Revere Sovereign vs Vytex Fortis - Worth the difference?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
citizenalpha

Revere Sovereign vs Vytex Fortis - Worth the difference?

#1 Post by citizenalpha »

Hello -

Looking to add 5 double hung, double paned windows with Simulated Divided Light (SDL) grids in DC. Window sizes are: 2x 74x22; 1x 74x26; 2x 75x30

Quote 1 from reputable dealer with high pressure 2.5 hour sales pitch/haggle session and his stupid "let me call my boss for a today only price" song and dance: $4800
Vytex Fortis 0.26 U-factor; 0.26 SHGC. Constant Force
- Lifetime warranty.
- Originally offered a Soft-lite, but switched to Fortis after SDL discussion. Actually saw the Fortis in person, and it seemed fair enough.
- Their install looks good, at least from their pitch.

Quote 2 is from a reputable dealer (Windows Universe) that was very up front with their pricing and extremely reasonable, no bargaining needed: $3500
Revere Sovereign 0.29 U-factor (maybe? 0.27?); 0.27 SHGC. Block and Tackle
- Not totally certain about U-factor. Website says 0.29, salesman's notes says 0.27.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Originally offered Berkshire Elite, but after we said we wanted SDLs, salesperson switched to Sovereign. Wasn't shown a Sovereign sample.
- Brochure at: reverebuildingproducts.com/window-brochures/R_SovWin_broch.pdf
- Unclear about their install quality. Angie's list generally thinks they're decent.

I would've gotten a quote for Okno but Windows on Washington apparently doesn't serve DC metro area anymore, which is very odd. All prices include all the little charges (lead remediation, removal of bars).

Are there meaningful differences between the two brands that you can describe that would make the $260/window difference worthwhile?

Or is the Sovereign line a solid product at that price point? Sovereign looks like it's got most of the high end features (Sloped sill, foam fill, PPG intercept stainless steel spacer), at least on paper.

I'm also a little concerned that the frame on the Sovereign line might seem a little chunky, especially for the 74x22 windows.

Windows on Washington

Re: Revere Sovereign vs Vytex Fortis - Worth the difference?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Citizenalpha,

Feel free to give me a call at the office. Call and ask for Eric and make sure that they say you are from the web boards.

I will talk to you and take care of this.

Eric

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd definitely follow up with Windows on Washington. Best window of the bunch, and a great group of people over there.

fridge2020

#4 Post by fridge2020 »

+1. and I would not bother with the the Revere. Old design, very bulky, perfomance that is average at best. It does not have a true sloped sill either. Still channels water through the frame.

citizenalpha

#5 Post by citizenalpha »

Thanks for the feedback. Truth be told the $4800 is a little hard to stomach, even though performance on paper is generally better for the Fortis. Still, numbers for the Revere seem to meet 2016 Energy star standards and I'm still having a hard time seeing where the difference is worthwhile outside of it being an older model - especially if it's a $1300 difference.

I'd happily entertain Okno 800s if the price is right, but I'm not sure what to expect per window currently. When I first called WoW I was told they no longer work in DC metro. I left a message with WoW/Eric, hope to hear back soon.

fridge2020

#6 Post by fridge2020 »

If money is important to you, I guess I don't see the logic in spending $3500 on a product that is widely held in low regard. Sure, $4800 is $1300 more, but we are talking steak vs a mcdouble here. Personally I'd get another quote or two.
Those sizes are pretty big. Are these double or triple units by chance?

citizenalpha

#7 Post by citizenalpha »

That's definitely a different way of looking at it. Given that we're upgrading from a 1980's Thermal industries window with transoms that won't close, we were of the opinion that even the Revere's were a huge upgrade. Even a Mcdouble will sound amazing after eating moldy crumbs :lol:

I did see around the forums that people generally didn't like the Reveres, was just having a hard time pinpointing what exactly was bad about them.
Those sizes are pretty big. Are these double or triple units by chance?
They each have about an 10-11" high transom that sits on top of the window that are both too high for us to gain any usage out of and maybe of them are stuck open, so we thought it was just better to replace it entirely and get rid of the transom.

fridge2020

#8 Post by fridge2020 »

citizenalpha wrote:
I did see around the forums that people generally didn't like the Reveres, was just having a hard time pinpointing what exactly was bad about them.
Ironically enough, some companies are still using designs from the 80's and 90's, including TI and Revere. You'll see an upgrade given low-e coatings and glass spacer technology, but in reality you are just getting a newer version of what you have: a mediocre window by today's standards. Thing is, that TI window was a top of the line design back then.
Will anything be better than 30 year old windows? Yes, but again, that is a bunch of money to spend just to be better than moldy breadcrumbs. You wouldn't pay $15 for that mcdouble when you can get a steak for $25. See what I'm saying

citizenalpha

#9 Post by citizenalpha »

Left two messages for Eric with WoW and e-mailed him my contact info. Can't seem to get anyone to call me back from Windows on Washington, despite their reputation. Maybe my job is too small?

How does the Fortis compare to the Okno 800? Anyone know of other Okno dealers in the DC area?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

citizenalpha wrote:Left two messages for Eric with WoW and e-mailed him my contact info. Can't seem to get anyone to call me back from Windows on Washington, despite their reputation. Maybe my job is too small?

How does the Fortis compare to the Okno 800? Anyone know of other Okno dealers in the DC area?
Not too busy.

I have been out of the office for the last couple of days.

I have your email bookmarked in my inbox and will call you tomorrow in the AM.

Eric

citizenalpha

#11 Post by citizenalpha »

Understood, thanks! Looking forward to your call.