Need Help with SoCal Window Choices

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
socalsun

Need Help with SoCal Window Choices

#1 Post by socalsun »

I live in the San Fernando Valley area of LA -- it's a desert climate and gets VERY HOT and SUNNY. Our temps reach 110 in the summer, so windows and vinyl that can handle that heat are necessary. (I didn't consider anything other than vinyl. Is there another type window I should look at?) I'm replacing about a dozen windows, some originally wood and some aluminum.

I'm mostly considering three windows: the Milgard Tuscany, the Simonton Daylight Max, and the Amerimax Craftsman. The installed price of all three is quite close. Since every salesperson knocks everyone else's product, I'm uncertain about all of them. Is there another brand I should consider?

What do you folks think of these three windows in this climate? Given they're all the same price, which would you recommend? Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by socalsun on Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Need Help with SoCal Window Choices

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am not supremely familiar with the West Coast offerings these days but the Amerimax product seems to be very well liked by the folks that get it.

All three windows are from solid manufacturers.

socalsun

#3 Post by socalsun »

Amerimax doesn't seem to have many dealers who service my area. There seems to be only the one vendor, which concerns me a bit.

Simonton has two dealers who service my area, plus Home Depot who I don't want to work with. One dealer came out but there was something about him I didn't trust. Maybe it was that I called him about Simonton but he tried to sell me a distinctly lesser window.

Milgard has dealers/installers all over the area plus a manufacturing plant maybe a half-hour drive. Out here, they're the best known brand. That makes me think they may carry more value if/when we sell the home.

socalsun

#4 Post by socalsun »

I have all my quotes back, all are from well-reviewed dealers/installers. The Simonton Daylight Max are the same price as the Milgard Tuscany. About 5% more are the Amerimax windows, which seem to have a few extra features. (That 5% means on a $5,000 job the Amerimax cost an extra $250, which isn't significant enough to make the decision.)

All the windows are low E3 with Argon. They seem to have very similar thermal properties. The Amerimax sliders have brass roller system, while the other two use nylon/plastic.

I have no idea how good any of the companies are about honoring their warranties. I have no idea if the choice of brand matters if/when we sell our house. Any of these brands help or hurt resale value?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Amerimax window sounds superior to me and based on what little I do know about it, probably worth the $250 premium.