Patio Door - Soft-Lite or Sunrise

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
qcvinyl

Patio Door - Soft-Lite or Sunrise

#1 Post by qcvinyl »

So, it looks like I have figured out to go with the Soft-Lite Imperial LS windows. That said, would you recommend the Soft-Lite Kingsroyal patio door or the Sunrise patio door?

Concern #1 - Soft-Lite has steel reinforcements (which I was trying to keep away from in the windows - main reason for moving to the Imperial LS windows to get the fiberglass reinforcement). Sunrise has fiberglass reinforcement.

Concern #2 - Soft-Lite looks like stainless Intercept with Super Spacer option. Is the Super Spacer better against seal failure in the patio door like the windows? Sunrise has a MaxEdge spacer (XL-Edge).

Concern #3 - If I go with the Sunrise door, will it match up well enough (cherry woodgrain on windows and door)?

Appreciate it.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Patio Door - Soft-Lite or Sunrise

#2 Post by masterext »

The soft lite patio door is called "kings royal" and its a very good door which does come with super spacer and operates very smoothly. Soft lite did ininitially offer their door with a non metal reinforcement but since switched to steel. I remember being told that composite/ fiberglass wasnt too effective in a patio door; the reason escapes me at the moment.
The conduction issue in a door is different, the steel is much further from the glass than a window and the steel is much more insulated at that point. Steel reinforcement is fine in a door, i just dislike it in a window.
Fwiw, sunrise make a nice door as well.
Last edited by masterext on Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

We do both doors, however I've installed a lot more of the Sunrise patio slider than the SL Kings Royal. Mix and match isn't an issue as if you're going with the cherry interior laminate both are almost if not identical.

The Sunrise door will have a nicer handleset, and a fiberglass sloped sill along with multipoint lock design standard along with being a more elegant in general appearance. The SL door will keep the warranty under one family as the windows and comes pretty much pre-assembled and might be a little more air tight with it's traditional vinyl/aluminum pocket sill.

SL was having all kinds of expansion/contraction problems with their initial non-metal extrusion "rice" based composite reinforcement, thus after giving that technology it's fair chance went back to the old stand by in the form of metal like they had used for years

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Im pretty sure the soft lite patio door does come with a sloped sill and has an aluminum threshold. They also utilize Triple Fin weather stripping with an anti microbeal by Ultra Fab. This makes the door very air tight.
What Mike said about their composite rail is correct, thats what i was told as well. Both soft lite and sunrise are solid doors.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

The SL Kings Royal has a sloped vinyl sill just like Paul mentioned. Had to dig out my sample kit as it's been 4-years since I've installed one. Both doors are top notch so you most likely will love either one of them. Go with the better deal.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

The Softlite door still channels some water through the frame and weep system, not necessarily a true sloped sill. That said, I don't find the sloped vs pocket sill to be as important on a sliding door as opposed to a double hung window. As stated above, either of these doors would serve you well. The Sunrise door has a higher end look and feel IMO, but I'd give some weight to sticking with the same company as you source your windows from for the sake of simplicity.

patgilm

#7 Post by patgilm »

Qcvinyl,

Which slider did you go with? I am in the same situation, I just ordered the Softlite Imperial LS windows and now I am thinking of replacing our back slider. I haven't priced them out yet but I will be looking at the Kingsroyal and the Sunrise. I haven't see either in person so I will have to check them out in person but I may take the advice above to get the Softlite slider since I will have their windows and will be under the same warranty.