Windows Replacement Total Confusion

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
twinsmom1

Windows Replacement Total Confusion

#1 Post by twinsmom1 »

So, I have an windows company in IL telling me that Alside Mezzo windows are very good and that I would be happy with them. According to this site, they are not good and as such, I looked at OKNA 500's.

I have 21 windows (16 DH, 4 Sliders, 1 Awning)

I don't need the 800's and like the look of the 500's better.

My concern for the OKNA is no steel/Kevlar reinforcement on the OKNA and I have pretty large windows. Will the OKNA 500 have issues with sagging without reinforcement such as this.

The installer that I like won't even try to get them for us because they aren't steel reinforced.

Another company says steel reinforcement is not needed and won't recommend it due to it getting cold.

I am so confused as to what is best here...

HELP!

TheWindowNerd

Re: Windows Replacement Total Confusion

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would for sure go with the 500DX, I like the 800DX the best.
We install mostly 800s.

One person for the best and most help in C land...
Dave at Window4U or Strong Windows
He post here on the forum as Window4U

twinsmom1

#3 Post by twinsmom1 »

Thank you WindowNerd...so are you saying the 500DX should not have issues with sagging even without steel reinforcement or reinforcement??

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

500 series is very well engineered and the mil thickness on the vinyl is plenty strong without reinforcement. This is why they get it to a DP-50 without the need for reinforcement.

The 800 is just a bit stronger in this case because of the reinforcement.

Both are great and will not sag over time.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to the other posts. Sash reinforcement is great , and I wouldn't recommend AGAINST it, but frankly it is not needed in most cases. It is preferred on really wide windows, or in applications such as coastal where a high DP is needed, but not necessary for long term reliability of the window is quality. The okna 500 achieves a DP with no reinforcement which is a great indication of the superior engineering. Sagging is no issue.... For that matter, I generally would prefer to stay away from metal reinforcement. It is conductive and usually found in lower grade windows because it is cheaper.
Based on your Kevlar reference, it sounds like you may have seen a softlite product as well. That would be a better comparison to the okna . The Mezzo is not on the same level as those two.

twinsmom1

#6 Post by twinsmom1 »

Yes I did see the soft lit imperial ls, but am heavily leaning toward the 500 deluxe....another company is looking to quit me these as well s the 800 series....

I have seen a lot of windows, alside mezzo, soft lite imperial ls, okna 500 &800, sunrise, pretty much every type of window sold...lol.

We r moving forward with the 500 series but am concerned about the size of my windows. What's the width I should worry about sagging with these 500deluxe windows? Is there a suggestion there?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

I wouldn't be.

Nice thing about Okna is if they are going to have issues, they won't make it.

If you are really concerned...opt for the 800s.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

Steel reinforcement has condensation issues which can cause cause mould inside the frame; its also very conductive and can negatively affect the Ufactor. Most higher end products that use reinforcement have now switched to composite/ fiberglass reinforcements because of the thermal conduction steel and aluminum cause.