Okna 800 and 500 Exteriors match?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tmal14

Okna 800 and 500 Exteriors match?

#1 Post by tmal14 »

I’m going to be finalizing my window purchase this week if all goes well. I’ve decided on the Okna 800 for most of my house. I will be installing two picture windows with white in and white out. Is there any difference between the Okna 800 and Okna 500 exterior look/frame? I would like to not overspend especially if both windows are identical. Unless there is something I’m missing, it is a picture window so I cannot imagine too much of a performance difference.

My only concern is the exterior profile not matching or something else that would make them stand out/noticeably different from the rest of the 800’s.

The pictures online seem to be identical, but you never know what they look like in the real world.

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna 800 and 500 Exteriors match?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The exterior profile is only slightly different.

If the windows are next to each other, you will notice. If not, you probably won't.

The 800 extrusion is a bit stronger than the 500 by comparison.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The 800 is a little bit beefier and has an additional "notch" in the detail on the screen frame profile. Very close and not likely to be noticed by anyone, but they are not identical.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Just so you know, If you were mixing 800 double hungs with 500 picture windows no one would be able to tell they were different series. They will look like they belong together.

vbt101

#5 Post by vbt101 »

Along the lines of this thread, I was initially looking at the 400/500 as well (actually at WoW). I thought it would be nice to upgrade the main common area of our home to have nickel hardware and SDLs, which requires the 800 series. It's a bit pricey to do it throughout the whole home as we have about 60 windows.

As far as exterior appearance, would it be better (more similar) to mix the 800's with 400's or the 800's with 500's? Or, would either be ill-advised?

Also, we are building in a coastal community, where all of the homes have windows that are styled with the flat casing (they use silverline 2200 with the flat casing exterior style). On top of that, they use flat 5/4 trim board around the windows. Not having a well-developed eye for windows, should I be concerned going with an Okna over a flatter style window? Should this point me towards one of the Okna models over the others?

EDIT: We are looking at the new construction versions of these windows, which I am assuming look the same except for the fin.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Mixing 800s and 500s is preferable to 800/500 mixed with 400s.

Have some new stuff coming in today as well.

vbt101

#7 Post by vbt101 »

Thanks for your feedback, Eric. Excited to hear about the new stuff you are getting as well! Any teasers?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Just the 600 series and the brickmold option. Sounds like with the flat casing, the 800 with the applied flange is still the way to go.

vbt101

#9 Post by vbt101 »

Cool. To clarify, when you say "applied flange", is that the nailing fin, or something else?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Nailing flange. Just means that it is field applied is all vs. extruded (integral).

vbt101

#11 Post by vbt101 »

I didn't realize the 800 had a field-applied fin. Assuming proper flashing, does having a field applied fin make the 800 significantly more susceptible to installer error than the 500 with the extruded fin?

Forgive my lack of understanding on how everything physically fits together, but my concern is the field applied fin would create 2 infiltration seams (one where the fin meets the house, and the other where it meets the window). I would guess that the first of those seams would be sealed with tape. What about the other seam? How does installer attach the fin to the window and seal it?

It might be that I'm working under a flawed assumption that the nailing flange would provide a more "foolproof" way of creating a weather-tight window installation, when in reality it might be purely for support.

Delaware Mike

#12 Post by Delaware Mike »

I actually prefer the 800 with the mechanically field applied nailing flanged to the "open accessory groove" weld flash everywhere, undersized and not thought out well built in j-channel. It would take a mechanic with possible two or more brain cells left to figure out how to field apply it correctly. Two or more brain cells may eliminate 98% of the window installers that I've run into in my area but hopefully there are some good guys in your neck of the woods.

Precision measuring and cutting the 14' flange lineals, clean out weld flash from all areas that would prohibit proper fastening and laying into the accessory groove without any obstructions with use of of multi-master type of tool, set flange into groove with high-grade silicone or flange sealant. That's all there is to it.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

No major issues at all.

As Mike says, you just have to be careful and detailed when you put them together.

vbt101

#14 Post by vbt101 »

That is interesting feedback on the positives of the field-applied flange; who would have thought the applied flange would have been any different than the extruded version in terms of shape/form/function.

Is the field-applied nailing flange and the applied j-channel all part of the same flange lineal? Or are they 2 separate components that would need to be applied individually?

I want to make sure I'm understanding Mike correctly: we're basically doing what I see here in the following image (borrowed from a Simonton install guide). The only difference is that Okna has a track around the perimeter called an accessory groove, rather than just being flat. The groove might require some TLC with the multi-tool to let the flange sit in there flush. Is my understanding correct?

Delaware Mike

#15 Post by Delaware Mike »

The field applied nailing flange for the 800 is much different that the what the 550 design is like. I believe that the 550's lineals are extruded with the nailing flanged and j-channel designed as a whole from best memory. My problem with that is the fact that the built in j-channel has a narrow face and throat and still visually exposed accessory groove which is only a cosmetic issue that I don't prefer to see.

The 800 with field applied fins do take more time to install but provide much more options in regards to j-channel, decorative vinyl window casings, and any type of trim board/exterior casings. One could always still do this with the 550, however it kind of defeats the purpose of the built in j-channel which was designed solely to accommodate a standard vinyl siding panel.

The accessory groove on the 800 only needs the corners cleaned up from the master frame welding process. We just clean the weld flash out the corners and jambs enough so that the snap in flanges fit securely without fighting the weld flash. One could cope the flanges but that seems like the worse options in regards to fit and finish. To do a real nice job I'd guess that it adds maybe like 10-15 minutes to each window work the multimaster tool and cut and install the fins.