but after that I'd choose the Seaway over Plygem

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#19 Post by masterext »

I would choose Seaway over plygem by a mile. seaway is a pretty solid window.

AllGoNoShow

#20 Post by AllGoNoShow »

HomeSealed wrote:+1.
... The only thing I'd add, is that I wouldn't be too concerned about a painted exterior. Wood windows, metal windows, the trim around the windows, etc all have painted exterior surfaces. Vinyl color coatings are really no different, have come a long way, and are very durable. I would not hesitate to use it on my own home, and in fact have done so for family and friends.
That is good to know because although it was described to me as an extruded color after contacting Seaway ( who actually responded to me within an hour), they said it is a "'Stylux Heat Resistant" linear coating that is applied to the vinyl before fabrication (whatever that means). It is warrantied for 10 years against fading.

Still working on the Cpd #s to take a look.