exterior doors and storm doors

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
TheWindowNerd

Re: exterior doors and storm doors

#16 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Frame Saver is what TT calls the rot proof jamb.
Not all fabricators of TT use Frame Saver, they may use their own version.
If you are doing stained and have an overhang you might choose solid mahogany jamb.

sdvinyl

#17 Post by sdvinyl »

Hey all,
I now need to make a decision on front entry door. I got a quote for provia and it is too expensive. A 36" steel door for about $2k (just door uninstalled). So my 2 options were home depot door or provia and they are both out. Is there a middle ground? Or are the other options not worth it and may as well go with home depot?

I want a door that is worth the price. I feel home depot is worth the price. But I want better quality. So I would expect an increase in quality with price. Know what I mean?

Windows on Washington

#18 Post by Windows on Washington »

I have seen more than my fair share of HD doors and they look like warmed over you know what in just a few years.

That number you were quoted isn't out of line with what you might expect to pay for a good door.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#19 Post by masterext »

Do not buy a home depot or lowes door unless you want something that looks cheap and doesnt last. The price you were quoted is not out of line.

sdvinyl

#20 Post by sdvinyl »

i dont want either extreme. Is there no middle ground? I don't think the provia quote was out of line, I just don't feel like that door is worth that much. I also don't want my door to be nicer than the rest of the home.

BTW I liked the provia 419 signet class door with st jane glass.

Delaware Mike

#21 Post by Delaware Mike »

Just like with most vinyl windows, many door manufacturers are regional or only distribute to certain parts of the county. HMI and HomeGuard make really nice doors and are a less than that of what I see most ProVia guys are charging. I don't like what I've seen from Paragon.

There are a bunch of outfits that take ThermaTru door slabs and finish them off as finished units with tons of options. I cringe when I have to quote a St. Jane for my homeowners. It's never pretty as that glass is at the top of the food chain when it comes to beauty.

We just finished a fiberglass Heritage 400 "fan-lite" series with Solitaire glass pre-finished in cherry couple with (2) off the shelf Jeld Wen fiberglass 1/2-lite units for the garage. Huge difference is quality. Homeowner was happy with them but stated he wished that he could have afforded to be able to do the ProVia products on those two openings after seeing and operating his front door. The Jeld Wen doors are utilizing better glass and PVC trim kits than in past years. The frame is still stapled together and the security plate for the deadbolt is a joke.

TheWindowNerd

#22 Post by TheWindowNerd »

As mentioned Therma Tru can be a great unit.
What you want is a good fabricator. Some larger independent lumber yards are fabricating TT units to maintain QC. Over the decades I have had a lot of complaints about QC of the large mill work, Reeb, that typically serves my area.
You will want Frame Saver, adjustable threshold, adjustable strike for the knob, ball bearing hinges. The rest is up to you.

fridge2020

#23 Post by fridge2020 »

$2k is not an extreme. That is a middle of the road price on a single entry door AT WORST, that is good quality. I've seen guys sell Provia and the like up in the range of $10k for a single unit, THAT would be extreme. That door probably costs well over $1k at wholesale cost, then add installation, incidental materials, overhead and profit and $2k is definitely not extreme. Some of the more decorative doors will exceed that cost in door alone.
Thermatru is okay, can be hit or miss. I would not put them in the top tier. Anything off the shelf at a box store will be an extremely steamy pantload.

sdvinyl

#24 Post by sdvinyl »

$2k+ was the price just for the door. Anyhow I went with therma tru with the options mentioned by the windownerd. Thanks for that! Door+ larson storm door came out less than half of provia door. I'm sure provia doors are worth it and I'll consider them at my next home. Like i said, didn't want a door that is better than the rest of the house lol

Guy

#25 Post by Guy »

The upper end doors are built with a bit more pride and patience. I've installed almost everything out there. I have had issues with all of them. I look over every door I install and add extra screws in the frame to lock it down tight. I do like the Therma-Tru frames and their anti wicking piece. The better products are easier to install because they aren't racked or separating in a corner. You definetly want an adjustable sill and security plate at the strike holes. When it comes to storm doors I'll take the Larson. The Larson door is made by Pella in the same building. It's just made on the other side. The Larson is very user friendly and it's quick to install. Just make sure your new entry door can have a storm door applied. Some of the upper end doors warranty will be voided if you install one. Also beware of doors facing South. If you have a dark colored steel door the heat can build up enough to third degree burn a child's hand on the steel primary door. Be careful, and Good Luck!!!

TheWindowNerd

#26 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Guy,
Larson makes the doors for Pella.
Pella had bought Cole/Sewell, they could not figure out how to make money with SD.

Guy

#27 Post by Guy »

Look into it a bit more. I was brought down to the plant by Pella to find some manufacturing errors and help the engineers with the development of the easy installation application. Pella paid for my trip and told me they acquired Larson & Cole Sewall. If Pella doesn't run the show there they surely fooled me.