Okna grids between the glass

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tedkord

Okna grids between the glass

#1 Post by tedkord »

I know that aluminum is a heat conductor, which is why it's often used in heatsinks. It's also quoted as a negative for the spacers in modern windows for those reasons.

I was just looking at the Okna site, and the grids between the glass are aluminum. That seems kind of counter productive, unless they don't contact the glass on either side. Am I missing something?

Delaware Mike

Re: Okna grids between the glass

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

The grids do not contact the glass. Unless it's a large picture window from Great Lakes or Vista LOL........

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ha!

They don't contact the glass but they do reduce the efficiency slightly and this can be seen in the U-Factor data.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Some window Ufactors are NOT affected by grids. Example, the Okna 800 series has a Ufactor of .26 with or without grids.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above... It should also be noted that Okna's between the glass grids are really no different than anyone elses. No GBG's should have metal to glass contact regardless of manufacturer

tedkord

#6 Post by tedkord »

That answers that. Thanks. I figured it had to be that simple.

While I'm here, a shout out to DelawareMike, with whom I just signed a contract. He was supremely patient with my endless stupid questions, very forthcoming with his install methods and taking me to his worksites to show me the quality of his install work and the items I was interested in. I was a total pain in the ass, and throughout it he was completely professional. I usually second guess my choices on large service purchases like this, but I'm 100% confident I got the right guy.

To top it off, I now know I'll be happy with the music he plays at the job site. I might even be able to lend him a few CDs for the duration.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Great choice in DM, a true craftsman.... Pretty sure that he already owns all of Andy Gibb's music though! :mrgreen:

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

Yeah Mike has all the best music. Im sure he will bring all his Stray Cats Cd's as well as Milli Vanilli .

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

Shadow Dancing still holds the test of time in my book. Had a sealed LP of Andy Gibb in my hand at the local Habitat for Humanity store for $1.00 but had my installers with me and couldn't bring myself to purchase it in front of them. True story.

Probably start the day off with the iPod cranking BTO Taking Care of Business. If that doesn't get me redlined, I'll have to break out some Alcatrazz vintage Jet to Jet. Usually by the end of the day I'm listening to a little Tennessee Ernie Ford "16 tons." I've found that Working Man by Rush increase my metal bending output by 85%.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Isn't it amazing how crappy today's music compared to the older stuff.

Darn it...I feel old.

masterext

#11 Post by masterext »

Hey Mike, you still into break dancing or just devoting all your time to roller disco ..lol