Large 3 lite slider replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tonestert

Large 3 lite slider replacement

#1 Post by tonestert »

I'm replacing all the windows (19) in my house and I'm trying to decide between Okna 500 and Sunrise standard and the prices are very close to each other.
Anyway I'm leaning towards the Okna but I have a converted carport (what I call a music room) that has 3 large 3 light slides that are close to 120" wide. The Sunrise salesman said he has a 3 lite slider that will work but the Okna salesman said he does not.
Here's what the Okna salesman is said:
The maximum width that Okna will make a 3 section slide is 108”. The openings in the music room are about 120”. I quoted two 2 section horizontal sliding windows for each of the 3 openings (6 windows total). With heat and air conditioning being a primary issue in that space, I quoted these as 400 Deluxe (Low E glass and foam filled frames) series.
Here's a drawing he did along with his idea:
Attached is a quick picture of the change I’m proposing for the music room (sorry it is so rough, I literally had to cut and paste a couple of pictures together to get it to look right). The picture of the 3 section window is similar to what you currently have (one big window made of a fixed panel in the middle and sliding panels on each end). Because Okna won’t make a 3 section slider as big as we need to fit the openings, my idea is to replace the 3 section slider with 2 windows.

What do you guys think of this option ? I'm wondering how will he frame the two windows together and will that be an issue down the road ?
music.png
(231.16 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

Windows on Washington

Re: Large 3 lite slider replacement

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Window will probably be zero mulled together and that is quite common. No issue with that option.

tonestert

#3 Post by tonestert »

Windows on Washington wrote:Window will probably be zero mulled together and that is quite common. No issue with that option.
Thanks for the info ! I guess it comes down to whether I'd rather have a one 3 lite slider or two 2 lite sliders. I think I like the look of the 3-lite but I'm thinking I'd rather go with Okna and the contractor that is using the Okna.

FYI: I wanted to get your company Windows on Washington to come out and give me an estimate as I've read great reviews for your company but I was told I live just a little too far from your area :( I live in Ruckersville, Va.
The Window Man from Fairfax came out and gave me a quote

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you hit "Get a Quote" button it will determine if WOW will come.

The dealer sheet may show they will not make it, a special request from a dealer directly to the factory may get approval for the 3 lite slider. I also like the 3 lite slider.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

The 800 series will go up to 113", but I know that is still short. Okna has cut-back on making sliders over max spec recently... The Sunrise product is good, but the okna will be a bit more stout, especially on such a big opening. I think that you are on the right track. You could also consider something like a dh/pw/dh for a more traditional look than the twin sl's, although it will be more money.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I wonder if they will exceed limits for some dealers but not others based on a history of quality.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

tonestert wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote:Window will probably be zero mulled together and that is quite common. No issue with that option.
Thanks for the info ! I guess it comes down to whether I'd rather have a one 3 lite slider or two 2 lite sliders. I think I like the look of the 3-lite but I'm thinking I'd rather go with Okna and the contractor that is using the Okna.

FYI: I wanted to get your company Windows on Washington to come out and give me an estimate as I've read great reviews for your company but I was told I live just a little too far from your area :( I live in Ruckersville, Va.
The Window Man from Fairfax came out and gave me a quote
You are definitely a bit out there as our normal coverage area goes out but if you would still have us, I will send my rep that liven in Warrenton.

Its less of a commute (50 miles) for him. I will slide him some gas money. :D

If you call the office, be sure to as for Eric and I will make sure it gets taken care of.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

TheWindowNerd wrote:I wonder if they will exceed limits for some dealers but not others based on a history of quality.
I've had many done in the past with zero warranty claims... I was recently told by Heather that this is a new policy. When is the last time that you tried to get one larger on width?

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

My point is an abstract statement that better installs can handle tougher project specifications.
Put another way sloppy installs with small or normal windows would not breed confidence in providing a stretch in mfg guidelines. Again this is just a thought and not actually known to me if they, mfg, consider install quality. Most all the guys who post on here, the pros, do top notch work and care tremendously about the quality of there work.

To the OP: if you like the 3 lite design, even though this will cost more money have you thought about casement-picture window-casement?