Ultraweld, thermalweld or Vinylmax

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mforce

Re: Ultraweld, thermalweld or Vinylmax

#16 Post by mforce »

I noticed that the glass is 1' thick in the ultraweld, 7/8" in the thermalweld. Would we notice the difference in the additional 1/8" of glass? Noise is an issue since we are on the main road with some "light-medium" traffic flow...depends on the time of day.

Windows on Washington

#17 Post by Windows on Washington »

Every bit will count but I think the air tightness and heft of the frame on the UltraWeld will be as responsible for that improvement as that air space delta.

HomeSealed

#18 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The thickness of the IGU accounts for approximately 0% of why I strongly recommend the UW over the TW. The TW is really a very average product.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#19 Post by masterext »

To make it simple, i have seen windows with 3/4 IG with a much better/ lower Ufactor than a window with a 1 inch space. The thickness of an IG is over rated and should not hold any weight when deciding on which window is better.

mforce

#20 Post by mforce »

That is good to know as I always thought a thicker glass is better! Again this board helps in the knowledge department! Also is the sash any different between the uw and the tw?
I mean the glass is heavier so I would assume the sash is built heavier to handle the added weight?

HomeSealed

#21 Post by HomeSealed »

Every aspect of the uw is different from the tw

toddinmn

#22 Post by toddinmn »

In general thicker glass and larger air spaces are better for stc ratings but they don't effect u value as much. Am air space between 7/16 and 1" yield about the same U-value. As far as I remember air numbers between the Thermalweld and Ultraweld are fairly close at this point.

HomeSealed

#23 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote:In general thicker glass and larger air spaces are better for stc ratings but they don't effect u value as much. Am air space between 7/16 and 1" yield about the same U-value. As far as I remember air numbers between the Thermalweld and Ultraweld are fairly close at this point.
The UW double hung is a .01 AI. The TW is .13 unless something recently changed. That is not insignificant IMO.

mforce

#24 Post by mforce »

I have viewed the uw now in person and another window made by American Glass and Window. The company that sells both of these windows installs with foam as opposed to fiberglass and they also guarantee the caulk work for lifetime. I asked about how the warranty works and he said they use $7 tube of calk made by Novaflex to eliminate call backs. His company was the best represented and both windows are very nice. He also had a composite window called Genesis and it was very nice, but it was also $4000 higher then UW triple pane. He has a window made by American Glass that uses the same frame as uw and made by the same company that make the uw frame for $9650, which is close to the same price as the guy that works from his house that sells the uw double pane.
The other installer/window company is a small company that uses caulk and fiberglass to install but his number with tempered glass in the areas needed is $11,450 for uw triple and $9950 for uw double both are foam filled frame and sash.
Both companies quoted same options so is short will the install make a huge difference? The guy that works from his house is a 1 man band which is not a bad thing unless you need warranty work in the future and he is not drumming anymore! LOL
Also the Guy selling the Genesis and American Glass window specd' out a sliding patio door by Allside where as the other guy specd' out a back door made by Polaris to be just like the UW window. Is one better then the other on the patio sliding door?

Windows on Washington

#25 Post by Windows on Washington »

Foam is much preferred over fiberglass.

All the quality exterior sealants are fine. No real difference maker there in my opinion.

mforce

#26 Post by mforce »

Windows on Washington wrote:Foam is much preferred over fiberglass.

All the quality exterior sealants are fine. No real difference maker there in my opinion.
Ok, Good. Windows are close as well between the two on air infiltration as well.

Windows on Washington

#27 Post by Windows on Washington »

Mulled units don't need foam between them.

mforce

#28 Post by mforce »

Windows on Washington wrote:Mulled units don't need foam between them.
We have no mulled windows. I kept those sliders instead.

Also here is the link to the windows that was quoted for $9450 with upgraded SB70 glass

americanwindowandglass.com/index.php/main/replacement-products/ultra-grand-teton-double-hung/

They are the almost same price as UW but comes with the Alside 6400 series sliding patio door

toddinmn

#29 Post by toddinmn »

I believe the Ultra-Weld is now at 0.13 and from what I have heard the Thermalweld will be changing to 0.06 or lower. So the one company offers Polaris but then says we have pretty much the same window made by a different company at a better price?

mforce

#30 Post by mforce »

toddinmn wrote:I believe the Ultra-Weld is now at 0.13 and from what I have heard the Thermalweld will be changing to 0.06 or lower. So the one company offers Polaris but then says we have pretty much the same window made by a different company at a better price?
The one company is Window World and its their house brand window that is make by American Glass. The American glass company has the same specs as the Ultraweld and the same frame manufacturer. The frame is made a little different though.

The small mom and pop company can install the Ultraweld double pane for $9450 with the UltraWeld sliding patio door.

So it is worth getting the WW to put in their window or the mom/pop to put in the UW. The Thermalweld is $8350 with the mom/pop! I think the triple is nice as well.

"I am going window crazy!"""""""""" lol