Limited choices on two quotes?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jwood55812

Limited choices on two quotes?

#1 Post by jwood55812 »

Hi all, I've begun getting some quotes on replacing our homes windows and in getting them, the two companies so far have only installed two brands which don't have a ton of appeal around here (Vista and Burris Tectview AC). I was wondering if going with a general contractor is the better way to go about it or if there are better areas in the DFW metro area that would likely have a better selection.

The two quotes I got also seem fairly high from what I've seen, so I was hoping someone could validate or tell me if it's about right. Thanks in advance!

Windows that Need Replacing
1-12x72 picture window
3-72x60 horizontal slider
2-36x60 picture window
3-60x36 horizontal slider
3-96x48 horizontal slider
1-36x24 horizontal slider
1-60x48 horizontal slider
1-72x48 horizontal slider

Quote 1
Burris Tectview AC
270 glass
$6,994

Quote 2
Legacy Vista (Says are made by Simonton - factory direct) - No model numbers, kind of a slick talker, will see if there was more in the brochure at home
Bedroom windows (4) include laminated glass for sound reduction
$9,800

Edit - I'm in the Dallas area, and I did some research and based on what I could find about the Burris windows, they have the following stats

U Factor = 0.28 - 0.33
SHGC = 0.27 - 0.3
VT = 0.5 - 0.56
CR = 60 - 63

Windows on Washington

Re: Limited choices on two quotes?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Paging Randy....

jwood55812

#3 Post by jwood55812 »

Haha! The only reason I didn't PM randy is because when I did the "Get a Quote", it said he was not servicing my area (Euless - 76039), but since it seems like he has a ton of TX experience, I would love to get his opinion on the matter.

I did some more looking based on reviews in the forum and found a couple dealers that sell Sunrise and Soft-Lite windows in Dallas, I'll probably get them out for quotes as well and see what they're able to get me.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

Pricing on the Burris window isn't outrageous, but I'm not a fan. One of the reasons being their standard glass is still Cardinal's 270 and that's not a good choice for Texas. You need the 366 from Cardinal or a comparable Low-E from one of the other manufacturers that will drop the SHGC down into the .19 - .22 range.

Pricing on the Vista is a bit high. I'd see if you can get a quote on Don Young's 5200 series vinyl and/or NT's Energy Master or Presidential as alternatives. If you can locate a local Sunrise dealer, by all means get a quote. I think that given the sizes you have, Sunrise will be somewhat pricey.

I'm not aware that Soft-lite is still available in Dallas.

jwood55812

#5 Post by jwood55812 »

Thanks! I'll e-mail the Burris rep back and see what upping it to 366 would cost us. I'll definitely get a quote on the NT windows, looking at Don Young I'm not sure if there is a way to see who installs them? (I see an e-mail address on their site that I can e-mail and see)

I found a dealer on the Sunrise site, but if you think it will be too pricey given the large sizes I'll avoid going down that route. I don't want to skimp, but I do want to be a bit budget conscious. I did see on the Soft-Lite site there was one supposed dealer in Dallas (Zen Windows) but that might be outdated information, so I appreciate the heads up!

jwood55812

#6 Post by jwood55812 »

OK, I got a couple of updates and wanted to post them. There is also one question that I can't seem to find an answer to, so maybe someone here can help. I have the following window categories..

1 x Picture Window (Next to door)
2 x Vertical hung windows
3 x Three Lite Sliders
9 x Regular Sliders

So when people quote as using single hung or double hung, is it really only changing the two vertical hung windows or do the same characteristics that make it a double hung window apply to sliders as well? Also, I can't seem to find any information on what makes the Burris EX categorically better than the AC even though it seems like it is. Maybe it's a red flag that the rep isn't spelling it out for me, or maybe I'm just dense, but if anyone has experience and can explain it a bit better I'd appreciate it. Don Young is coming out tomorrow, will post when I get their quote, thanks in advance!

Burris Windows
Stay with AC style
Bump up to 366 glass
$7261

Burris Windows
Move to EX style (double hungs it seems?)
Bump up to 366 glass
$8360

Vista (Simonton) Windows
Removing laminated glass from bedrooms
$9460

NT Presedential
Double Hungs
366 glass
$9933

jwood55812

#7 Post by jwood55812 »

Just one more update, got a quote on Don Young 5100/5200's, came in at $8,800 for 15 windows, single hung, low e 366. We have another company coming Monday for a second quote on NT windows and after that I'll make my decision.

I think right now I'm leaning towards Don Young or the NT Presidential series, do you think there is enough better about the NT windows(double hung vs single hungs) to justify an extra $1,000? (Which is really only $66 per window) My wife said she liked the Don Young installer much better than the original NT window pitch, seemed like a used car salesman trying to sell them, so I'm curious to see what the next pitch looks like, I think if I could get the NT windows with the professionalism/no-nonsense of the Don Young installer I would do that, thought?

randy

#8 Post by randy »

Don Young (5200 or 5400) and NT (Energy Master or Presidential) are very comparable products and good solid choices. Therefore, I'd go with the contractor/installation that you feel most comfortable with. Both are better choices than the other brands you were considering IMO.

jwood55812

#9 Post by jwood55812 »

Thanks Randy, you've been a tremendous help!

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

jwood55812 wrote:Thanks Randy, you've been a tremendous help!
He is a beast. :D :D

Thanks Randy!!!

LoneStarGuy

#11 Post by LoneStarGuy »

JWood,
I am in a similar boat as you were. What did you pick for windows, and how is it doing 2+ years later?

jwood55812

#12 Post by jwood55812 »

@LoneStarGuy, sorry I’m just seeing this, but wanted to get back to you! We wound up going with the Don Young’s and couldn’t be happier. They’ve cut down on both heat transfer and sound so much, and have held up so well, I’d recommend them to anyone. If you’re in the DFW area, the company we went with was First Exterior Designs (Lynn Nickols was the person we worked through) and it was a great experience. If you have any specific questions let me know and I’ll answer them, thanks!

LoneStarGuy

#13 Post by LoneStarGuy »

Thanks for replying back. I was still in the market for DYC but decided to DIY but DYC doesn't seem to sell through supply houses in my area.

This week, I just got a quote for windows only from a Sunrise dealer. Their prices seemed a lot higher for the big sliders and glass upgrades are pricier. Next, Sunrise's website really seems to discourage DIY installs while my local manufacturer encourages DIY work. Sunrise was over twice the cost of my local manufacturer with similar specs for u-factor and worse structural ratings and SHGC. Sunrise did better as air leakage, but I am in a relatively low wind area except for the occasional tornado/severe thunderstorm. In that situation, DP trumps air leakage.

Milgard was tempting but I've read too many complaints about slow service (weeks to come out, then weeks to order parts/IGUs) plus they didn't offer the perfect glass package for me and fell behind other options in some criteria - like strength compared to other brands.

I've decided to buy windows from a local manufacturer- they sat down with me and really put together a custom package. I will probably start with just a a few windows to be sure I have the skill and like the quality and then do more from there.