bay window question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sdvinyl

bay window question

#1 Post by sdvinyl »

Hey all,

I have 3 windows in my livingroom. All together. 1 large in the middle (does not open). With two double hungs on the sides. I will provide a picture later if needed.

I wanted to replace it with an OKNA bay window. I spoke to a contractor and he said he would not recommend it as I don't have enough space for a roof for the bay window. He also said my roof doesnt extend over the side of the house so a window roof is needed. So first question is, how much space do I need for a roof on an OKNA bay window. I live in the burbs of NYC, so snow is a concern.

Secondly, if I don't go with a bay window and just go with new windows (not replacement, I want new construction), the contractor said I could replace the two double hungs and reuse the middle window as it would be quite expensive to replace. He said because of the size and the fact that its double glass that it could be about $1500 for a new one. This window doesn't open. Its looks like just two large pieces of glass with about 3/4" space in between.
So my questions are:
1. If I do replace this big window, which window should I get (which okna model?) and would it be much better at keeping the cold out? I'm thinking my current window is good at keeping cold air out since it has double thick glass with a large space in between. But it is old so maybe i am wrong.
2. If I keep the current big window, will it look right in between two new okna windows? This window is probably from the 70s and the inside borders are metallic with several screws. I should of asked the crontactor this question. But I'm hoping its common practice to keep such a window and it can be reused without looking outdated?

Thanks,

Windows on Washington

Re: bay window question

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You don't really need any space for a roof as a field fabricated roof kit (what he/she was referencing) can be made onsite. Not sure if they were referring to clearance from an overhang though.

Can you post up a picture?

Pictures will help with your 2nd questions as well.

If they can leave the center picture intact, that is one option. If the window is currently double pane, but with clear glass, the insulation of that isn't terrible. It isn't great as compared to an insulated and Low-e equip window, but it isn't that bad either. If you are worried about temperatures, I would look into triple pane with Low-e and that will give you even better performance across that large square footage.

I would look at the EnviroStar for that large window given the extra thickness and stability of the frame.

If you cap the middle window, it won't look bad but it will still look a bit older next to the two newer windows and the tint on the glass will be different as well. Definitely noticeable to the naked eye.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Sometimes there is very little room between the top of the bay and the roof. That gap between the top of the window and the roof is where a roof over hang would be constructed. If there is little to no room, i can see where your contractor is coming from.
Some homes just arent meant to accommodate a bay window.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If it is going to have a fiberglass/asphalt shingled roof you need a minimum of 3' rise for every 12" of run.
If the window projects out 24", you need a minimum of 6" up. More is beter.
If there are no barriers I normally go up whatever it comes out. Thus 24" projection = 24" up.

sdvinyl

#5 Post by sdvinyl »

thanks. I forgot to take a picture but I got one from google maps. Hope the quality isnt too terrible.
I don't have an overhang. I'll have to measure how much space I have but I'm guessing its around 2-3 feet. How much do Okna bay windows protrude out?

http://imgur.com/1dOjr2d

sdvinyl

#6 Post by sdvinyl »

I shouldnt be allowed to guess measurements... I finally measured it and its only 10 inches from top of window to gutters. I guess bay window is out.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

I would replace center window if going with framed units.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Doesn't look like a good candidate for a bay to be honest and Todd is right in that I would replace all of the units at the same time.

sdvinyl

#9 Post by sdvinyl »

Thanks all for the responses.

Since the bay window is out, I started looking at my options. The window opening is about 113" wide by 51" high.

Contractor mentioned that i could either get three windows (2 double hung and 1 fixed) or get 1 large window with all three windows preattached. My neighbor has the 1 large window where its two casement windows on the sides and one fixed window in the middle. I want to compare the pricing of getting 1 window vs putting 3 windows together to make 1 window. So I want to know if OKNA had this option. Either with the two double hungs on the side or the 2 casements on the side. What is it called? Is it still the 500 series? If not, whats the next best window brand I can get?

Also, what is the OKNA window model for the fixed window in the middle?

Thanks,

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

All manufacturers have that option.

What model the center picture window will be is dictated by what the flanking windows are specified as.

If the flankers will be casements (in the case of Okna that is a 700 series), the center would be a casement picture.

If the flankers are double hungs, the center picture would be the complimentary picture window in that same series.

sdvinyl

#11 Post by sdvinyl »

Windows on Washington wrote:All manufacturers have that option.

What model the center picture window will be is dictated by what the flanking windows are specified as.

If the flankers will be casements (in the case of Okna that is a 700 series), the center would be a casement picture.

If the flankers are double hungs, the center picture would be the complimentary picture window in that same series.
Great that makes more sense in my mind.

1. If I have all 500 series windows and now I chose a 700 series window, will it look out of place? I do want it to stand out since it is the biggest window, but I don't wanted it to look bad.

2. I have been getting 500 series with nailing fins for all the windows so far. Does this window require nailing fins as well? There is block (veneer?) on this wall, so I don't know if the fins would be used. Are the fins easy to break off if not needed, so that they are safe to order no matter what?

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

1. No. Pretty normal for casements to have a different profile to them.

2. No. Can be installed without fins and the exterior is block, it wouldn't work in most cases.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

+1... Double hungs and casements will look different, however nothing beyond that difference in configuration.
It is not uncommon for a home full of double hungs to have a "feature" window that has casements.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Based on the photo.
You can use fins or no fins on the big window.
If the installer/salesman is any good they can probably ek out 2" more jamb depth because of the brick.
You can do a bay there also with a pent roof.
40* bay ~ 23" projection, assumes 1/4 1/2 1/4 configuration.
30# bay ~ 15" projection, same 1/4 1/2 1/4
You have enough height to get the minimum slope for a shingled roof.
As an extra step you can remove the gutter base flash behind the gutter and counter flash from the existing roof then reapply gutter.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

He's not doing the bay at this point if I am not mistaken.