Revere Berkshire Elite with new modifications?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
thruthelookingglass

Revere Berkshire Elite with new modifications?

#1 Post by thruthelookingglass »

I've been reading the posts on here and other places, and I'm a little confused about the quality of the Revere Berkshire Elite. It tends to get a pretty bad rap in this forum, but after doing some research, it seems that - with the new upgrades they just put in in January - it sounds like a decent window - especially for its price point (almost half of other options). Is there something I am missing or not thinking of?

The package I was quoted is $431 a window and that includes a lifetime transferable warranty on installation as well as materials and capping with Alside Performance GB trim coil. The company has solid Angie's list ratings, Yelp ratings and an A+ BBB rating with no complaints. They are Lead-Safe EPA certified. The window won a Consumer's Digest Best Buy award, but I'm not sure if that is a paid rating so I don't know that I put any stock in it.

I also know three people who have used this company - however, they all put their windows in within the last 3 years, so not too long ago - but none have had any problems.

Still waiting to find out ai, vt and cr from the sales guy, but the specs I have so far are:
u factor .29
SGHC .30
Block and tackle balance system
"Broadview" narrow line frame and sash (which is very appealing to me since I don't feel we get enough light into our house anyway - once I get the VT we will know if that's meaningful or not, I guess?)
sloped sill
sash to sill interlock
compression bulb seal lock

You can see the new brochure here if it's helpful.
reverebuildingproducts.com/L ... .sflb.ashx

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Revere Berkshire Elite with new modifications?

#2 Post by masterext »

The only thing noteworthy about that window is the sill, its pretty good. Its everything else about the window( berkshire elite) that i dont like.
I notice the berkshire elite is NOT available in triple pane glass, that tells me the frame isnt strong. With the new energy star criteria that will be going into affect, the berkshire elite( mezzo) will NOT qualify with only a .29 Ufactor. The new criteria will be a .27 which would necessitate utilizing triple pane glass for that window which isnt offered.
Also, tilt in the sash and you will immediately notice how weak and flimsy the keeper is ( the keeper is what engages the lock). Its also rather cheap looking.
You will also notice cheap looking pads that are glued to the corners of the sash because without them, air would flow in at a rather high rate. A well designed window wont have to utilize those unsightly fuzzy pads.
the berkshire elite is the Alside Mezzo. Its just relabeled but its exactly the same.
Lastly, why so many estimates? In my experience, too many estimates just adds to the confusion. 3 or 4 estimates is the max in my opinion.
I will tell you this, the soft lite, okna, and kensington are all very solid names. The alsiide is not in my opinion. Focus on the other three and you will be quite happy with the quality and the simple fact that all 3 will easily meet or exceed the new energy star criteria whereas the berkshire elite( Mezzo) will not.

thruthelookingglass

#3 Post by thruthelookingglass »

Thanks for the input.

I've actually only had three people out. Some of them just offered several different options. I am trying to find something that I can afford that isn't crappy. It appears that I just can't. We have 13 windows and our budget is $6,000. The Berkshire Elite was the only one that fell into that budget. The Alside Fusion should have (I wouldn't even entertain it as an option because of hearing that it's even lower end than the Mezzo) but the sales guy for that one quoted me 10,800k (!) for it and 11,000 for the Soft-Lite Imperial LS.

Also, the people who offered the Soft-Lite (and Fusion) don't offer a warranty on the labor, so I didn't even bother to see if I could get more in line with Soft-Lite price because I immediately disregarded them because of that.

So - is it just not going to be possible to find something decent for 13 DHs for 6k?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to the comments above. That window is certainly an improvement upon its predecessor, the Excalibur/Berkshire, however it still leaves a bit to be desired in my opinion. It is exactly what you would expect: A somewhat improved version of one of the more cost-effective products out there. You still get what you pay for... In addition, there is a recent article in Plastics News where an AMI (Alside/Revere) rep actually discusses some majors flaws and the recent losses that they have taken.

Regarding price, you will be very hard pressed to find a good quality product from a reputable company at that price point. Once you get above the $500 per window threshold you at least have some hope, but even that is a pretty slim margin for a reasonably sized company.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Your budget is probably going to narrow your options to a set of windows that aren't in that premium class of products.

I totally get working of a budget but would encourage you to look critically at the products and decide if pushing up that number a bit wouldn't get you a much better window.

thruthelookingglass

#6 Post by thruthelookingglass »

Thanks for the responses. I had absolutely no idea windows were so expensive!

It sounds like we're just going to have to wait.

thruthelookingglass

#7 Post by thruthelookingglass »

How do the Sunrise by Sunrise windows usually compare price-wise to the Okna and Soft-Lite Imperial LS? I've heard some mention on here that the Sunrise are sometimes cheaper.

Also, I have seen to stay away from the Sunrise Essentials, and that the Vanguard and Restorations are good - but how is the Sunrise by Sunrise line?

Thanks!

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

The Sunrise base model is what the Vanguard and Restorations are built from. It's pretty good.
On pricing, the size, overhead, and business model of the dealer will be the largest driving factor with windows. It can vary wildly from dealer to dealer as such.