Do Manufacturer's Vet Installers/Dealers?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
argulator

Do Manufacturer's Vet Installers/Dealers?

#1 Post by argulator »

Greetings all, just registered as I'm starting to look at replacing my house's windows. I've lurked around for a couple of days, but it looks like buying windows is something that can make your head explode-and won't be enjoyable. I'm in Oklahoma City, so it looks like I can't get Okna or some of the other often mentioned better vinyl brands. I see dealers for Sunrise, VClass, and Restorations, but none of them have any kind of BBB or Angie's list feedback. Do the manufacturers have any minimum standards for installers, or just agreement to sell?

In addition to vinyl, I'll also look at thermal-broke aluminum, I assume it's appropriate for hot-hot-hot summers. Also the specialty of the largest of the local manufacturer/installers. I'll look at it, Don Young, the Sunrise Offerings and maybe NT. Anything else in my area I need to consider?

Thanks. Ralph

randy

Re: Do Manufacturer's Vet Installers/Dealers?

#2 Post by randy »

Manufacturers typically look at the financial security, experience, reputation (BBB, Angie's List, etc.....) before setting up a dealer as well as going through the nuances of installing their windows.

Sunrise should be available in OKC. Don Young's thermally-broken aluminum is a great product, but you're a little too far north for me to recommend it. You get some cold winters and a fair amount of ice and snow, so you're going to likely end up with more condensation on the interior of the windows than you'd like.

Don Young's 5200 series vinyl window with extra aluminum reinforcement (TDI package) would give you great strength and rigidity, if you're willing to pay for the upgrade. NT's Energy Master or Presidential series would be two other good choices for mid-grade windows.
Last edited by randy on Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to randy's earlier feedback.

If a product manufacturer makes a nice product and wants it represented in the marketplace honorably, they vet the contractor/dealer.

argulator

#4 Post by argulator »

Guys-thanks for the feedback. I'm sure I'll be back with questions.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

+1 to the other pros remarks.
From my own experience, my company was checked out extensively by Sunrise, Softlite, Okna and years and years back by Schuco. My experience is that the better brands are the ones who do the thorough vetting though any window company will make sure you are financially stable before giving you a line of credit. Companies selling lower grade windows seem to just want volume by anyone who will sell them from what I've seen.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above... Only thing I can add is that it all goes out the window when windows are purchased through distribution. A window dealer needs to be established and financially secure to set up a direct purchasing arrangement with most manufacturers. Anyone with a pulse can buy COD from a supply house, so that is one way to sort those guys out.

argulator

#7 Post by argulator »

Another question for the experts-Any general guidance on what my minimum (or maximum) needs are in terms of glass/coatings, etc. for Oklahoma climate? Double/Triple panes, coatings, etc. Any place I can learn more about what the trade-offs/considerations are? I didn't find it in the "Learning Center" here.

All of the windows are on the north or south sides of the house, with the south side rooms being noticeably warmer, both summer and winter, than other parts of the house. ........Thanks.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where in OK?

argulator

#9 Post by argulator »

Right in the middle-Oklahoma city

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are 2:1 heating to cooling according to the climate map.

If that is true, triple pane isn't a bad idea in your case.