Replacement Windows Southern NH?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rick123

Replacement Windows Southern NH?

#1 Post by rick123 »

Just starting to seriously investigate replacement windows for our home, I feel fortunate to have found this site!

Unfortunately my fears of having to endure strong arm sales tactics and wade thru attempted rip-offs seem to be real after reading some of the posts in these forums.

Anyone in my area here that can point me in the right direction? I'm looking for a no-nonsense installer who knows what he's doing and will charge a fair price for a quality product and install job.

Am I better off working with a contractor in the local area that does replacement windows or contacting the window company? It seems the window companies are the ones sending the high presure salesmen.

Anyone here have any thoughts on my questions? Thanks.

Rick

Mass. window guy

#2 Post by Mass. window guy »

I was very impressed with the quality of Paradigm windows. It is made in Portland, Maine and distributed by Applicator Sales in New Hampshire through contractors only. It is very good quality but nothing fantastic for insulation value (u-.31).
A good triple pane in your area would be the Simonton 9800.
I do not know of a Shuco dealer in New Hampshire.

rick123

#3 Post by rick123 »

Sorry to hear there may be no shuco dealers around here, seems that is by far the highest recommended window on this forum.

Thanks for the Simonton 9800 recommend. Appreciate the reply.

Rick

rick123

#4 Post by rick123 »

Mass Window Guy,

I found a Simonton distributer in Manchester. ABC Supply Co. I've taken a look at the Simonton web site and both the 9800 and 5500 look like they would be nice windows and the color options fit our needs. I have seen recommendations to upgrade these models to a "super spacer". What do you think about that and would you suggest any other upgrades that might be available on these models? Since you are in the area, would you have a rough estimate of what each model would cost double hung about 26x50"? If you could not estimate model cost could you estimate how much more the 9800 would be than the 5500?

I found the post below on another forum. It is from 2004. Should I be concerned?

Thanks for your help.

Rick

---------------------------------------------

Well, since you are asking, here is my experience with Simonton. I had Simonton Impressions 9800 put in in October of 2004. The windows look nice, and will hopefully perform well when all is resolved, but I honestly have to say how DISAPPOINTEDI am with 2 things. First, Simontons quality control, in my opinion, is absolutely awful! I have had several sashes replaced (way too many for brand new windows) for many different reasons. They are issues that could have been avoided if Simonton took more concern with their quality control. Many of these windows had no business ever leaving the factory. It puts me in a very awkward situation because I feel like I am being viewed as a "picky complaining customer", but I am not! These issues are very valid and I feel that if these windows had been closely checked before leaving the factory, I wouldn't be in this position. The following are to just a few of the problems:
Slider had many terrible cuts & gauges on the vinyl window and frame. It looked like it had been a used window somewhere else.
The slider that was brought out to replace the above slider has, in one corner, about 5" of the super seal sagging lower than the rest of the windows seal. Looks terrible. STILL YET TO BE REPLACED.
Dbl. Hung - Low e was touching two panes of glass creating a rainbow effect of small little circles.
5 sashes of D.H windows had small particles of who knows what, between the glass and stuck on the glass itself. Was not removable because it was between the glass panes.
One D.H had a lift rail falling off.
A D.H had a very large (3" long) dent on the cross section of the sash next to the lock
Several screens were riped and others missing 1/2 to 1" sections of screen sleens in the corners.
Cross bar on one of the screens (full screens which cost me extra) catches on the D.H window when pulling down the top sash.

Just to name a few!

My second disappointment I have with the windows (related to the design of the screen, so I have been told) are the way that the screen frames are made. The screen frames do not completely meet the corners of the window frames. There are extremely larger than needed gaps inviting to insects. A carpenter ant can crawl through here with ease. Now, isn't it the purpose of screens to keep insects out?? I know that your never going to keep ALL insects out, but this design allows A LOT more than most! I could understand maybe a tiny gap, but these are rediculous and I am told that they are suppose to be like that for drainage purposes. Unbelievable! A better design would be to have the corners meet tighter or make it so the screen frame sits in a track like many other window manufacturers have. Simonton has a bottom track for my slider, so why can't they make the D.H that way??? My silder is the only window that has a good seal from insects, and therefore, is the only window that I don't have this concern with. This concern alone would have kept me from purchasing these windows, had I known of it prior to making my window selection/purchase.

So, there you have it, my two concerns with the window choice that I made. F.Y.I , these windows were installed in October of 04 and it's still not all resolved as of yet. Also, I requested a REP. from SIMONTON to visit me and I was told that it wasn't going to happen. Now that alone is something to consider about Simonton.

Mass. window guy

#5 Post by Mass. window guy »

Rick,
All the larger companies (including Shuco) will tend to have more customer complaints. It is simply a numbers game. The small manufacturers that produce small quantities should have fewer problems because they make a fraction of the # of windows compared to the big guys. I am not making light of the problems that you read about- that is unacceptable. However, it happens quite often.
As far as pricing, I don't like to discuss hard numbers because there are too many factors that vary from job to job.
I would strongly suggest the "Super Sensor Glass" package.
If you would like to e-mail me directly, I can help you out with a name of a good dealer.

Ten-thumbs

#6 Post by Ten-thumbs »

Rick, like you, I was quickly turned off by the ridiculous hard-sell of the window salesmen.
I contacted ABC regarding some lines of Windows that they distribute.
They also recommended an installer to me.
The installer is out of Lowell-- if you're in the Nashua area I'd be glad to pass his contact info to you.

rick123

#7 Post by rick123 »

Mass Window Guy,

Really thanks for your local area help. I will email you with dealer request info.

Ten-thumbs,

Great to hear of someone in the area involved in theis process. Have you had windows installed yet? Thanks.

Rick

Ten-thumbs

#8 Post by Ten-thumbs »

I did a large project about 10 years ago through a contractor in Andover.
I knew nothing at the time and had no internet to research at the time, but luckily ended up with a brand "X" (no clue who makes them) that have performed great low-e/argon.

I did another batch 6 years ago as part of a major renovation--still having no clue about windows--and they are total crap.

Now that I'm "educated" the process has actually gotten more complicated.

A buddy of mine has been installing Paradigm double hungs on his own ans has been thrilled with them.

Mass. window guy

#9 Post by Mass. window guy »

I agree, Paradigm is a decent window.
The problem I have with them is they use swiggle for a spacer.
For the price it is a decent value.

Ten-thumbs

#10 Post by Ten-thumbs »

You guys may have gotten me totally turned on to Paradigms.
Thanks for the feedback.

Rick:
FYI--just got a quote fromJackson Millwork. They have a location in Lawrence and also Raymond, NH. I need casements, and the price they quoted me was incredible !!

rick123

#11 Post by rick123 »

Thanks Ten Ts,

I ran into someone at work who had favorable comments on a window installed by Tim Keddie contracting (Nashua). They install Simontons (as well as Harvey and Trimline (? haven't heard of this one)), which seem to fit our cosmetic as well as performance needs. I'm going to go by their showroom in Nashua when I get a chance and will update my findings as there doesn't seem to be much info on S. NH installs on this board.

Rick

bostonlou

#12 Post by bostonlou »

Mass. window guy wrote:I was very impressed with the quality of Paradigm windows. It is made in Portland, Maine and distributed by Applicator Sales in New Hampshire through contractors only. It is very good quality but nothing fantastic for insulation value (u-.31).
A good triple pane in your area would be the Simonton 9800.
I do not know of a Shuco dealer in New Hampshire.
So I went for a walk at lunch and asked the guys I work with about Windows. One of them is in the process of having Paradigm Windows installed by a contractor in the Shrewsbury area. Had never heard of Paradigm until I read it here this morning. said he's around 4-500 per window...

although I do want something "fantastic" in terms of insulation value

now I just have to figure out what a swiggle is

rick123

#13 Post by rick123 »

Went to the Tim Keddie showroom. They had the Simonton 9800 and 5500 on display as well as some Harvey DH. The window rep was in when I went which was a bonus for me.

He quickly talked me out of the woodgrain interior, saying he would sell me it if I wanted but that I would not be happy with it long term. He said it is very common to install white in a dark wood frame. The wood becomes a "frame" for the white window. And although the tan color Simonton offers was an exact match for our trim color, we went with white exterior also after driving around and seeing most houses with our trim color (that had vinyl) also used white. He was very upfront saying "We are not the cheapest but we are not the most expensive." The same rep does the estimates so I felt comfortable I would not get the "hard sell" at the appointment.

He came today. I needed an estimate for 12 DH. 9 are about 28"x50", 2 are smaller and one we are replacing a 2 sided casement in the kitchen with a DH (turns out this needs to be done as a new construction install, which will involve cutting some of the siding to get the old window out, then puting a frame into the gap where the exterior siding was cut).

When in the showroom, and when the rep arrived, I was set on the 9800s. No particular reason although the appearance seemed slightly better in the 9800s. After the rep did his measurements, he said he would sell me 9800 if I wanted, but he didn't feel the $50-60 premium would be worth it. They ONLY sell the 5500 "fully optioned" (1" glass IG, argon, Superspacer, rail reinforced , etc. We did select the full screen and did not get grids.). I asked why and he said "We don't want to have to come back". They also offer a 5 year Warrenty on everything to do with the windows in addition to the Simonton warrenty.

He explained the installation process, showing me how they would chissell out the interior stops to drop the window in from the inside. I asked about replacing the stops, and he said they would replace them with bare pine that would have to be stained to match the trim. I asked if I could get the new wood stop prior to installation so that I could stain them before the windows were installed. He said many opt for that and I could pick up the wood at the showroom. I thought this was a great option. He said the work would be done in one day, possibly part of a second if we did the porch (see below).

Well he called about 2 hours after he left with an estimate of $8000 for the 12 windows. This includes repairing 3 rotted sills. This works out to roughly $666 a window. I told him we would call back in a few days to let him know.

I'm thinking this sounds reasonable as the company appears to have a solid reputation in the area (over 25 years in business) and I feel that the installation work will be done well.

Any comments on the price from those who might know?

We plan to call back and acccept soon.

I will post back afer the install.

I'll also add that we have a large opening in an upstairs family room that currently holds two casements with a window in between. We asked for a separate quote. He asked if anything was wrong with it, which there is not. We were concerned with windows matching thru out the house, although this is a separate room and this is the only window in it. He recommended we keep it as is. Said it would be a chop job to do casement replacements; He would replace it if we wanted, with a new construction window, but would not do replacements because we would not be happy with the end product. We kept it as is.

Also had him quote our sliders on a three season porch. 7 single sliders. Two - 48w x 48h, Four - 36w x 48h, One - 60w x 48h. They have to take the old ones off from the outside by removing the exterior 1x4? framing. The quote was for $4800. I know this is alot of glass, but this seemed high. Could someone in the know please chime in on this quote as we feel this should be lower. They are Simonton sliders being quoted.

Hope this help people in the area.

Thanks,

Rick

rick123

#14 Post by rick123 »

Just wanted to finish off this thread. We ended up going with the Tim Keddie install.

We had our windows installed yesterday and today. We ended up with 11 Simonton 5500 Reflection double hung, 1 Simonton ProFinish Double hung, and 7 Simonton ProFinish sliders.

The 11 5500s we installed are Low E, Argon, 3/32" glass (IG 3/4"), Intercept Spacer, full screen, rail reinforced, UF-.33, RV-3.03. The Simontan factory labels only list U Factor, Solar Heat Gain Co, and Visible Transmittance; I had to use these values at the Simonton web site to get the complete specs on the windows. Since I was led to believe the 5500s would be "fully loaded" I was mildly disappointed that they did not have the SuperSpacer but not going to make a big deal about it as the specs are nearly identical (and I probably would have been cluelessly happy with the windows if I didn't know what a spacer was to begin with...).

Our 5500s are white both sides installed into our dark stained interior frames and moldings. Although hesitant at first about the white/dark contract, we feel they look great. From the outside they look fine also and really don't make our house look much different than before other than a smaller screen size as the screen is built into the window frame instead of sized to fit the entire opening.

The 11 DHs were installed day one. A three man team did the install. The install went well. Our old wood windows pulled out easily. After the old windows were out, the interior stops were chiseled out (broken off) so that they were flush with the frame opening. I also think some caulk was installed on the outside stop, but not sure. That was it for prep. The window went in next, some were a very snug fit that required molding to be removed to get the window in. To finish off the interior, new inside stops were installed. The stops are 1 1/4" x 1/4" strips of wood. I was able to pick these pieces up a few days in advance of the install to stain them. This was a real time saver as I was able to ensure the color matched and didn't have to worry about staining them after installation. After the window was installed a third installer worked outside the window installing strips of insulation and caulking. This seemed a rather long job on each window, although I don't know the exact specifics of what was done.

The windows open and close easily, fold down effortlessly, and seem to let in much less noise that our old windows. I guess just what you would expect from a new window, but impressive to us just the same.

They did start the slider install the first afternoon, but had to come back and finish those and the new kitchen DH day two.

The single sliders (Low E, Argon, SuperSpacer, IG 3/4", U.31, R3.23) are Simonton Profinish Contractor new install windows. These had to be installed from the outside by first removing the framing on the outside of the window frame, pulling out the old window, putting in the new window, and redoing the framing outside. One of the windows was not the correct size and had to be reordered. These also seem excellent quality windows and we expect to be able to get a few extra months out of this 3 season porch (and possibly use it year round as it is already fully insulated, just needs a heat source) now that the windows are vinyl instead of steel framed.

The workers were professional, cleaned up well, and we feel did a great job with the install. The window rep, Jim Grey, was also professional and quick to return calls. I would recommend this contractor to anyone in the area looking for Simonton (they also do Harvey) windows. As I mentioned, they are not the cheapest and you could probably find the same product for a cheaper quote. I feel the install was quality work, and I believe that this contractor will consistently provide this level of service.

Hope this thread helps those in Southern NH with a need to replace windows.

Rick

586C

Curious about brand selection

#15 Post by 586C »

Rick, great thread. You've done your homework. Wondering if you took a hard look at the Harveys & if so, why you did not select them. Thx.