Replacing my bay window, sliding door, in Baltimore

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
SB079

Replacing my bay window, sliding door, in Baltimore

#1 Post by SB079 »

So I have had a few contractors come out and this is the issue I’ve run into. Well, let me explain the job first, maybe someone on here can give me a little more insight. Somewhere water has leaked into the wall that the Bay window sits, at first I thought the window was leaking because the Window itself has fogged up inside, but it now seems that the water could be coming in from anywhere. So the job I need done is replace the Bay Window, replace the drywall where the Bay window sits, figure out where the water got in from and fix it, replace my sliding glass patio door, and replace a large slider window. First guy that came out I really liked, quoted me Vytex fortis series at a reasonable quote, he seemed honest and trustworthy, his company has great reviews, the problem, he doesn’t do drywall, so I would have to hire a separate contractor to do the drywall and find out where the water is coming from. Second guy seemed to really know what he was talking about, can do all the work, but quoted me a lower quality window, and came in $1580 higher, so that would value the drywall work at $1580 assuming the windows/doors were of the same value, which at least the quality I know they are not. So my question is do I continue to get quotes from companies that do both the windows and drywall or try to find a general contractor to fix the drywall, find where the water is coming in, and go with the first window contractor who I really liked? Is it common that companies that do both drywall/general repairs and windows/doors use cheaper windows and companies that deal strictly with windows/doors use better quality? Any help is appreciated, also if you are a contractor who can do the whole job and work in the Baltimore area please feel free to send me your info.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacing my bay window, sliding door, in Baltimore

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Any chance you can post up a picture of the install location?

Some drywall repairs can be handled by some window installers but that is a mixed bag to be certain. I have seen some that will make you cringe and we use one crew, specifically, if we have a drywall repair to be completed. My other crews are TERRIBLE at drywall :shock: