New windows for 13 year old house

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
milgrad

New windows for 13 year old house

#1 Post by milgrad »

We live in home that is approx 13 years old. It has builder grade low end windows. We have 5 out of 14 windows with a broken seal and major moisture between the panes. I am thinking of just replacing all of them to get something decent. For an installed price of around $440 per window what do you all recommend? This would be for a white vinyl insert. Grids on 7 of the windows ( front facing).

Thanks

Delaware Mike

Re: New windows for 13 year old house

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Are your current windows vinyl or aluminum? I can't fathom anyone able to do a correct full flange tear out for $440 a window correctly. Most of the houses I'm seeing built these days have larger sized windows with grids. You cannot even purchase a quality window wholesale for under $250 from a building supply house.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Had customers who lived across the street from each other. One had me replace the windows, one had me replace the failed IG. A year later I was back replacing more failed IG. Eventually they spent as much as replacing the IG but still had terrible windows.

I think $440 is a little low to get a good window and a good install.
$550 per window for a not top rated tight air infiltration window up to $650 per window for a top rated unit. That is a general idea for the Philly market.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Replacing IGUs is usually a failed experiment.

milgrad

#5 Post by milgrad »

Current windows are vinyl but very cheap. We get major condensation during the winter and now with at least 5 windows with broken seals. I am just not sure what to get. I am in the pittsburgh area and had a local company thermo twin come out but they were very unprofessional and wanted almost $1000 per window. I was not impressed at all. I had two other contractors come out who I both liked and based on reviews they do fantastic installs but they were both pushing the Alside Mezzo with the Climatech IE package.... .28 rating and the insulated frame....but I know most people on this board do not like Alside. I have tried to find a dealer for Okna Windows but haven't had any luck...

BTW the windows are all approx 36 by 60.

Any ideas?

EltonNoway

#6 Post by EltonNoway »

milgrad wrote:Current windows are vinyl but very cheap. We get major condensation during the winter and now with at least 5 windows with broken seals. I am just not sure what to get. I am in the pittsburgh area and had a local company thermo twin come out but they were very unprofessional and wanted almost $1000 per window. I was not impressed at all. I had two other contractors come out who I both liked and based on reviews they do fantastic installs but they were both pushing the Alside Mezzo with the Climatech IE package.... .28 rating and the insulated frame....but I know most people on this board do not like Alside. I have tried to find a dealer for Okna Windows but haven't had any luck...

BTW the windows are all approx 36 by 60.

Any ideas?
I'm not an installer or installation expert but I spent a few "months" perusing this and other forums for ideas and suggestions. I as well had trouble locating a Okna rep in my area. So... I filled out the "contact form on the Okna site and a local Okna rep called me within 24 hours!

oknawindows.com/contact/

As far as "quality" vinyl window choices go... its a "two" part decision.
1) The window manufacturer
2) The installer / installation company you choose

FYI: Even the best most expensive window on the market buys you nothing if poorly installed. In other words... a mid range window expertly installed is better than a top tier window poorly installed.

In my quest for replacement "vinyl" windows it became apparent I could choose from any of the following manufacturers / models and would not be disappointed. Listed in no particular order:

Okna's 500 / Insul-Tec line
Okna's 800 / Enviro-star line*
Soft-lite line - Imperial LS
Soft-lite line - Elements*
Sunrise - Vanguard
Sunrise - Restorations*

* = Companies Top Tier / Premium Window.
NOTE: There may be other quality window manufacturers in your specific area.

Obviously... "price & performance" are other major considerations. As far as performance, the all of the above are Energy Star qualified, simply compare the NFRC specifications.
(U-Factor) - How well the window insulates. The lower the number the better an insulator.
(SHGC) Solar Heat Gain Coefficient - Solar radiation / heat passed through. The lower the number the better
(VT) Visible Transmittance - Amount of light passed through. Lower number = dimmer room. Higher number = brighter.
(AL) Air Leakage - Air passing through joints in the window. The lower the number the better
Condensation Resistance (resistance to water build-up) The higher the number the better

Once I narrowed it down to the above manufacturers / models... I decided I would be happy with any of them. I ended up getting quotes on all of the above, replacing all the windows in my house. For me it was easy from a pricing perspective because as all the quotes were within a couple hundred dollars of each other. I made my final selection based on the installers reputation and experience. HINT: Don't fall victim to a salesman charm. Get referrals, visit and inspect other window installations in your area. Get all the details of what you expect to be done as part of the installation in writing.

As far as Alside goes, my research led me to believe they make a good "mid range" window. I believe their Preservation series is their top tier high end model, but it doesn't complete with the top tier windows listed above.

fridge2020

#7 Post by fridge2020 »

I was on board until the part about Alside making a good window :lol:

milgrad

#8 Post by milgrad »

Thanks...I have filled on the form on Okna's website and they have yet to contact me...this was early last week and I contacted them again today....Hopefully soon...

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Milgrad, where are you located? Many manufacturers (including okna) are somewhat regional.

milgrad

#10 Post by milgrad »

Pittsburgh, PA

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

4 years ago we did a 36 window job in Pittsburg.
It is a bit of a haul but doable.
When next you contact Okna also supply your screen name.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Milgrad, there should be Okna dealer coverage in your location. In fact, if Window nerd serves your area he would be an excellent resource. I've met him personally, and he is a true craftsman and a fine human being. You can click his get a quote button if you would like to contact him.

milgrad

#13 Post by milgrad »

Thanks,,,I contacted Okna via phone and they told me they don't have any dealers in this area which really surprises me.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you call again and talk to Sharleen she will get you my contact info.

wayne Anthony young theWindowNerd