Okna Sun Seal glass

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tonestert

Okna Sun Seal glass

#1 Post by tonestert »

I've decided to go with Okna 500DX windows for my house and I'm trying to decide whether I should go for Sun seal glass on the front windows of my house. The front of my house faces west and I get a lot of sun through the windows in the afternoon. Right now I have to close my curtains in the afternoon (single pane glass) as I get a lot of afternoon heating. The salesman suggested the Sun seal glass on the front windows but I'm worried that it will be like wearing sunglasses when looking out the window. The VT rating without the sun seal glass is .55 and drops to .42 with the sun seal. That seems like a lot. The SHGC goes from .30 to .21 so that that seems like that would really help with the afternoon heating.
Would going with triple pane in the front be a good compromise between the two ? I want to be able to keep my curtains open in the afternoon and let the light in without the room heating up.
Thanks

Delaware Mike

Re: Okna Sun Seal glass

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'd do the Sunseal glazing option for those specific windows unless you're toying around with the idea of doing triple on everything.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Where are you located?
The standard low-e glass will cut down on that tremendously, while still allowing some passive solar gain in the winter months (IE: Free heat)... That's more applicable if you are in a colder climate. If more moderate where your AC is working more, then the sunseal may be the best bet in that area.

tonestert

#4 Post by tonestert »

HomeSealed wrote:Where are you located?
The standard low-e glass will cut down on that tremendously, while still allowing some passive solar gain in the winter months (IE: Free heat)... That's more applicable if you are in a colder climate. If more moderate where your AC is working more, then the sunseal may be the best bet in that area.
Thanks. I'm in central Va.
Yea I'm worried about loosing the heat gain in the winter but I figure that was the trade off for cutting out the heat in the summer.

I just got glass samples of the two. The sunseal is darker but not by a lot. Still a tough decision for me.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

No need to go with anything other than the standard double pane or triple pane in VA.

No need for more aggressive SHGC blocking options.

tonestert

#6 Post by tonestert »

Windows on Washington wrote:No need to go with anything other than the standard double pane or triple pane in VA.

No need for more aggressive SHGC blocking options.
Even if my windows face west and get a lot afternoon sun ?
Maybe the difference between .30 and .21 SHGC would not be that noticeable ?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

VA is a mixed climate and has more heating than cooling degree days.

If the room gets hot and you have trouble cooling it, opt for the triple pane and you will get the best of both worlds (i.e. better U-Factor and SHGC).

The 0.30 (Double pane w/out grids) is going to be more than 50% less than what is coming in now.