Replacement vinyl sliding patio door

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Barb D

Replacement vinyl sliding patio door

#1 Post by Barb D »

Although this is window forum, I'm hoping the same applies to doors. Our 40 yr. old wooden sliding door didn't survive the harsh winter. The inner pane shattered, and isn't worth repairing. I got two estimates, each company has high ratings with Angie's List, Home Advisor and one with BBB. The doors seem comparable, although I haven't seen them in person yet. Both have lifetime warranties. Here's my dilemma:
First door: ReliaBilt, Low E, key lock. $14.50;
Second door: Slocum, Low E, three locks(No key) $2400 ( with promo discount- $2200)
You know I want to go with door 1, but that 'too good to be true' feeling keeps nagging. Still, I can't explain away the consistent 5 star rating this company gets. He is a bare bones guy who is semi retired, has no website, or showroom, any longer. I think he doesn't have a large staff, either. I wanted to compare the door in person, but only the more expensive one has a showroom.
I think overhead makes the difference.
Does anyone know if there is a notable difference in the quality of these two door brands?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Replacement vinyl sliding patio door

#2 Post by masterext »

Reliabilt is a piece of garbage. Its flimsy and engineered horribly. I would never install a Reliabilt for any of my customers. Contractor one may be a nice guy but he epitomizes the typical " local guy" thats knows nothing about quality and installs anything the building supplier or Lowes carries. Having a show room isnt why the Slocomb is more expensive, its a better investment because its a better door.
Im guessing you live in P.A., Slocomb are big out there.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

The Reliabilt stuff that I've seen locally to my area comes out of Lowes. I was called out to perform some exterior finish work and tie in the vinyl siding to a 6' Reliabilt slider that the homeowner had obtained from his local Lowes. It was the least expensive door that he found anywhere period. It had a basic low-e and argon package and no options regarding grids of upgraded locks as it was an in stock item off the shelf.

The tolerances on this door were pretty loose as by design to allow for out of square installation while still being able to lock and seal somewhat. He had purchased this thing for under $400 somehow. I was amazed at how easily it operated which seems like a nice feature but comes at the expense of very little weatherstripping contact and unimpressive air leakage numbers.

I would check out both doors in person with full size models. I'm not a big Slocumb fan, but it's hands down a better door. Pay special attention to the handleset regarding it's quality. The lower quality handlesets tend to break down overtime. The sill area is also important. How much junk can build up in there and how hard is it to clean?

bgbrock

#4 Post by bgbrock »

Not a window contractor myself, but do yourself a HUGE favor and take the advice of both masterext and Delaware Mike and stay away from any of the big box stores products.

There are so many better options that will provide you with a lasting piece of mind.

You may want to look at OKNA or Sunrise....just to name a couple of the better names out there.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

$14.50 is a great price even for the Reliabilt.
If your set on using the semi retired person, ask what his best other options are. If he says; this is my best option, Jeldwen, American Craftman/Silverline,Pella, I'll see what's on sale , it's time to move on. A door from a good manufacturer often only cost 20% more.
I would make sure the semi-retired person has insurance and proper license.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

All good advice above.
Ironically enough, the guy with no overhead and the "el cheapo" door is probably the one making a higher profit.

Do yourself a favor and get the better door. You will thank yourself in a few years... Remember, while those reviews are a valid avenue of researching a company, they are most often posted immediately after install, not years down the road when poor quality product or installation will manifest itself.