Vinyl Replacement Options and Questions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Western NY

Vinyl Replacement Options and Questions

#1 Post by Western NY »

I feel like the more that I research the more contradictory information that I find on windows. I am replacing 1950's wood frame single pane windows (with storms) with vinyl replacement windows. I know that any new window is an improvement and have gotten several quotes. It has led me to some questions.

8 of my windows are 40 inches wide. Should sagging over time be a concern? Some of the windows have reinforcements and some don't.

I have gotten quotes for Alside Mezzo, Ultramax, and Soft-Lite Pros (I also got another one that was overpriced by far and won't bother mentioning). I also was looking at Soft-Lite Imperial on their site. This model wasn't offered by the installer. Any recommendations out of these windows? Winter sucks pretty bad in my area, we get some nasty lake effect weather. I have read that the metal reinforcements conduct a lot of cold/heat, and the mezzo / imperial have some composite reinforcements. Thoughts on this?

Last question and this is what concerned me. I was originally leaning towards the Soft-Lite installer until I thought about this part. I have a front picture window that is 8'6". The soft-lite was quoted as $950 for double casement with a picture center. Both of my other quotes said that casement will add $500-800 above other windows right off the bat and instead suggested 1/4 - 1/2 - 1/4 double slider alside was $1100 with grids. Any reviews on Soft-Lite casements? Why so cheap? Someone in the area I know has them says the hardware for cranking the window have all corroded and/or stopped working completely in 10 year old windows. Her double hungs from soft-lite have done well, but casements, not so much. Because of this I am leaning towards the double slider.

All of the quotes are from reputable contractors / dealers in the area.

HomeSealed

Re: Vinyl Replacement Options and Questions

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The Softlite is the best of that group and the only worthy consideration IMO. On pricing, their casements are not any cheaper than anyone else's, I'd imagine that perhaps your sales rep made a mistake, or this company just gives a price break on mulled units...

Two pieces of advice:
1) Look at Elements or LS if you like softlite. Much better products.
2) Look at a couple alternative brands like Sunrise, Okna/Himark. That way you will have more than one quality product to choose from, and quite frankly, Softlite is my least favorite of the top performers on the market.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

When it comes to picture windows and casements Soft-Lite like many others use the same window with different upgrades. The Pro is virtually the same window as the Element or LS except when it comes to double-hungs but even these are pretty good at what it does. What type of window is being used in the 40" openings?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Thanks for clarifying that Todd.

@Western, he is correct that the SL casement extrusion is the same. I'd still prefer the upgraded lines however as they add multiple layers of weatherstripping and some other things. On double hungs and sliders however there is a pretty significant difference, especially on larger units.