Getting Ready to Get Some Quotes

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
argulator

Getting Ready to Get Some Quotes

#1 Post by argulator »

Looks like it's slow on the boards, so I'll ask some questions....Replacing original aluminum frames in Oklahoma City. Brick exterior and drywall returns inside. I have 17 openings/23 windows-mostly single hung oriel (1/3-2/3) per the following-

-Twin 70x58 (not oriel)
-Twin 58x81
-Twin 62x81
- 4 23x58 w/Quarter Circle Top (not oriel)
- 2 49x81 w/Half Circle Top
- 3 35x58 (not oriel)
- 2 42x81
- 1 31x81
- 1 Picture 36x15
- 1 Oval Picture 23x33

I plan on getting quotes for the Sunrise and hopefully Soft-Lite Lines as well as thermally broken aluminum. Softlite is working on getting a dealer in my area, and said he could get me the stuff. Questions-
- Will I be able to get Oriels in the vinyls to keep the look I have?
- Many of the windows are fully shaded under patio/porch, etc. Do I need to consider different SGHC based on location, etc? Are there cost differences associated with different types? Or, can I expect the highest price for whatever I need? :D
- I know the vinyls only come in double hung for the premiums, but is it really feasible to lean in a 81" tall DH for cleaning? :D
- Any considerations I need to think about based on window size, etc.? Any feedback appreciated.
- Is 18,000 reasonable budget for premium vinyls given sizes/shapes??
Thanks. Ralph

randy

Re: Getting Ready to Get Some Quotes

#2 Post by randy »

Yes, you'll be able to get oriels in all of the windows you mentioned, but it will be an additional charge (approximately $10.00 - $20.00) in both Soft-lite and Sunrise. Don Young does not charge extra for oriel configuration.

No it's not really feasible to order 81" tall windows as double hungs, as the top sash will be so heavy that you'll experience sash drift any time you open the bottom. The problem is that most manufacturers from the northeast build their premium windows as double hungs, and their lower-end offerings as single hungs. So, if you want a premium grade vinyl window you'll have to go with double hungs. There are ways for the manufacturer or the contractor to fix the top sash in place, effectively making the double hung into a single hung, and I would recommend it since windows that tall are surely on the first floor.

I'd stick with the same glass all the around the house. For Soft-lite it will be Solarban 70XL and for Sunrise it will be Cardinal 366.

As to the budget, I think your number is in the ballpark, but the oval and round tops could edge the numbers up a bit over your expectation. It's all going to depend on the contractor and his expenses.

argulator

#3 Post by argulator »

Thanks for the feedback

argulator

Energy Savings Calculators

#4 Post by argulator »

I've started getting quotes, which I'll discuss in a new thread, but in the interim, the Restorations salesman's "expectations" of energy savings of $21000 over the next 8 years motivated me to run the numbers for my house in the RESFEN tool.

I was surprised that relatively large variances in the performance measures-U-factor, SHGC and AI-resulted in pretty small differences in annual energy savings. By this I mean 10s of dollars/year rather than 100s of dollars/year. This held even after doubling my actual gas/electricity costs.

Do you all know of any other types of savings calculators similar to RESFEN that I can use to compare??
Thanks.
Ralph

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ralph,

RESFEN (and the building science industry at large) tend to downplay fuel savings via windows and doors. This is probably the result of some normal pushback to the BS sales tactics and "Fuel Savings" guarantees that were pushed by home improvement companies.

You can calculate energy flow through the walls and compare average R-Value of walls with the different windows as a rudimentary comparison. That is what we use to demonstrate a point.

Be sure to not underestimate the fact of air leakage as well.

argulator

#6 Post by argulator »

So, I've been told by both the Sunrise Restorations and V-Class dealers that they can order single-hung windows. I thought the premium Sunrise lines were only available in double hung.??? Would they be the same window as a double hung (same CPD#) with a fixed upper?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Typically, the extrusions are the same. I can't say for certain on the Sunrise unit.

randy

#8 Post by randy »

The premium Sunrise products are only available in double hung configuration. I wouldn't put the single hung in the premium category. Have them show you a sample and see what you think. It's not reinforced either.

argulator

#9 Post by argulator »

That's what has me confused. But both dealers - Restorations and VClass, said they could get SH. Adding to the confusion, the NFRC site lists all Sunrise brands for the SH windows in their catalog.

argulator

#10 Post by argulator »

I called Restorations, who said they did make a single hung. They didn't know ratings, CPD#s, etc off-hand, but said their engineer would call me tomorrow.

randy

#11 Post by randy »

Sorry for the poor communication. I was trying to put the emphasis on "premium". Sunrise makes a single hung window, yes. I would not consider it to be a "premium" product however. It's not reinforced, it's unattractive, and not in the same league as their Vanguard or Restorations, but that's just my opinion.

argulator

#12 Post by argulator »

Understood. The dealers were talking about a "Restorations" and a "V-Class" SH-I specifically asked to make sure they weren't talking about the basic Sunrise unit. Maybe the Sunrise(Restorations) engineer can clarify for me.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Mostly SH are made for the very cheaply minded new construction market.
Compare thickness of extrusions and AI.

argulator

#14 Post by argulator »

As usual, you all are correct. The Sunrise rep confirmed that none of the single hungs, including the "premium" brands, have reinforcement in the single hungs. Makes window shopping very frustrating. I expressed to both salesmen that sash-reinforcement was at the top of my "must-have" list-and then they both give me quotes for windows without it. :(

Delaware Mike

#15 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sunrise sash reinforcement = Rusty Jones anti-rust treatment on cars in the 80'. LOL... I'd rather have a window that didn't need the reinforcement then one that relied upon it. I've only had about 2,000 smiling bottom sash premium grade Sunrise units over the years. Reinforcement is only in the bottom of the upper sash on some of the series. That might help for wind deflection from the movie "The Day After Tomorrow."