Nail flange or not

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
MartyFreeman

Nail flange or not

#1 Post by MartyFreeman »

Hi, guys. I've been stealth reading the forums for a couple of weeks and appreciate the straight answers you give. So I decided to sohn up and get above from the experts.

I've been researching (much of it here) and think I've settled on the Okna 800 deluxe model. A guy I know who does windows will install them for me (he installs a competing brand mostly, but said he could source these for me and install.

My question is: do I want the snap on nail flange new construction install? Or would I be better off without it? What's the difference?

I'm looking to replace some aluminium single hung windows, only a bottom sill, sheet rock or plaster cutout the rest of the way around. the aluminum windows are significantly thinner that the 800s.,and he said it looks like with the flange the windows wouldn't come inside as far,so I wouldn't lose as much sill.

Is the snap on flange worthwhile or is it weak or chintzy? If a flange is worthwhile, would it be better to go with a welded on flange model, like the 500? (I do much prefer the look /feel of the 800).

I'm just so confused now. Thanks for any wisdom you can offer. Have a wonderful evening.

Finally, any tips on researching a contractor? I tried Angie's List and wasny blown away

TheWindowNerd

Re: Nail flange or not

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you have a good friend who is an installer and will do them for you why the request for installer.
I have thought about your question as if it were my house and I would only do the snap on fin if I was doing new construction. Other wise I would use the window with out the flange since I know I can do a leak free install.
On todays install schedule some 70 casements and some 800 DH. Tomorrow some 800 DH.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

The flange is not flimsy as long as it is installed correctly.

The presence or absence of a flange should not have anything to do with the width of the windows on the jamb sides. That is a result of what my exterior is and how I choose to install the unit.

MartyFreeman

#4 Post by MartyFreeman »

Hi, thanks guys. My friend recommended the flange, but said it would require more work as far as removing siding, etc...He said he could do it either way, it was up to me. I'm just wondering if it's worth it since it's not integral, but is an add on. He said it's the way he'd do it on his own home. I just wanted to see what experts in the field thought.

I was talking about depth of the window. From what i understood of what he was telling me, with the flange the window sits more to the outside of the house, without it would sit further inside the opening, and leave less sill. Maybe I misunderstood him, I'll be sure to ask him again.

I was asking about vetting contractors because I've got some other work I am considering (some floor work and bathroom work). I signed up for that Angie's list, and found it doesn't seem to have much info or be very useful. It's also entirely possible I'm not using it to its fullest. It sounded very useful in the commercials.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

A nail fin will offer more levels of protection when utilized properly, however it is not necessary for a leak proof install. As you mentioned, skipping it does give the flexibility of moving the frame depth-wise to the location that you prefer.
Personally, I'd prefer the nail fin.

MartyFreeman

#6 Post by MartyFreeman »

Thanks for the replies. You answered my concerns about the durability. I shouldn't have questioned his advice. I hope he doesn't read this forum.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

We do the 800dx with the field applied nail flange a couple times a year as new construction. It does give the homeowner more of a window pocket as the offset to the back of the nailing flange projects the window slightly more off the face of the exterior of the sheathing. I love it as along with nice jamb extensions it allows for plenty of room for modern blinds to mount within the jambs.

We take our time cutting and applying the nailing flanges along with following the manufacturer's directions regarding proper silicone/flange sealant application. I'm going to be changing out the 2003 vinyl windows in my own house soon and the 800dx with the flange is my top choice right now for vinyl.