Good Installer in phoenix Area? Getting Sticker Shock

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bradcrosley

Good Installer in phoenix Area? Getting Sticker Shock

#1 Post by bradcrosley »

I currently live in a home where basically all the windows are double paned, except for the master bedroom.

I knew it wasn't going to be a cheap project, but I'm just blown away at the quote I got. Around $12,000 from Lowes.

This just isn't in the cards, even if that was a fair quote. I'd just rather deal with my single paned windows and use that to upgrade other parts of the house. But what I wanted to know was, what sort of range am I looking at for a medium quality window with installation? The outside is stucco.

I will concede that I have a few larger, picture windows, but I had budgeted about $1,000 a piece, but instead it was more than double that.

Here are the following window dimensions. All but the one noted are fixed, picture windows.

47" x 76"
71" x 76"
35" x 76" (single hung)
47" x 94"
47" x 94"

Thanks for the help

Windows on Washington

Re: Good Installer in phoenix Area? Getting Sticker Shock

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

1. I would look elsewhere as compared to a big box store.
2. What window and install type were they quoting you?

bradcrosley

#3 Post by bradcrosley »

The windows were Pella, I don't have the specific model but I basically said I'm looking for something pretty basic.

This would have been an install that required redoing the outside stucco.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Stucco installs are a tricky bunch and can be expensive. Those windows sizes are on the large side as well.

That being said, I would advise you to get some alternate quotes. Without knowing more about the install and window, I will refrain from a firm commentary, but the Pella window does not run in the front of the pack in my estimation of what is out there in just about any category.

bradcrosley

#5 Post by bradcrosley »

Clearly this site is dead, just shut it down instead of making people waste the time to register.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

bradcrosley,

How exactly can we be of more assistance?

Additional details (previously requested) that would assist in the evaluation of your project were:
- Window model quoted
- Stucco remodel/rework that they were specifying

Your original frustrated admission of just leaving the windows as single pane may not be that bad and idea. Phoenix is cooling degree dominated climate: http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/uni ... a/phoenix/

If your concerns are solar heat gain, you can address a good portion of that with solar control films if the windows are in otherwise good shape.

If you are concerned about heat loss, films won't help much there. If your issues are gaps and drafts, you will need to look at new windows or a good storm window.

Feel free to post back additional and requested information and I will be glad to provide additional feedback.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Brad, sorry that you have not gotten a ton of feedback. I believe that your post title and location has discouraged contributors and consumers from responding, myself included. Unfortunately, the vast majority of traffic on the site has been and is currently on the east coast and midwest. Not coincidentally, these areas with much colder climates also have more robust markets for replacement windows, therefore more consumers researching and more professionals contributing.

I don't believe any of us have a recommendation for a PHX installer unfortunately, however I believe that WoW has offered some solid advice above regarding your purchase.

If your quote is for Pella wood (Proline or better), given the other details (stucco, etc), I'd have to agree with WoW again that you are not likely to find a much lower price. The best advice would be to get a couple of competitive quotes, although again, Lowes is not normally on the HIGH end of either price or quality.

Hopefully that helps. I'd love to be able to direct you to a source that is centered more on offerings in your region, unfortunately I don't know that any exist for the reasons given above.