Okna 500 vs. Affinity Energex

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mmmbsc

Okna 500 vs. Affinity Energex

#1 Post by mmmbsc »

We are planning to start replacing original windows in an 85 year old home in the Northeast (Philadelphia). We are looking at the Okna 500 series and Affinity Energex. Heat efficiency is important, as well as traditional appearance. Is there a significant difference between these two windows in quality and construction? We have met with an Affinity dealer and thought the window looked well made, but have not yet found an Okna dealer.
Thank you!

Delaware Mike

Re: Okna 500 vs. Affinity Energex

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

I install both of these series on a daily basis. The overall performance edge would go to the ONKA 500 or 800 but only by a very slight margin. I like the extrusion and frame of the OKNA better due to it's larger sill dam, crown molding exterior frame profile. From an installers point of view, I think that the OKNA is easier to cap if exterior stops are going to be removed as the accessory groove is deeper and wider thus providing a more appropriate termination point for the capping returns.

Pricing will depend upon the size and overhead of the dealer. I think that if you are going with double-glazing that the OKNA will have a more regionally appropriate SHGC number too.

North Philly is OKNA's backyard so there should be a ton of dealers up that way. One of the Pro's on the board that goes by the handle "thewindownerd" definitely would be someone I'd contact if I were you.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Why not click on Mike's name. He is one of the best guys out there an in your backyard.

mmmbsc

#4 Post by mmmbsc »

Thank you for your replies.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Both very good choices, high end performers. Okna gets a slight nod there (performance), and also for a bit longer track record, but you could certainly do MUCH worse than that Energex.

If DM or WindowNerd serve your area they are top notch pros, definitely worth reaching out.

mmmbsc

#6 Post by mmmbsc »

In getting an estimate for Okna 800 windows with an almond exterior, I was told full screens would be needed because the full screen avoided the problem of the half screen damaging the exterior color over time. I think I would prefer the aesthetics of a half screen, as I am concerned how dark the full screen would look against the window once installed.
Is it a standard recommendation to install a full sceen in an Okna window if the exterior is not white?

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Yes, it is standard practice with painted exteriors with white or woodgrain interiors to have a full screen. OKNA's full screen is very nice and more heavy-duty than most vinyl window manufacturers. They'e more attractive in my opinion than 1/2 screens but will knock down a little light coming through the top sash until you get used to it. We've never heard any full screen homeowners voice their displeasure with them and request 1/2 screens.

You can take the screens out during the winter months if needed. Sounds like you're getting some nice windows. Good job.

mmmbsc

#8 Post by mmmbsc »

Thank you for your response, that is good to hear. I am so excited about the appearance of the Okna 800, with its colonial detail, and almond color that matches my tudor style house, that I didn't want to lose the beauty of that if a full screen obscured or darkened the view. From the curb does, the heavier duty screen seem fairly transparent?

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

OKNA's actual screen mesh is the stuff that most upper tear vinyl products are using which I think is Bettervue. Short of the whole Andersen/Pella micro mesh patented stuff it's the least obtrusive out there from what I've seen. OKNA's screen frame has a flange on it and compliments the actual window frame. I really like it's design as it keeps dirt out of the screen tracks that we see get dirty with 1/2 screens.

mmmbsc

#10 Post by mmmbsc »

Thank you again!

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with DM that you will like the full screens. In fact, from the road they give a richer appearance as you won't find half screens on too many high end wood windows, they are generally full screens. With the custom color, full screen, and exterior detail, you will get a very rich look on the exterior.

mmmbsc

#12 Post by mmmbsc »

Thanks for the additional insight. I will go ahead with the full screen then.
The salesman said that I should be aware that the full screens are not too
difficult to remove, but are somewhat difficult to re-insert. He advised against removing them for storage or cleaning. Does that sound accurate?