Simonton 5500 or Berkshire Elite

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
patgilm

Simonton 5500 or Berkshire Elite

#1 Post by patgilm »

I need to replace some windows and have received a handful of quotes and I have narrowed it down to these two windows based on a price of about $500-$550 per window. I know these two windows are not the best window but some of the other windows mentioned on this board are almost double the price and I don't need the best windows in this house as it is not a million dollar home and I don't plan on being here forever. For me to pay in the $900's per window would be like putting HRE wheels with sport cup 2 tires on a Honda Accord, it just doesn't make sense.

With that being said, which of these two windows for the same amount of money would you go with.

HomeSealed

Re: Simonton 5500 or Berkshire Elite

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

You may have to search further or haggle a bit to get there, but you can find better choices in that range unless you have a complicated install or Cadillac option package.

If I had to choose between those two, I guess I'd take the simonton.

patgilm

#3 Post by patgilm »

HomeSealed wrote:You may have to search further or haggle a bit to get there, but you can find better choices in that range unless you have a complicated install or Cadillac option package.

If I had to choose between those two, I guess I'd take the simonton.
Thanks. I have haggled for months now and have had numerous (more than 5) companies come out. It is a painful process and everyone claims their windows are the best. I know from here what windows are the best (Okna, Sunrise, etc.) but again, $900-$1100 a window is not worth it to me. The area I live in is somewhat high which drives the price up. For example, I have had quotes from $12k to $16k for a roof with GAF or Certainteed architectural shingles. I just had it done for $8k with the same materials and certified installer warranty so I know how to haggle and do my research well.

I am leaning toward the Simonton with the only reservation being the large amount of vinyl around the glass. Thanks for your input.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Nothing in stone says the Okna and Sunrise would be at or near that 1K mark.

If those are my two options, I am going Simonton.

patgilm

#5 Post by patgilm »

Windows on Washington wrote:Nothing in stone says the Okna and Sunrise would be at or near that 1K mark.

If those are my two options, I am going Simonton.

You are right, I was looking at the higher end Okna and Sunrise.

I have 4 - 33x74 windows with grids, 4 - 33x64 windows with grids with bottom half tempered and 1 32x65 no grids.

Simonton 5500 - $455 per window.
Softlite Pro - $644 per window.
Okna 500 - $778 per window

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Those numbers aren't out of normalcy range.

Would they quote the 400? I don't care for it because it is close in price to the 500 but some guys offer it at a lesser number.

patgilm

#7 Post by patgilm »

No quote on the Okna 400. Are those comparable to the Softlite Pro?

I am going to check out the Vytek Fortis also. Are those comparable to the 400 and Pro?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Pro, Fortis, and 400 would all be in about the same tier if you ask me....and you did.

:D

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

In my neck of the woods you can get the 400 with grids for $560.
The tempered glass adds a bit.

patgilm

#10 Post by patgilm »

TheWindowNerd wrote:In my neck of the woods you can get the 400 with grids for $560.
The tempered glass adds a bit.
If it is that cheap for the 400 how much for the 500? I assume mid $600's?

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

There is no standard price out there that you can depend on. Every shop, business local, and cost of doing business is different.

Best thing I can say is get the best window that you can that will fit your budget.

Do remember that this is a long term (should be permanent) selection and even if you have 15 windows and the better window is $50 more per unit, that equals out to a whopping $6.25 per month delta over 10 years.

I would say that the better window is usually worth the premium.

patgilm

#12 Post by patgilm »

I got a few more quotes:

Softlite Imerial LS - $678 per window
Softlite pro - $623 per window
Affinity Elite - $653 per window
Sunrise Verde - $781 per window

I am leaning toward the Softlite Imperial or Affinity Elite, any thoughts on either of these and why one over the other?

Also, I assume the imperial LS is a much better window than the Pro for the extra $55 correct?

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

patgilm wrote:I got a few more quotes:

Softlite Imerial LS - $678 per window
Softlite pro - $623 per window
Affinity Elite - $653 per window
Sunrise Verde - $781 per window

I am leaning toward the Softlite Imperial or Affinity Elite, any thoughts on either of these and why one over the other?
Both very good windows. I've personally soured on softlite's customer service practices, but the window is good. Affinity is a bit newer/younger company, so that would be the only trepidation there. All signs point to them being an "up and comer" though, and the extrusion is made by Decunink so its not like it would disappear of the face of the earth.
patgilm wrote: Also, I assume the imperial LS is a much better window than the Pro for the extra $55 correct?

Yes. I'd say that the Pro is the prune in this basket of oranges. Performance numbers are not bad, but it is pretty dated and not quite on the same level as the other choices. Process of elimination, I toss this one first without hesitation.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I also like the LS, it was my offering of choice till I started with the 800DX.

Where are you located?

patgilm

#15 Post by patgilm »

TheWindowNerd wrote:I also like the LS, it was my offering of choice till I started with the 800DX.

Where are you located?
Near Annapolis, MD