Double vs Triple in Ohio

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tmal14

Double vs Triple in Ohio

#1 Post by tmal14 »

Settling in on my window purchase and going over the details, and I’m trying to decide on Double vs Triple pane glass.

I live in Cleveland, and my house faces directly north-south. The back of my house faces south is where most of my larger windows are at. I’m trying to decide if the triple pane upgrade of $67, or $49 (depending on window type) is worth it. From the NFRC chart it will lower the U value approx. 0.4 (.29 to .25) depending on the window.

Is the upgrade charge worth it in real world usage or is the small difference in U value negligible and not worth the extra cost? Based on my prior posts it was recommended to put triple in the north facing windows, and double in the south facing windows to capture the solar heat in the winter time.

The two windows are the Okna 800 (deluxe 2 or 3), or the Energy Wall-EnergyWeld (elite 2 double or Elite 2 triple)

Any other ideas to consider with the glass or other options?

toddinmn

Re: Double vs Triple in Ohio

#2 Post by toddinmn »

It's a bit of grey area if it is worth it, you'd have to consider comfort and payback period which are both hard to gauge.
Personal opinion says yes.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is a super cheap upgrade price for triple glass.

I am with Todd in that I think is is probably a worthwhile upgrade.

tmal14

#4 Post by tmal14 »

Windows on Washington wrote:That is a super cheap upgrade price for triple glass.

I am with Todd in that I think is is probably a worthwhile upgrade.
Should I stick to leaving the south side windows that are sunny, as double pane to capture the solar heat? Or since the price is good just add triple to all windows to capture the energy savings?

I plan to be in the house for quite some time.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

This area is even grayer, lots of variables involved. I'd go triple just because of that. When in doubt I go triple.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

If the home is not set up for passive solar, the impact of putting double pane vs. triple on the South facing windows will be negligible and may be less efficient in total given the lessened thermal resistance of the windows.

Unless you home is set up for it, I would go triple and stay consistent and especially at that number.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Keeping it simplistic without getting too scientific, triple pane is always the way to go for improved energy efficiency especially with the prices you were quoted for the upgrade which is VERY cheap. The upgrade is triple pane Argon and not krypton i would assume?
Krypton is so expensive you would paying upwards of $100 extra per window.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Great advice above.

1) I'd agree to keep it simple and go with the triple. It will be more efficient even if the bang for the buck of that upgrade is slightly mitigated on the south facing units. If this were a double pane low shgc vs double pane high shgc that would be another story, but in this case the added thermal efficiency of the triple pane will make up for the small loss in passive solar gain

2) I'd check your numbers again with regard to U factor. Both of those windows will be far better than a .25 will triple pane/argon. The Okna will be .19-.20, and the Polaris should only be a point or two higher... That is with foam filled frames/sashes which I highly recommend. I believe it is standard on the Energy Wall and a low cost upgrade on the Okna

tmal14

#9 Post by tmal14 »

I'm pretty much set on going with Triple Pane Okna 800's in my house.

One last question I have a mixture of sliders, casemets, and double hungs (47x53).

Do I have to worry about the extra weight from the triple pane affecting the operation of the windows? I'm concerned about the balance system, cranks, sliding.

I'm fairly certain these windows are probably overly engineered to handle the weight increase. I figured it doesn't hurt to ask for the peace of mind.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not at all.

They won't make them in a given size if they are too big. That 800 is super sturdy so you are in good hands.

Good choice and keep us posted how it goes.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

tmal14 wrote:I'm pretty much set on going with Triple Pane Okna 800's in my house.

One last question I have a mixture of sliders, casemets, and double hungs (47x53).

Do I have to worry about the extra weight from the triple pane affecting the operation of the windows? I'm concerned about the balance system, cranks, sliding.

I'm fairly certain these windows are probably overly engineered to handle the weight increase. I figured it doesn't hurt to ask for the peace of mind.
Your assumption is correct. No worries whatsoever.