Ultraweld, thermalweld or Vinylmax

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mforce

Ultraweld, thermalweld or Vinylmax

#1 Post by mforce »

We have decided to replace our aluminum windows that was put in back in 1978. I have been shopping with various companies even checked out the big orange box.
I have come up with the following list of companies that would install 24 windows plus one sliding patio door.

We have priced out ultraweld with foam filled sash and frame triple pane, low e, and all the goodies including prairie grids with triple pane patio slider for a installed price of $12,000.00

Thermalweld same options as above for $11,000.00

ultraweld double pane with patio slider; $10,200.00

Thermalweld double pane with patio slider; $9,350.00

Vinylmax Hallmark Deluxe series triple pane, Low e 5 coating, prairie grids, sliding patio door double pane, lifetime window warranty, made here locally in Cincinnati, Ohio. $15,000.00

We like the Vinylmax since they have the night time lock and are a nice looking window but at $3,000 higher then Ultraweld, well that is giving us a holding point.
Any advise is appreciated since I have been lurking here for answers before I posted this. I have until Monday midnight to back out of the Vinylmax contract. I wrote a contract for those, but I am not sure now since I have went out searching for a better window I have found the Ultraweld!

Windows on Washington

Re: Ultraweld, thermalweld or Vinylmax

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is a rockstar deal on a darn good window.

As long as you are good with the installer, go for it.

mforce

#3 Post by mforce »

Which is the better deal between them? We plan on staying in the house for at least 5-10 years. We don't want to put to much window in that we don't recoup what we put in but still want a really nice window.
I appreciate this forum and your guidance.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

The UltraWeld.

Only possible negative with that window, considering your current windows, is the frame size.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. A little dated in appearance, but a very solid window and a very low price. Assuming that is a reputable and established company, the UW triple pane is the easy winner.

mforce

#6 Post by mforce »

Well I just got off the phone with the Vinylmax dealer and I let him know I wanted to go with Ultraweld windows and sliding patio door. He asked if he could split the difference with use on the Vinylmax window which would bring him in at $13,500 for triple pane insulated frames, R-5 window rating. He was stating that it is the best glass and window Vinylmax makes and he is only able to do this because we are the "feature" house which means he using advertising money to get out price lower?!?!
So by him coming in at $13,400 and closing the spread everyone feel that Ultraweld is still the better way to go?

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Yes.

1) The UW is the better window regardless of price

2) The price on it is actually lower, so bonus

3) The "show house" thing is usually used as a shady tactic.

mforce

#8 Post by mforce »

Update.... Vinylmax rep called me back and after a few words on having to lower his price to meet the price of Ultraweld he is now sitting at $12,000 for Vinylmax Hallmark triple pane, beige color, with sliding patio door, grids for front windows, R5 glass with lifetime warranty.

Good deal?????

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not as good a window as the UltraWeld.

mforce

#10 Post by mforce »

What makes the Thermalweld so much better then the Vinylmax? With the Vinylmax being the Hallmark window triple pane?

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

LOL, I feel like I'm in the twilight zone here...
The UltraWeld (not Thermalweld) is one of the better performers on the market. Double hung air infiltration of .01cfm is as good as it gets, and the thermals (u factor, etc) are pretty good as well.

It sounds like you are enamored with this other option. What exactly do you find appealing about it? The overall performance and reputation is not as good as Polaris, and this sales-guy seems a bit over the top for my taste as well, but to each their own I guess.... He is lowering the price on his optioned-out Toyota to meet the price you can get on a Lexus at another dealer.. Doesn't make much sense, right?

Is there something else about the Polaris guy that makes you feel uncomfortable? Installation, reputation, other? Those are certainly very important as well and might change my view, but on product alone this is an open and shut case IMO. UltraWeld all day.

mforce

#12 Post by mforce »

I actually like the Vinylmax R5 rating and the shadowing that occurs on the corners of the window. With that said, I canceled the contract last night. The salesman really tried to pressure me, then I told him I was going to cancel the contract. He hung up the phone irritated. He called me back about 3 minutes later and dropped the price to $12,000. I was still not comfortable with his company, so I called my Polaris rep and asked to see his window since all I had seen was a value series Polaris. It bothered me that I was getting taken for a ride and had to push HARD to get any discount other then a "promo" house!
We are going to go with Polaris but not sure on the triple pane though. We also might be needing a HVAC now so that changes a few things. I am looking at the Thermal Weld and the Ultra weld. The cost is not much between the two in a double pane. Thermal weld came in at $8800 with a sliding patio door and $9650 for the ultra weld and patio door both in white color. Not bad numbers at all. I think I read somewhere that the Ultraweld has a thinner sash to it, is that correct?
Its pretty bad when a installer tells you that he had installed Vinylmax triple pane and the window has some issues with weight. He said it's like they just installed triple pane in a doulbe pane sash and didn't change the ballasts to compensate for the added weight. He stated he has had a few service calls on the having issues.
Buying windows makes you learn a lot!!!

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Given everything that you have said regarding your experience, I think that you made the right choice in moving on from the high pressure guy.

FWIW, the Polaris gets an R5 with triple pane as well, that is not unique to that other product.

The Ultraweld is actually beefier (not thinner) than the Thermalweld, but I definitely recommend it over the TW.

I would stick with the the triple pane, that is a knock out deal.

mforce

#14 Post by mforce »

I agree. I am wondering if I need the R5 being that we are in Cincinnati, Ohio or will the regular double pane work just fine for us. I like the Ultra weld and Thermal Weld so we will see how they both look side by side for us.

This board is great and saved us a HUGE mistake!

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

The thermalweld looks just fine, but the air infiltration rating is significantly worse. The extrusion is made by a different manufacturer, and it is an entirely different window. I would not consider it.

In OH I would recommend the triple pane, especially at that price. It will be more energy efficient and sound much better for resale as well.