trim around vinyl windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sharieg

trim around vinyl windows

#1 Post by sharieg »

I'm confused.....one place wants to take down and replace the aluminum trim around my windows when they replace them and the other places say they just pull the old ones out and put the new ones in, no need to mess with it. Which is correct install??

Our fear is that we'll have 4" wide white trim around the windows where it is currently the color of the siding in a blue/gray.

Anyone able to look at my pics and give me your thoughts.

Thanks!
Attachments
20150327_192912_resized.jpg
side view of siding to trim
(173.16 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
20150327_192854_resized.jpg
full window
(115.56 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
20150327_192906_resized.jpg
flashing size
(163.76 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

Delaware Mike

Re: trim around vinyl windows

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Existing capping is pretty hard to save in most window replacement projects. We always start fresh and it's included or bid into the pricing. If you don't want so much white showing, why not have the new capping match the color of your siding? Aluminum trim coil comes in hundreds of colors.

sharieg

#3 Post by sharieg »

We asked about that since it matches currently and we got the well it's costly and not a color we keep in stock...won't match because yours is weathered........almost made me feel like I was wasting my time.

He did send me a picture of a finished window that will look similar to ours when trimmed on the outside but it has color to match the siding, ours will be all white.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Simply tell this lazy company that if they want to earn your business that they need to spend 30 minutes of their time to bring out a master swatch of trim coil that can come close to matching the color of your siding. It will take a little more time for them but that's the business we work in.

What I'm reading between the lines of their statement is that possibly their installers are so low-paid that they will mess up two-tone caulking regarding the capping to window tie in. Most large window outfits do purchase pallets of trim coil to obtain 15 to 25% off of their normal pricing and will stock white and tan. Special order colored trim coil might add an additional $100 max to your project in which I'm sure you would be happy to pay to have the finished product that you desire.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Delaware Mike wrote:Simply tell this lazy company that if they want to earn your business that they need to spend 30 minutes of their time to bring out a master swatch of trim coil that can come close to matching the color of your siding. It will take a little more time for them but that's the business we work in.

What I'm reading between the lines of their statement is that possibly their installers are so low-paid that they will mess up two-tone caulking regarding the capping to window tie in. Most large window outfits do purchase pallets of trim coil to obtain 15 to 25% off of their normal pricing and will stock white and tan. Special order colored trim coil might add an additional $100 max to your project in which I'm sure you would be happy to pay to have the finished product that you desire.
EXACTLY! :D

sharieg

#6 Post by sharieg »

You guys are on the same page as my husband! lol I've sent him and email asking the price for the coil. Pending his response will decided if I drop them totally and go with the other company to do the job. I want new windows and I am willing to pay for the work not excuse as to why I can't have it the way I want!

Thanks for the info!!

ARWSTexas

#7 Post by ARWSTexas »

My 2 cents.

If the installer/company are too lazy to get you the samples you need to sign off on a job that you desire, I can not imagine what the work will look like after they are done? This is our business just as Delaware Mike said. There are too many great companies out there to have to deal with a dead beat. Sorry but it drives me mad...

Good luck and choose the other company, and please DON'T let price drive your decision.

:)