Final two

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
oldranch

Final two

#1 Post by oldranch »

Hello all,

Need opinions on the final two in northeastern Illinois. We are replacing 11 wide single pane DH's. Frames and sills are in good shape according to the estimators. Choices are:

1. Okna 800 insert replacement. Double pane argon with wood grain interior, upgraded hardware, exterior sills and brickmold wrapped in aluminum. I would have to do the interior trim in stained wood myself. I am capable of doing this type of work.

2. Provia Aeris VT800 full replacement with buck frames, double pane argon glass. New wrapped brickmold. Wood grain interior, upgraded hardware. Interior stained wood trim is included in the job.

Price for each choice is about the same - within a couple hundred dollars. I know the Okna has better specs than the Aeris but would they be noticeably better, especially as an insert window over a full replacement.

Delaware Mike

Re: Final two

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've done both of those series as inserts and full-frame tear out flanged new construction with all new trim. I like the locks better on the ProVia from an aesthetic standpoint, but that's about it. The ProVia has an irrigation weeping sill with exterior bug flaps, only 2-point weatherstripping sash to jamb contact, and seems to have a slightly less thicker mil/.005"-.010" extrusion which is kind of a guess?

It's hard to argue against the full frame method. Real tough call in my opinion.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

I will defer to Mike on this one. Haven't seen the Provia window but it sounds like you have two really good options there.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds like a similar price where one option has a more comprehensive installation(full frame), while the other has the superior product (Okna)

What has led you to believe that a full frame install is necessary? If both guys confirmed that the existing frames are in good condition, I'm not sure that the extra $$$ on a full tear out would be wise unless you have some very narrow windows and are sensitive to a small loss in viewable glass area. Even at that, is it worth a product downgrade? ... The Provia is a decent window, but the sill design and performance aren't there with your other choice.

At this point, I'd try to get an apples to apples quote from each to compare, meaning same options, install procedures, etc. That way you can look at the price and quality difference and make a more educated decision.

oldranch

#5 Post by oldranch »

Thanks all for the input. I think HomeSealed has pushed me in the best direction here. I don't think I put the real question out there properly, but he did. I did get some apples to apples estimates and either my budget was exceeded or I was not sold on the window itself. Actually, the price difference between my two final choices is negligible. I was mostly concerned with a performance difference in installation methods. I was led to believe that even good pocket windows offered subpar performance compared to full frame replacements.

My frames are are solid so I guess full frame installation is not required. It seems from the input I've gotten here that a high quality insert window in a solid frame is not any worse than lower performance full replacement window, installation being equal. I've got a very good feeling about both contractors but I think I'm going to go with the Okna inserts. I also like the looks of the Okna way better. And doing the trim myself will keep me out of the wifes hair while I'm on vacation.

Thank you guys again for the help.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds like a good plan.
You are correct in your understanding that a replacement installation will return the same efficiency as a full tear out when both are done properly

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

The requirement for me to chose between the two different methods of installation would be based upon the skill set of the exterior capping and caulking. The capping should be precise and compliment the appearance of the window. Unfortunately, most guys either rush this step and it shows years down the road.

Most new construction methods eliminate capping and visible caulking which is nice. However, is not always practical to go to such extremes.

twinsmom1

#8 Post by twinsmom1 »

Curious if you did go with the OKNA who installed them for you?

I also have pretty large windows and I am a little concerned that without some reinforcement (Kevlar or steel) my windows will begin to sag over time. I have the OKNA 500 quoted, not the 800...

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks!

oldranch

#9 Post by oldranch »

Well, here is a brief review of my Okna 800DX windows after 6 months. They are perfect! The best home improvement money I've ever spent. My rooms are totally draft free and quiet. The rooms were easier to keep cooler through the summer and now with the cold weather here my thermostat is set about 5 degrees lower than is used to be with the old windows. The ONLY thing I see that might be called a negative is some slight condensation on the bottom of the sashes in the morning after the shades have been pulled all night. I'm not bothered by this and the moisture evaporates soon after raising the shades. So, all in all, a window success story. Thanks again to the pros here for their input and guidance.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

That condensation on the bottom of the window is totally normal for this time of year. No matter how warm or energy efficient your glass is, it is still the coldest surface in your home.
Bear in mind, high humidity inside a home can also cause it, especially if the windows are air tight. Why?? if you had very leaky windows , the humidity goes right out the window but so does the heat unfortunately. Your new air tight windows keep humidity inside the home which is good when your heater is on so your home's air is'nt too dry.
Try lowering your humidifier if you have one. But again, some condensation is normal with new windows and extremely common.

randy

#11 Post by randy »

Oldranch, thank you for taking the time to return to this post and update it with your experience. It's tremendously helpful to other consumers. Good choice on windows, they'll serve you well for many years to come.