OKNA windows in South Jersey

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tedkord

OKNA windows in South Jersey

#1 Post by tedkord »

I've got 9 windows to replace (double hung). Three are 35x59, two are 31x48 and the remaining four are twin (side by side 35x59) sets that are 71x59 total, two sets.

Reading up, I think I'd like to go with Okna, either the 500 or 800 series - white all around with colonial grids.

How do I find Okna contractors? There's no listing on their site. I have found two that list the windows (but claim them as their own brand) with an internet search for "Envirostar South Jersey", but I can't find any real reviews on the contractors, which worries me.

Also, as I have no idea, what price range installed would I be looking at, roughly? Just general, per window. I know without details of the install, I can't expect an exact price. I just want ballpark so I know I'm not being taken to the cleaners. (One detail - I'm getting new siding right after, so damage to the siding isn't an issue)

Any help is appreciated.

TheWindowNerd

Re: OKNA windows in South Jersey

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Pricing is tricky without seeing the job site to understand all that needs to be in the scope of work.
Also how old is the home? The EPA requires that lead paint protocols are followed on homes before 1978. It adds cost depending on the type of install.
I would estimate 700 to 750 for 800DX with simple RRP.
Delaware Mike, who is a contributor on this forum would be a great choice.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

What part of South Jersey do you reside in? I may know of a few other OKNA dealers that service your area if you're not in my neck of the woods. I can also try to get my "get a quote" icon activated if needed which would allow you to contact me.

tedkord

#4 Post by tedkord »

Thanks for the replies.

I'm near the Commodore Barry Bridge, around the border between Gloucester and Salem counties.

The house was built in the 80s, no lead paint. I should also add, I've got a sliding patio door that needs replaced, too. I'm getting new siding and a roof. The windows are an after thought. My dad recommended getting them replaced before the siding job. I'm just trying to see if I can afford them along with the other work (they're in pretty bad shape).

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sounds like the Bridgeport and Swedesboro area. My backyard pretty much as it's about a 15 min ride. Most folks are paying somewhere in the ballpark of $500 to $750 (per hole) for most normal and not heavily optioned out mid to high-grade vinyl replacement windows these days in your area. If you get up towards Cherry Hill you can see a bit higher than that and on the flip side, Vineland and Cumberland county could be 10-20% less however with much lower grade products.

The big heavy hitter outfits that you hear on the radio, TV, and direct mail, or newspaper start their pricing much higher than that and then play the typical games regarding specials and one call closing discounts.

tedkord

#6 Post by tedkord »

That's exactly my area, in one of the Beckett developments.

Are you an Okna installer specifically, or will you install any brand I want?

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

I do mostly OKNA 800dx, Soft-Lite Elements and various other lines within the SL family, Sunrise Vanguard, Affinity Energex, and ProVia. My arm can be twisted to match up a Simonton product and I can also do the composite Interstate product. We try to stay away from the lower grade stuff as it always leaves a lot to be desired.

Is there a specific product that caught your eye?

tedkord

#8 Post by tedkord »

Just from reading, the Okna 500 and 800, because they seem so widely well regarded and their factory is relatively close.

I just noticed the quote button you spoke of earlier. I'll hit that to contact you. Are you very backed up with jobs right now? If I go forward, I want to get it going soon,as I'm holding up the siding work for it. Actually, in a perfect world I could coordinate between you and the siding contractor.

I'm going to bed, I'll contact you through the quote button tomorrow,or later tonight if I can't sleep. Thanks.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Mike is more than fairly priced.
His care and craftsmanship are exceptional. If I was to have someone in this area install my windows I would pick him. He is fussy, fussy, fussy.

Jack25

#10 Post by Jack25 »

Don't mean to thread jack but I am getting 13 windows replaced in my home in Westchester County in NY and I am getting OKNA 700 casement windows. It came out to $7800 total so about $600 each for window and install. Is that a decent price?

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

It's a bit late now, but that is a GREAT price.