Softlite and Sunrise options

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
qcvinyl

Softlite and Sunrise options

#1 Post by qcvinyl »

So, I originally was looking at the Great Lakes Seabrooke and the Provia VT700 windows. I now have talked with another installer that can install Softlite, Sunrise, Ply Gem.

Window widths are 40-44 inches, so they are pretty wide. These are all double hungs. Looking at these now over the Great Lakes/Provia:

Softlite Pro (metal reinforcement, super spacer)
Softlite Imperial LS (fiberglass reinforcement, super spacer)
Base Sunrise (with added reinforcement option but only available on the keeper sash, XL-Edge spacer)

Pricing is like this per window: We will call the Softlite Pro my base price, Imperial LS is +$62, Sunrise is +$67.

Am I doing good by looking at these over the Great Lakes and Provia options? And would it be better to step up to the Imperial LS or the Sunrise over the Softlite Pro for the additional $?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Softlite and Sunrise options

#2 Post by masterext »

Go with Soft Lite Imperial with the fiberglass/ kevlar reinforcement. That is the best value.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

I agree with Soft-lite's Imperial LS being the best of the bunch, and worth the price delta. The Sunrise is over priced in comparison.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+2 on both masterext and randy's feedback.

Best of that bunch.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

I like the Soft-Lite Imperial LS for a DH unit at that sizing regarding width. That window has tight manufacturing tolerances and lots of weatherstripping on it's sashes. You will need to keep the windows locked when not in operation to ensure proper seating of the sashes and weatherstripping for proper lock to keeper alignment.

qcvinyl

#6 Post by qcvinyl »

After some research it looks like the Imperial LS uses the Intercept spacer as default? Is that correct? Super Spacer is better, right? That option probably wasn't on the quote, how much more could that add to a window?

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Standard glazing is Intercept. Some dealers have their default spacer set to upgraded stainless Intercept or Super Spacer. You would be fine with either of those. If you're getting grids, I'd go with stainless Intercept even though SL had their glass supplier upgrade the Super Spacer grid clip to reduce the potential chance of the grids moving during the manufacturing or shipping process.

I'd ask your dealer if he is offering regular tin plated standard Intercept or an upgrade. Charge could be anywhere between $15 to $30 per window.

qcvinyl

#8 Post by qcvinyl »

Delaware Mike wrote:Standard glazing is Intercept. Some dealers have their default spacer set to upgraded stainless Intercept or Super Spacer. You would be fine with either of those. If you're getting grids, I'd go with stainless Intercept even though SL had their glass supplier upgrade the Super Spacer grid clip to reduce the potential chance of the grids moving during the manufacturing or shipping process.

I'd ask your dealer if he is offering regular tin plated standard Intercept or an upgrade. Charge could be anywhere between $15 to $30 per window.
No grids, so Super Spacer would be better for me?

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

I like it better. Doesn't really make more of a performance upgrade over stainless Intercept option unless you're splitting frog hairs. I wouldn't pay more than $20 per window for it.

qcvinyl

#10 Post by qcvinyl »

Delaware Mike wrote:I like it better. Doesn't really make more of a performance upgrade over stainless Intercept option unless you're splitting frog hairs. I wouldn't pay more than $20 per window for it.
Mainly looking at the spacer in terms of seal failure and not performance.

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've not had any problems with Super Spacer regarding seal failure. Regular Intercept seems to be my main culprit. Makes sense to have your SL dealer quote it then. If he doesn't come in a fair price I wouldn't worry too much as the glass is warranted for life if seal failure occurs.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

No issues with seal failure in the super spacer that I know of that are above and beyond normal failure rates.

Biggest issues that I have heard of were grid alignment and tear out. The foam isn't super sturdy so that is the biggest issue plaguing it.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#13 Post by masterext »

Most seal failure issues I've encountered were usually with intercept. Keep in mind, most intercept spacers are only a " tin plated alloy", NOT stainless steel . Intercept does offer a stainless version but it must be requested. That said, when it comes to a true stainless steel spacer you would want to use Cardinal Glass opposed to ppg in my opinion.
Supposedly Edge Tech have now incorporated some sort of new feature that now ebables proper grid allignment with super spacer.

toddinmn

#14 Post by toddinmn »

Windows on Washington wrote:No issues with seal failure in the super spacer that I know of that are above and beyond normal failure rates.

Biggest issues that I have heard of were grid alignment and tear out. The foam isn't super sturdy so that is the biggest issue plaguing it.
What is "normal' failure rate? I see failure rates listed as low as 0.2% from Cardinal over 20 years and many exceeding 10%.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote:No issues with seal failure in the super spacer that I know of that are above and beyond normal failure rates.

What is "normal' failure rate? I see failure rates listed as low as 0.2% from Cardinal over 20 years and many exceeding 10%.
We are disappointed by your obsession with seal failures.