RBA regrets

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tommy

RBA regrets

#1 Post by tommy »

I wish I would have found this site 4 months ago instead of yesterday. We are currently battling a co. that installed 6 RBA DH windows in our home 6 weeks ago. All the negatives mentioned in this forum pertaining to RBA products is true in our case. The windows they installed were not the same window the salesman showed us. Their excuse is RBA changed the design! They look awful. The installing co. sent someone who spend 3 days trying to improve the fit. Well, they still leak air worse than the 22 year old single pane Frontier windows they replaced. The gap between the bottom sashes and side jambs varies from 1/8 to 1/4 inch. You can actually see the cord in several windows. The fit on these windows is as bad as the cheapest offerings of HD. The only things we like about them are the HPS glass and the wrap. Both the salesman and one of the managers admits the window is not the same window the salesman is using for a demo. I haven't signed any paperwork accepting the windows. In fact the vp of the company left a phone mssg stating we could reach some agreement. The only thing my wife and I are willing to agree to is having these windows removed. They want 9k for these windows. I can't put into words how sick we are to know this company and RBA is fleecing others with these products. This website has confirmed why we feel as we do. We obviously are in the market for windows, again! We have a total of 21 openings that we'd like to replace. Does anyone know reputable dealers and/or installers in the Denton area? We're willing to go vinyl if she likes the ext. color. Saw some Weathershields in a new home up the street and they appear to be a good window. Suggestions?

Window_Shopper

#2 Post by Window_Shopper »

If there are gaps between the sashes and side jambs that means the frames are being pulled close to the window opening/framing. Sounds like the windows weren't measured properly and are too small for the opening.

Did they take a look at that?

windowman pa

RBA aka Andersen

#3 Post by windowman pa »

you're right, everyone should find out how good rba is on own! RIGHT! :D
Last edited by windowman pa on Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Window_Shopper

#4 Post by Window_Shopper »

My Schuco dealer showed me that article when I told him I was looking at RBA.

Sounds like poor installation by a bad local contractor rather than RBA being a bad product. Plus, it's a 4-year old problem.

Not to take away from tommy's problems because I know they're real, but let's hear from this customer from 4 years ago to see if RBA fixed the problem. The latest update was from 2 years ago. A LOT can happen in 2 years!

Besides, RBA made changes to the design during the past 4 years.

You shouldn't post old information to cloud issues.

homeowner

#5 Post by homeowner »

i would hope a window company would do me right in the first 2 years. but if 4 years is a reasonable time to make a customer's new windows stop howling, then so be it.

randy

RBA

#6 Post by randy »

Yes it has been four years since the original installation, and two years since the last update, so I have contacted Jim and here is the reply he has sent me today.

"Randy,

Andersen did not stand behind their product in any way. They left us out in the cold ...or should I say, the cold in with us.
These windows are not made for a Wisconsin climate. They are worse than the windows we replaced.

Jim G"

I am curious about the design changes that have been made. Could you elaborate please?

FenEx

#7 Post by FenEx »

Randy

Professional as always... thanks. RBA's stats have not changed, only the presentation of them by salespeople. It is public record where Andersen's profits go... into buying out competitive products instead of improving and redeveloping their existing lines, this doesn't bother me. I don't lose sales to their products. It really comes down to the consumer to learn more about the industry and the products in it. Once they do proper research... it becomes an easy choice.

What some of the consumer posters here may not realize is that ANY contractor can sell Andersen. Ask yourselves why they would prefer other products. There are better products, better pricing and more value availbable to the consumers with other lines. I have never, and I mean never, lost a job to an Andersen product over those I recommend unless it is to a consumer that refuses to do the homework necessary to understand what makes a window perform and relies simply on name recognition. That's the advertising industry at it's best, but the home performance industry at it's worst.

tommy

#8 Post by tommy »

Window Shopper
Yes, I agree the windows were measured wrong. One can actually see how the side jambs are flared out of perpendicular to the window sash when looking from the interior. I was told these windows are within spec as to the gaps! What a crock. As to anyone selling RBA that is not true in the DFW metroplex. Statewide Remodeling is the only co. allowed to sell them. The VP told me today to either accept the windows at half price or I can go to arbitration. He tells me that even though the windows that were installed are not the same as the demo window they are the new "improved" product and I should be happy with them. I suppose Statewide's position is that a customer should accept a different product than ordered AND accept an inferior installation. When I told him I want the windows removed his response was "that's not going to happen". So, I left a message with Jaqueline(sp) who is supposed to take care of RBA customer issues at the corporate level. She hasn't called back yet. Perhaps these windows do perform better when measured and installed correctly. Most important for us though is that the aesthetics are much worse than the demo we were shown and the fit/finish is of considerable lesser quality than the demo. And this Texas RBA distributor thinks I should still pay 4600 bucks for that. Amazing!

Window_Shopper

Re: RBA

#9 Post by Window_Shopper »

randy wrote:I am curious about the design changes that have been made. Could you elaborate please?
I tried to look for the other posts on this site that I saw about recent changes but couldn't find them. The only ones that come to mind is a new Low-E 4 exterior coating that helps repel dirt, and a change-over from "traditional" welded corners that cracked to welded mortise and tenon framing.

Window_Shopper

Re: RBA aka Andersen

#10 Post by Window_Shopper »

windowman pa wrote:you're right, everyone should find out how good rba is on own! RIGHT! :D
This is the 2nd time that you posted this article on the board this week and then deleted it. Is it not a real article? Why do you keep posting and deleting :?: :?

Window_Shopper

#11 Post by Window_Shopper »

tommy wrote:Perhaps these windows do perform better when measured and installed correctly.
I'm not a carpenter or anything, but just had a thought. Could they sort of build up the window openings so they fit better? The outside would be covered with window wrapping and maybe the inside covered with new window caseings? Of course, all at their expense.

tommy

#12 Post by tommy »

Perhaps that would work. Statewide made it clear to me that they are done. I either accept the offer or they'll take it to arbitration. Even if it did work the current RBA design is not the same design the the salesman is using for a demo. A major part of our decision to buy the "demo" was based on acceptable aesthetics. We didn't get that same window. RBA corporate called today and the lady was quite peeved that Statewide Remodeling is using an old demo to sell windows. She said that the new design is well over a year old. She agrees that we shouldn't accept a window that we've never seen; especially since it doesn't match our home's classic style. Furthermore she doesn't understand how after 3 days of trying to "tweak" 6 windows how there could be performance and fit issues unless they are the wrong size. She said she would get back with us next week. Regardless of how this turns out I hope others who are considering buying RBA does thorough research and preferably sees some actual installations of this newer "design". I know if we had done that we would not have chosen RBA for our home. We foolishly trusted Statewide that what they showed us was what we would get.

randy

#13 Post by randy »

Tommy, first of all, don't give them any money. If you have to get legal with them, so be it. There is a very good chance that their contract with you is unenforceable. If you want to send me an e-mail, I can discuss this further with you.

As to finding a reputable window company in Denton, why not try getting a quote through this site.

randy@cehouston.com