ViWinTech windows vs. Simonton Profinish or 5500?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
scout14

ViWinTech windows vs. Simonton Profinish or 5500?

#1 Post by scout14 »

I am a homeowner going through a major remodel. I've been planning on the Simonton. We are re-doing all siding and changing headers for many windows and doors in our remodel ( I have a contactor installing). He prefers new construction, though I've heard the Profinish isn't as good as the 5500 with the nailing fin. A contractor working on a garage project for me said he has been using ViWinTech for some apartments new construction and can't believe the quality for the value, he is able to order them direct for me. I have never heard of them, any feedback? He said if he got me the top of the line ( quoted it out) it'd be much better than the Profinish which were low to midgrade and the prices were comparable. I also had an Okna quote(500dx) which was comparable but they don't deliver to my area and as a homeowner I don't know how to arrange that. Can anyone share their experiences?

Windows on Washington

Re: ViWinTech windows vs. Simonton Profinish or 5500?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Scout,

Of that line up of the 3, I would find a way to get the Oknas. Where is the project?

The Okna 505 is the new construction variant of the Okna 500 and comes with an integral flange and option jamb extensions.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Most local " run of the mill" contractors have'nt a clue when it comes to the quality of various building materials ( windows). Why is that? It certainly isnt anything nefarious on their part, its more on the side of ignorance. Most local contractors use whatever their building supplier carries . A major reason is convenience, they buy everything from one location. The other, with regards to windows, is the fact that they usually dont have the volume to procure the higher quality brands that require them to be an actual dealer.
Most higher end companies frown upon these smaller " jack of all trades" outfits that have a higher probability of poor customer service and less than desired installation methods. This could result in a warranty nightmare that most higher end manufacturers would prefer not to deal with by rolling the dice with " Joe the family friend" who is a fireman and does construction on the side or Jose from Tijuana who is a landscaper but is also good with a hammer.

scout14

#4 Post by scout14 »

Thanks. I'm near Indianapolis. As a homeowner working with a very small contactor, I have found it difficult to get windows besides from the big box stores.The Simonton is from a bldg supply warehouse, ViWinTech direct through my garage contractor, and Okna through a window store in Indy.

The Okna is the 5500 I see as I asked for a link.
the ViWinTech is the Ultra 6000.

The project is replacing/changing all windows and patio doors in my home ( and re-siding, re-doing all trim) which is one contractor, and adding a second story guesthouse over the detached garage ( second contractor).

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

How far from you is the Indy Okna dealer? If within a few hours you might consider a truck rental and pick-up, or ask if they are willing to deliver for a fee... It might add a few hundred to the order, but well worth it IMO. If you were comparing 3 top-tier options I'd recommend otherwise, but in this case I'd say it would be worth the hassle.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

scout14 wrote:Thanks. I'm near Indianapolis. As a homeowner working with a very small contactor, I have found it difficult to get windows besides from the big box stores.The Simonton is from a bldg supply warehouse, ViWinTech direct through my garage contractor, and Okna through a window store in Indy.

The Okna is the 5500 I see as I asked for a link.
the ViWinTech is the Ultra 6000.
Yep...got the new construction confused with the single hung number. :idea:

Tough sorting through all the stuff that is out there. If you can get the Okna, it is the better window of that line up but I appreciate the difficulty coordinating all the forces at work.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Since you are in Indiana, try and locate a HomeGuard dealer and request to see their " Innovation" Window.

scout14

#8 Post by scout14 »

Thanks to you all. I spoke to my contractor, and he said not to let the delivery get in the way, he will coordinate it. I am going for the Oknas!

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thanks for the update.

If you can swing it, triple pane is a great investment.

Keep us posted with some pictures of the build.