Provia Windows - Aluminum Reinforced Sashes

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
qcvinyl

Provia Windows - Aluminum Reinforced Sashes

#1 Post by qcvinyl »

Has anyone had experience with the Provia Aeris VT700 Series? Are these any good? And the aluminum reinforced sashes - does that bring up a condensation/mold issue inside the sash?

Windows on Washington

Re: Provia Windows - Aluminum Reinforced Sashes

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

There shouldn't be any condensation in the sash (i.e. inside of the extrusion), however, metal reinforcements do downgrade the R-value of that lineal and it can be a condensation point.

qcvinyl

#3 Post by qcvinyl »

Windows on Washington wrote:There shouldn't be any condensation in the sash (i.e. inside of the extrusion), however, metal reinforcements do downgrade the R-value of that lineal and it can be a condensation point.
Sorry, I am not fully up on the lingo yet. Can you clarify what you mean by "that lineal"? Just trying to make sense of this for myself and if there is an issue with these windows with the aluminum. Here is a picture where you can see the reinforcement.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Lineal would just mean a profile length of the vinyl material by design I guess. ProVia hasn't changed their lineal reinforcement of the sash profile to keep up with the competition as most have when to some sort of composite material to gain and edge.

That is not a bad window by any stretch, but it's kind of an odd design with a lot going on. I'm a ProVia dealer and have installed them in the past. ProVia's strength regarding their vinyl lines in more the companies outstanding reputation and quality control more than the design, performance, and value of the product.

qcvinyl

#5 Post by qcvinyl »

Delaware Mike wrote:Lineal would just mean a profile length of the vinyl material by design I guess. ProVia hasn't changed their lineal reinforcement of the sash profile to keep up with the competition as most have when to some sort of composite material to gain and edge.

That is not a bad window by any stretch, but it's kind of an odd design with a lot going on. I'm a ProVia dealer and have installed them in the past. ProVia's strength regarding their vinyl lines in more the companies outstanding reputation and quality control more than the design, performance, and value of the product.
I failed to mention that the picture was actually of the VT800 instead of the VT700 I was looking at. Just couldn't find a cross section of the VT700. How would you rate the VT700 vs. the Great Lakes Seabrooke? It seems hard to match up a good quality window with a good installer in this area. :(

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'd guess that both those series of windows should be on par with each either? Great Lakes/Plygem glazes with stainless Intercept while ProVia does their own glass with Super Spacer. I stopped dealing with Great Lakes just as they changed everything back in 2005, thus I'm not as versed with their current offerings.

HomeSealed knows a lot more about the Plygem/Great Lakes products than I do. He might be the best guy to chime in.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Things have not gone in the right direction in terms of product advancement and quality since Great Lakes was purchased by PlyGem IMO. Used to be a top tier window, now it has fallen behind the times. You could do worse I suppose... I'd probably opt for the Provia if all else is equal.