Current Choices

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Dittzy

Current Choices

#1 Post by Dittzy »

I need help these are my current estimates. I value all opinions and experience with any of these.

Polaris Thermaweld: $6K for 10 dblhung white on white with low E, argon and contour grids in top sash, 3 single mulled dark oak on white deadlites with low E and argon, 1 dblhung dark oak on white with low E, argon, and wood grids top sash, and 1 awning with low E and argon.

New River 5300(supposedly Vista for House Dr.): $5750 same except 3 oriels 60/40 not single mulled deadlites, and minus two white on white dblhung

Joyce:Heritage with wood grain on three windows and easy tilt option: $11K but two of the dblhungs are replaced with the Insulator in the garage without low E. The same bid is $9985 with no wood grain interiors.

ThermaSeal(supposedly AMI for WeatherSeal): $10,500 with wood grain and the single mulled are replaced with one long window

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I thought I was getting a SoftLite estimate when the saleman arrived he said he could get anything but this is what they sell. I am having one more estimate on Monday to hopefully get my SoftLite estimate. I appreciate any and all advice.

Windows on Washington

Re: Current Choices

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Of that line up, I like the ThermalWeld so far.

Have them quote you the UltraWeld as and upgrade for comparison.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

The Joyce " Heritage" is a pretty solid offering as well. It comes with cardinals stainless spacer as well as composite reinforcement , a magnetic seal, and a foam filled frame and sash.

Dittzy

#4 Post by Dittzy »

Thank-you for the advice I greatly appreciate it. These are the two I was leaning toward. Supposedly it will only be $75.00 more per window for the utlraweld and since his contract has dark oak interior which is only offered with the ultraweld I am assumming he is already quoting 5 of the windows as ultrawelds not thermawelds but I have a call into him to verify this. Also the Polaris brochure states that the windows which qualified for most energy efficient utilized the ultimate plus window package. It states to ask your rep for details. I don't know if low E and argon are what the package consists of and if I am going to achieve the performance I desire.

If money were no option, I may look into the Joyce Heritage more. It's a solid aesthetically pleasing window but I can't justify paying almost double for it. In the end if the contractor lives up to his word, I would be paying $6250.00 for all unltawelds and $11K for 13 Heritage and 2 Insulators? And on top of that, this house is not new or in a prime location and both of my parents are over 75. I am changing the windows because they keep their house at 80 degrees or above and my mother has insulation stuck anywhere she can find to try to keep the air out. There will not be a return on this investment except to reduce utility bills. Should I really invest $11K just in windows? Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

I still like the UltraWeld here.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

The UW and TW are COMPLETELY different windows, with extrusions from different companies. Barely even related IMO. The TW is a mid grade choice, no better, no worse. The UW while somewhat bulky, is a performer. I'd definitely go that direction.

Dittzy

#7 Post by Dittzy »

After speaking with the contractor today this is what he is offering. There will end up being 18 ultraweld windows. All will have low E and argon. 8 will be wood grain interiors and ten will be white on white for $6800. Is this a reasonable price?

Thanks for all of your advice

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

That averages $377 per window. Is this installed or windows only? If installed, it is really not reasonable, in that anyone selling a Polaris Ultraweld for that price will not be in business for much longer. Is this a reputable company with an office, staff, insurances, certifications and licenses, etc?

Dittzy

#9 Post by Dittzy »

It is a small company which has been with the BBB since 1996 and has no complaints within the last three years. He does have an answering service and I have already seen is new registered state license. He says he will not be making much by the time he pays his crew because he will have over 5k in the windows alone. He is a very nice person which has been doing this supposedly for over 21 years and seemed more knowledgeable than the others. He figured out a way to replicate the large living room window which no one else even attempted except to install upside-down oriels. So besides seeing his insurance and bonding, I have seen his state registration and text and phone numbers from previous customers, what else should I do prior to giving him the $800.00 deposit? He has one crew that he uses for all of his jobs so it is like working with an independent contractor? How can I verify the windows are acctually Polaris Ultrawelds when they are delivered prior to installing?

Once again I appreciate all of your help