Adersen Renewal Replacment windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
RDH

Adersen Renewal Replacment windows

#1 Post by RDH »

Hi,
I just had an in-home consultation regarding Andersen's Renewal windows. I'm still in sticker shock. 1,100.00 per window. Does anyone have an opinion, good or bad,. Thanks! RDH

customex

#2 Post by customex »

The Andersen Renewal window is way overpriced. There are many better performing windows with significantly lower prices.

If you will let everyone know what part of the country you are in, we can provide some alternatives.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#3 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

A quick synopsis of the Renewal, poor air infiltration test, low dp rating and way overpriced for a window of that quality. If the salesperson impressed you with Fibrex (a combo of wood and vinyl) go for the real thing and get fiberglass, low air infiltration test high dp ratings and a better price. Also check out the better vinyls all of better quality than Renewal.

RDH

#4 Post by RDH »

customex wrote:The Andersen Renewal window is way overpriced. There are many better performing windows with significantly lower prices.

If you will let everyone know what part of the country you are in, we can provide some alternatives.
Thanks for the reply. I'm in NJ. I have a 1935 Craftsman Style home with LOUSY aluminum replacement windows, 21 in all. I came across Renewal at a home show last weekend. With all that I've read on this site about Renewal and windows in general, I'm totally overwhelmed at this point...........

wayside

Re: Adersen Renewal Replacment windows

#5 Post by wayside »

RDH wrote:Hi,
I just had an in-home consultation regarding Andersen's Renewal windows. I'm still in sticker shock. 1,100.00 per window. Does anyone have an opinion, good or bad,. Thanks! RDH
They gave me a pretty hard sell, which I didn't appreciate. For me they started at $1400/window and then started coming down when I didn't sign.

jdegeorge

#6 Post by jdegeorge »

RDH

I went to that show in Edison as well. I've got Renewal by Andersen coming to the house tonight for an estimate on 18 windows. I'm expecting the worse from a pricing perspective, based on all the posts I've been reading on this board.

Also at that show was Morris Windows. They're an exlusive dealer in our area for the Schuco window. Until the show I never heard of Schuco. They came over last week for a demo and estimate and my wife and I were very impressed.

According to most folks on this board, they're more impressed with Schuco than with Andersen Renewal.

We're leaning towards Schuco.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#7 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

jdegeorge that's an understatement. Fifty percent of the windows available today impress me more than the Renewal.

jdegeorge

#8 Post by jdegeorge »

I had to laugh at that one! :-)

I have Renewal coming over for an estimate tonight. I'll tell them about this site so they can see for themselves!
Last edited by jdegeorge on Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

researcher

#9 Post by researcher »

[quote="degeorge"]I had to laugh at that one! :-)

I have Renewal coming over for an estimate tonight. I'll tell them about this site so they can see for themselves how much they're loved![/quote]

[quote="degeorge"]I had to laugh at that one! :-)

I have Renewal coming over for an estimate tonight. I'll tell them about this site so they can see for themselves how much they're loved![/quote]

We have Renewal and this is my first heating season with them. We burn fuel oil to heat our home,(hot water heat).

In 2001/2 we used 561 gallons
2002/3 625
2003/4 598
2004/5 609
2005/6 so far 408 and can only guess that we will burn about 30 or 50 more gallons.

We almost went with Schuco but went with Renewal instead because Schuco could not meet our needs is several areas. The lowest we could Schuco down to was just under $19,000 for inserts. I paid 25,000 for Renewal but that included casements. Schuco could not give me casements because they would sag because of there size. Schuco could not give me the exterior color we wanted nor the wood interior we wanted. The Renewal's price also included finishing the wood interior that did take four steps to complete.

Renewal also did not give us inserted, it was a complete tear out as to not reduce the glass area. We like a well lit home. The south side of our house can gets really hot in the summer and the windows are long, so we did not want a material that would expand that much. And i do not like the looks of aluminum capping. We have aluminum capping around a service door and it looks cheap compared to what the windows look like. We are very pleased the looks of the Renewal windows in and out. Schuco may be fine for some homes but not for ours.

All these are important to us, after all, it is our home not some car that will scrap in 20 years.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#10 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Too bad you didn't do a little more shopping, you could have saved more gallons of fuel and bought a better window for less with all the features you got with the Renewal and more.

steelersfan

#11 Post by steelersfan »

The Renewal by Anderson folks here refused to come over to my house unles both me and my wife were present. For that they lost a potential sale and from what I've read about the Renewal, I'm glad they played the sleezy hardball card.

jdegeorge

#12 Post by jdegeorge »

They all do that. If all the homeowners are not present, they will not make the appointment. I believe they're trying to prevent you from saying, "I have to check with my wife first" which diffuses they're "sign today" price tactics.

There has to be some way to have the government or someone control the pricing in this industry! It's not fair. There's no proof that the prices are good. They can charge whatever people are willing to pay.
Last edited by jdegeorge on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

researcher

#13 Post by researcher »

[quote="ANOTHER WINDOW GUY"]Too bad you didn't do a little more shopping, you could have saved more gallons of fuel and bought a better window for less with all the features you got with the Renewal and more.[/quote]

Yes maybe so, some fiberglass window maybe, but i would have to paint the exterior.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#14 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Nope, comes std with your choice of five different ext colors and if theres more than five windows on the job we'll eat the setup and the customer has a choice of a thousand colors.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#15 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

jdegeorge, you really don't want the government involved, the price when their through regulating things would be over the rainbow. A reputable window dealer well not play the sleazy price games with you. When I give a presentation and spend whatever time it takes to get there and back and the hour or two with the customer I give it my best shot everytime. I know what I can do the job for and that's my price and unless you sit at the right hand side of the throne of god that's the price. You just have to weed out the the scam artist and do a little shopping.
This business well never get rid of all the tin men, but their slowly leaving because of supply and demand, hopefully making it better for all window shoppers.